Author Topic: Unnecessary Escape...  (Read 5713 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Escape...
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »

Miles has his diamonds to spend

I totally forgot about that!  Awesome!   ;D  Wonder if he'd share?  Chip in a little to help buy Ricardus a fake passport?  Fund Aaron's college?   :D

Richard is probably already set from his Mittelos front.  Sawyer and Claire should be getting the same payoff as the O6 and Aaron already has his.  Actually, Miles is probably the least well off except for Frank, but they could sue Ajira for a similar payoff like Oceanic!  Makes me want to take a chance and fly more!   ;D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »

Miles has his diamonds to spend

I totally forgot about that!  Awesome!   ;D  Wonder if he'd share?  Chip in a little to help buy Ricardus a fake passport?  Fund Aaron's college?   :D

Richard is probably already set from his Mittelos front.  Sawyer and Claire should be getting the same payoff as the O6 and Aaron already has his.  Actually, Miles is probably the least well off except for Frank, but they could sue Ajira for a similar payoff like Oceanic!  Makes me want to take a chance and fly more!   ;D

Yeah, Miles is pretty set, but I just have a feeling he wouldn't be the kind of guy to share those diamonds. Also, Oceanic may have a fraud case against Kate for lying about her story. Then of course, they would definitely have a case against Widmore Industries for fabricating the fake plane crash. Something tells me Sawyer would find a way of getting a good payoff though.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
Kate and Claire get to raise AAron,

Why does this sound like they're going to make a lovely lesbian couple raising a family together? lol :)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 12:16:11 AM »
The plane escape doesn't sit well with me either.  It was pretty worthless, and I don't like that they can easily leave and not care about at least leaving Hurley behind.  Oh well.  I wish they did a lot of things different for the finale but it is what it is.  I can only hope Lindeloff and Cuse will read my brilliant suggestions and bring everyone back to reshoot the Lost Finale: Maxor127 Cut.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
The plane escape doesn't sit well with me either.  It was pretty worthless, and I don't like that they can easily leave and not care about at least leaving Hurley behind.  Oh well.  I wish they did a lot of things different for the finale but it is what it is.  I can only hope Lindeloff and Cuse will read my brilliant suggestions and bring everyone back to reshoot the Lost Finale: Maxor127 Cut.

Hurley chose to stay behind. Remember the scene on the cliff when they all split up. Hurley decided to stay with Jack while Kate and Sawyer took off. Jack likely knew he wasn't going to make it from his stab wound and knew someone would have to protect the Island after he died. Thats why he talked Kate into leaving, but didn't put up a fight when Hurley said he'd stay. He knew it had to be Hurley.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 03:11:14 AM »
Yeah, but as far as everyone on the plane was concerned, the island was going to sink and Hurley was going to die.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 03:24:07 AM »
Yeah, but as far as everyone on the plane was concerned, the island was going to sink and Hurley was going to die.

Well, it's not as if they showed everyone's reactions later after letting the reality of it all sink in...all Kate, Sawyer, Miles and the rest were thinking was they need to escape, and now. Actually, that's an incredibly realistic reaction so it works for me. It's waaaay too "hollywood"-ish to constantly have people risking their lives because they MUST save every single character in the movie or tv show lol...even the pets.

"Where's Boomer?!...Here, Boomer! Here, boy!!" - Independence Day, as the world literally explodes all around Vivica Fox and her young son.

Ripley looking all over the spaceship for the damn cat, even though there's a 10 foot tall face-eating, acid-dripping alien after her lol...

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »
But since the entire point of the 5th season was to rescue everyone on the island and bring them back, now they leave people behind again.  And Jack basically wanting to commit suicide because of the guilt of leaving those people behind.  Now Hurley is expendable?  Nope, sorry, doesn't sit well with me.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 04:13:21 AM »
The point is, Hurley chose to stay behind. The decision was made on the cliff. After that...whatever happens, happens. There was never a moment of, "ah screw Hurley, we're outta here." Hurley had his chance, and he wanted to stay with Jack to whatever end. Hurley was never expendable. He was very very heroic to stay with Jack to the end.

We thought the point of the 5th season was to rescue everyone, but we found out this season that Jack's purpose was much greater. Yes, part of it was to save those that got away, hence his smile at seeing the plane fly overhead through the bamboo thicket, however, Jack's destiny to save the Island, and perhaps mankind was fulfilled as well.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »
But since the entire point of the 5th season was to rescue everyone on the island and bring them back, now they leave people behind again.  And Jack basically wanting to commit suicide because of the guilt of leaving those people behind.  Now Hurley is expendable?  Nope, sorry, doesn't sit well with me.

What? How did you come to the conclusion that Jack was wanting to "commit suicide" due to guilt of the people left behind? Seriously, I have ZERO idea where you got that from. Jack's inner transformation was not all that different from Desmond's sudden enlightenment and the realization of what MUST be done...and him being OK with it. Jack's transformation took a lot longer, but he reached the same place...he knew what must be done and was OK with doing so. No "guilt" necessary.

And as Casey has said numerous times, Hurley WANTED to stay behind. Why that doesn't matter to you and you can ONLY see it as the others viewing Hurley as expendable, I don't understand.

As for the point of season 5...Jack already said that the reason he came back was because he thought the island could "fix" him ("I came back because I was broken"). Do you remember, in season 5, when Juliet and Jack had this exchange in the bathroom?

JACK: I came back here because I care, Juliet. I came back here because I was trying to save you.

JULIET: We didn't need saving. We've been fine for three years. You came back here for you. At least do me the courtesy of telling me why.

JACK: I came back...because I was supposed to.

JULIET: Supposed to do what?

JACK: [Scoffs] I don't know yet.

JULIET: Well, you'd better figure it out.

So that kind of puts a dent in your theory that all of season 5 was geared around getting everyone off the island, doesn't it? Jack may have said that's why he went back, but it's made DAMN clear in that exchange that it wasn't the real reason he went back...that Jack didn't know yet why he came back, only that he "knew" he was supposed to. And as mentioned before, Jack further explains to Hurley that the underlying reason he came back was because he was "broken" and thought the island could "fix" him. No talk about getting everyone off the island that was left behind before.

Why did Hurley come back? Because Jacob visited him and set his path in motion...as Jacob said, some people just need to be told directly what to do, and Hurley was one of those people. Why did Sun come back? Because she was made to believe Jin was still alive, and she ONLY went back for him. Why did Sayid go back? He was forced lol...Ilana had him handcuffed and under arrest. Why did Kate come back? To find Claire and return her to Aaron.

Again, the idea that the "entire point of season 5" was to get everyone off the island is false.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »

What? How did you come to the conclusion that Jack was wanting to "commit suicide" due to guilt of the people left behind? Seriously, I have ZERO idea where you got that from.

I think the reference was to when bearded, strung-out Jack was going to jump off the bridge, before he got distracted by having to rescue the people who were in the car crash.

Again, the idea that the "entire point of season 5" was to get everyone off the island is false.

Not entirely false -- your examples show that Kate went back to get Claire to bring her back to Aaron, and Sun went back to get Jin and bring him back.  I think Jack started out by thinking he had to go back to "rescue" everyone and at that point he thought it probably meant he had to bring them back with him, not that he'd have to do what he ended up doing.  Hurley, Sayid, Lapidus, Ben... yeah, not coming back for a rescue so much, I agree.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:02:48 PM by Madam P »

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »

What? How did you come to the conclusion that Jack was wanting to "commit suicide" due to guilt of the people left behind? Seriously, I have ZERO idea where you got that from.

I think the reference was to when bearded, strung-out Jack was going to jump off the bridge, before he got distracted by having to rescue the people who were in the car crash.

Not entirely false -- your examples show that Kate went back to get Claire to bring her back to Aaron, and Sun went back to get Jin and bring him back.  I think Jack started out by thinking he had to go back to "rescue" everyone and at that point he thought it probably meant he had to bring them back with him, not that he'd have to do what he ended up doing.  Hurley, Sayid, Lapidus, Ben... yeah, not coming back for a rescue so much, I agree.
You're apparently the only one who understood my simple argument.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 02:57:51 AM »

Yeah, here I am thinking your simple arguement was the characters felt "Hurley was expendable". Silly me.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 03:19:47 AM »

Read the quote again, though:

entire point of the 5th season was to rescue everyone on the island and bring them back

Do you REALLY think the "entire point" of season 5 was to bring everyone back?

Kate wanted to bring ONE person back: Claire. And she did.

Sun only went because she wanted to bring ONE person back: Jin. They both died together before she could do so.

Jack tried to convince himself that he needed to bring the rest back, but even Juliet called him out on it and made him admit that he didn't come back for them, he came back for himself.

Hurley, Sayid, Lapidus, Ben...they didn't come back for anyone at all.

So Max's original comment--that not insisting on taking Hurley with them on the plane somehow contradicts the "entire point" of season 5--would indeed appear to be false, no? Letting Hurley stay behind on his own accord and by his own wishes does abso-stinkin-lutely nothing to contradict anything in season 5 or anything we've come to be shown about all of the characters. It's a weak point he's making as a foundation for complaining. The show actually told us point-blank that NONE of the returning O6 returned to the island to "bring everyone back".

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 03:22:17 AM »

Yeah, here I am thinking your simple arguement was the characters felt "Hurley was expendable". Silly me.

Yeah, I guess I misunderstood the statement "Now Hurley is expendable?" as meaning the characters thought--wait for it--Hurley was expendable lol. Not sure how I could have become so confused. ;)