Author Topic: A Few Suggestions  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Hotspur Warrior

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
A Few Suggestions
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:18:43 AM »
Firstly, I'd like to say I'm glad that Sledgweb's Lost... Stuff finally has a forum. It is something I have privately hoped for ever since I found the website, but never voiced the matter because I assumed people were content with voicing their opinions about Lost on the site. I think a forum for a site like Sledgeweb's is necessary because there are a lot of visitors, and therefore lots of discussion. I was very put off scrawling through 600 comments to an episode entry on the main page of the site, but a forum allows you to post specific points in relevent areas rather than everything in one overcrowded area.

My first suggestion for this great looking forum is reorganising the categories. I think they should be presented in this order:

• SWLS News and Info (NOTE: At the moment it reads 'new'. Typo - easily done!)
  • Episode Discussion
  • General Discussion
  • Spoiler Discussion
  • Investigations
  • Q&A
  • Lost Web Related Media Discussion
  • Off Topic

I think that order fairly reflects the most used (when things get going) and most relevent.

My second suggestion is an area for Introductions. Every forum I've ever been on has an area for new people to come on and announce their arrival. I feel this helps build a close and friendly community, which creates a good atmosphere and encourages people to visit and post more.

My third is a minor one. The buttons above where you type your post, such as the 'bold' and 'italic', are very hard to see, because of the white text on light grey background. If there is anything that could be done about that, it would be handy.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:07:43 PM »
Hello, Hotspur, and welcome to the forums!  I think you have good ideas and suggestions, though I can't implement them, it'll be Sledge who makes those decisions. 

However, on this suggestion:

My second suggestion is an area for Introductions. Every forum I've ever been on has an area for new people to come on and announce their arrival. I feel this helps build a close and friendly community, which creates a good atmosphere and encourages people to visit and post more.

I think it's a good one, so I posted a "Welcome, Introductions" sticky thread in the Off-Topic Community Lounge:

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=898.0

If Sledge decides to make a separate Introductions Forum later, we can always move that thread over as well, but until then, feel free to add to that one (all replies will not be lost if we move it later).

Offline stillhaventfound

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:58:17 PM »
Another suggestion: It would be great to implement a way to show all posts since last visit, grouped by thread.

I think the one major hurdle to overcome with the new HEMI & forums is that a lot of people like to read all of the posts- that is what made this different from a lot of other sites.  It may not be possible or may not work, but figured I'd pass it along anyway.

Offline stillhaventfound

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
one more thought: It would also be cool to have a link from each character page in SWLS to the forum related to that character.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:59:06 PM »
Another suggestion: It would be great to implement a way to show all posts since last visit, grouped by thread.

stillhaventfound:  You can do this now.  Look at the top of the forum, under your username.  You should see links for:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

one more thought: It would also be cool to have a link from each character page in SWLS to the forum related to that character.

I don't think we have character forums yet.  Maybe in the future, if Sledge wants to.  For now, we're going to be working on interlinking character and index entries to one another, but that will probably wait til this summer, when Season 2 is complete.