Author Topic: "The long con."  (Read 1834 times)

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
"The long con."
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:18 AM »
Discuss...

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "The long con."
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
What long con? MIB's loophole or Jacob conning MIB?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
Please don't tell me this is yet another Lost-bashing thread sugesting that we've all been long-conned by TPTB!  If, so, the moderators should just merge it with the other ones that go nowhere.  Otherwise, if it refers to Sawyer telling Jack his plan to kill MIB was a long con, then what's there to discuss?  It was a pretty slim long-shot.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
matahari, was there something specific you wished to discuss.  Since you brought it up you must have issues or questions in mind, otherwise there is no point in commanding us to discuss something for your own entertainment. 

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:24:01 PM »
Please don't tell me this is yet another Lost-bashing thread sugesting that we've all been long-conned by TPTB!  If, so, the moderators should just merge it with the other ones that go nowhere.  Otherwise, if it refers to Sawyer telling Jack his plan to kill MIB was a long con, then what's there to discuss?  It was a pretty slim long-shot.

Yeah, that was one of my favorite lines from the episode. When you look at Jack's strategy, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "long con" but it's a phrase that Sawyer has used throughout the show so the line fit real well. Watching it the first time, I was pretty much thinking the same thing Sawyer was, Jack was taking one hell of a gamble. That suspense really added soooo much to the finale.

I posted sometime before the finale, that part of what makes it so suspensful was that, even after talking with Jacob, we had no idea how MIB could be beaten. I knew at some point in the finale, somebody was going to do the "I have an idea, and it's so crazy it just might work" type of line. We got it from Jack and it definitely hightened the suspense.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »

Yeah, that was one of my favorite lines from the episode. When you look at Jack's strategy, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "long con" but it's a phrase that Sawyer has used throughout the show so the line fit real well. Watching it the first time, I was pretty much thinking the same thing Sawyer was, Jack was taking one hell of a gamble. That suspense really added soooo much to the finale.

I posted sometime before the finale, that part of what makes it so suspensful was that, even after talking with Jacob, we had no idea how MIB could be beaten. I knew at some point in the finale, somebody was going to do the "I have an idea, and it's so crazy it just might work" type of line. We got it from Jack and it definitely hightened the suspense.

I thought it was pretty funny that all along everyone had been all "ooohhh, stay away from the light; don't go down there; it has to be protected" and then all of a sudden everyone is "OK, so let's go down to the Light!" and everyone is totally in favor of it!   ;D  Even Desmond!  "Okie-dokie, let's go!"  I swear I almost heard them singing "Heigh-Ho!" from Snow White as they went tripping down the path towards the Magic Spring...    :D

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:43 PM »

I thought it was pretty funny that all along everyone had been all "ooohhh, stay away from the light; don't go down there; it has to be protected" and then all of a sudden everyone is "OK, so let's go down to the Light!" and everyone is totally in favor of it!   ;D  Even Desmond!  "Okie-dokie, let's go!"  I swear I almost heard them singing "Heigh-Ho!" from Snow White as they went tripping down the path towards the Magic Spring...    :D

Well, to be fair, it was only FLocke, Jack and Desmond who were OK with going down into the cave and into the light...and that was only because Desmond knew he would likely survive the trip. FLocke had been "born" down there, so to speak, and knew he could use Desmond's special abilities to destroy the island (or so he hoped)...and Jack assumed Jacob knew that Desmond going into the cave would actually turn him into some sort of "weapon" he could use to defeat FLocke. Both FLocke and Jack were right, it turns out. And so was Desmond, as he survived what would normally kill everyone else. So in reality, it made sense for those three men to really have no problem with the journey.