Author Topic: I like that Christianity was front and center in the afterlife.  (Read 3106 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: I like that Christianity was front and center in the afterlife.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
In Christianity, there are stories where gatherings of people are hearing the Word of God, whether through the Holy Spirit or the apostles, and they each hear it in their own language.  I loved how Lost seemed to be doing just that.  As a Christian, I saw the island as the Garden of Eden.  I theorized how MIB could be the fallen angel Satan (back before we knew he was just a man once).  A small part of me even wondered if Jacob was going to rise up again on the third day (boy was I way off on that one!) and after that weird 'madonna and child' dream sequence with Claire and Aaron (definitely Christian themed there, no doubt!) I thought Aaron was the second coming of the Messiah (another one just slightly off!).  But the point in the end was that we could all see the story from our own perspectives and translate the meaning to fit our own beliefs.  The only 'faith' that wasn't supported in the end was 'science'. 

Now that it's all over, I'd like to thank the members who've supported my 'Christian-leaning' posts (we did start off in the beginning with a dead guy named Christian Shephard!  Seriously, what was I supposed to think?!)  But also, thanks to the members who've politely disagreed without being insulting.  That's respect.  That's acceptance.  That's class.  That's what the world needs more of.

Offline bluesmanjay

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »
Yeah, how was Christianity front and center?  The whole point was that they were meeting together in some kind of purgatory/limbo situation.  Christianity doesn't even believe in purgatory.  I think that's just a Catholic thing.

LOL...This was kind of funny to me. "Christianity doesn't even believe in purgatory...I think that's just a Catholic thing." The reason it's so funny to me is Catholic's are Christian. To be Christian one has to be a follower and believer in Christ. Catholics are just that. Not sure why people seem to think Catholics are not part of Christendom. I'm not Catholic, but I am an ordained minister, and just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
Yeah, how was Christianity front and center?  The whole point was that they were meeting together in some kind of purgatory/limbo situation.  Christianity doesn't even believe in purgatory.  I think that's just a Catholic thing.

LOL...This was kind of funny to me. "Christianity doesn't even believe in purgatory...I think that's just a Catholic thing." The reason it's so funny to me is Catholic's are Christian. To be Christian one has to be a follower and believer in Christ. Catholics are just that. Not sure why people seem to think Catholics are not part of Christendom. I'm not Catholic, but I am an ordained minister, and just wanted to throw my two cents in.

lostandfree wasn't saying Catholics aren't Christians, just that not all Christians believe in Purgatory.  Different factions of Christians follow different beliefs, which is why there are soooooo many branches.  I've belonged to different congregations and I've seen major differences.  The Lutheran church for example, although they believe in the saints, they don't pray to them (not even to Mary) and they display no statues.  And their cross is just the cross, no body of Christ is displayed. 

Offline COL Kurtz

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »
The story was a Christian allegory.  Carlton Cuse stated that.  So all you non-believers - start believing or you will end up like Ben (not invited to the party).

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
The story was a Christian allegory.  Carlton Cuse stated that.  So all you non-believers - start believing or you will end up like Ben (not invited to the party).

Interview with Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof 2/12/08
Damon Lindelof: Well... we try to infuse the show with all sorts of religious allegory, depending on what kind of story we're telling.

The Eastern religion and mysticism is something that started coming up a lot as we talked about the Dharma Initiative... but the thinking was more, "What if these hippies from Ann Arbor, Michigan were kind of like the Beatles and thought a trip to India could spiritually rebirth them?"

Hopefully, when all is said and done, the themes of the show are hopefully universally spiritual... at least that's what we're going for.

Can one of the mods do something about this COL Kurtz guy? He just goes around posting pure bullsh!t like a Lost Movie is in the works, or Carlton Cuse said Lost is a Christian allegory. Kurtz is clearly just trolling trying to instigate an arguement by posting misinformation.

Word of advice to anyone else, don't get sucked into Kurtz's little game.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 05:36:12 PM »

Col Kurtz, I wonder exactly what finale you were watching, because I did not see what you claimed to see.  The church was not primarily Christian (as the stained glass window and all the relics showed) and Ben was indeed invited, Hurley asked him but Ben declined his invitation.

Perhaps you should contact your cable/satellite provider and straighten this out, as your channels must be crossed.

And thank you for being concerned about my well being, but I'll take my chances as a non-believer.
Have a super day!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »

Col Kurtz, I wonder exactly what finale you were watching, because I did not see what you claimed to see.  The church was not primarily Christian (as the stained glass window and all the relics showed) and Ben was indeed invited, Hurley asked him but Ben declined his invitation.

Perhaps you should contact your cable/satellite provider and straighten this out, as your channels must be crossed.

And thank you for being concerned about my well being, but I'll take my chances as a non-believer.
Have a super day!

NC, this is exactly the kind of reaction Kurtz is trying to instigate. He's what we call a "troll". Somebody that goes around in forums posting garbage trying to pick a fight. The best thing to do is just not feed into it. We all know the absurdity of what he is saying, so don't get worked up over it. It's what he wants.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
Not to address the troll, but Ben WAS invited to the party.  He just chose not to go in...he wasn't ready yet.  But he was invited.  By Hurley.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 06:48:13 PM »
This is going nowhere. Locked.