Author Topic: Nadia  (Read 2288 times)

Offline motorcycle

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Nadia
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »
Does anyone believe Sayid loved Shannon more than Nadia? Sayid described the months he was married to Nadia as he the happiest in his life (after he had known Shannon) and Nadia wrote the note in Iraq that she'd "see him in the next life if not this one".

Now all that is forgotten as a two week affair with Shannon where they had nothing in common gets precedence as the woman he enters 'heaven' with?

Offline COL Kurtz

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Nadia
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
At ease there motorcycle.  There are plenty of things that didnt coalesce.  So keep it to yourself.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »
Yes, this has bothered me a lot. He spent half his life looking for her and then he dies and she is forgotten because of Shannon?? However,in his alt timeline he felt he wasn't worthy enough for Nadia so perhaps that is why he is with Shannon.  Either that or she didn't go to heaven?????????????

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
This wasn't the only inconsistency in the finale (or Season 6), but imo I think it was definitely one of the biggest.

It was the writers trying to fool the larger audience into thinking that the entire 6 seasons mattered, when they didn't. Really, only seasons 5 and 6 mattered, what with the way they junked most all of the early plot lines in favor of Jacob.  So, when the finale came, they picked and choosed which of the old characters and plot lines they would resolve, and which ones they'd leave on the cutting room floor.  As a consequence, they were heavy-handed with pretty much everything they revealed, including the delivering of the "Adam and Eve" explanation, complete with the clip from the 1st season.  Shannon and Boone reappearing was just another stab at trying to make viewers think that the writers knew what they were doing all along, even though we know that they didn't.  Why not bring back Paulo and Nikki while they're at it?

The actor who played Mr Eko was apparently offered a big sum to make an appearance in the finale. According to the story out there right now, he asked for 5 times the amount from the producers and was turned down. So, what if he had accepted their initial offer? My guess is that he would've shown up as a quick-fix cameo, nothing more. 

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
Does anyone believe Sayid loved Shannon more than Nadia? Sayid described the months he was married to Nadia as he the happiest in his life (after he had known Shannon) and Nadia wrote the note in Iraq that she'd "see him in the next life if not this one".

Now all that is forgotten as a two week affair with Shannon where they had nothing in common gets precedence as the woman he enters 'heaven' with?

I had trouble with this too, you're not alone.
I definitely saw Nadia as the love of his life and had practically forgotten about his affair with Shannon.
I went to Lostpedia for help with this and found:

The Man in Black then cryptically offered anything Sayid wanted in exchange for his help, though the one thing Sayid wanted had "died in his arms".

Both Shannon and Nadia died in his arms, but I'm pretty sure MOST of us thought Nadia when Sayid said that. (it's implied at Lostpedia if you follow links). I really think you'd be hard pressed for anyone to say, "oh he means Shannon!"

But Nadia had never been to the island and it didn't fit, so they dropped the ball on this one.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
Did you guys all forget that really touching scene with Nadia and Sayid? Granted it was in the sideflash world, but I think it still hold true. As much as he loved Nadia, he couldn't be with her because he didn't deserve her.

Call me an apologist or whatever, but I think it totally fits. A surprise, to be sure, but definitely very cool.

Offline sadavidas

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
My only guess on this was is explained by the flash-sideways where Sayid was not married to Nadia.  In the reality they created for themselves he was not married to her. 

Why?  My guess would be he felt unworthy of her love because of what he did to her whereas he felt more deserving of Shannon's love.  That's my only guess.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
I really wasn't surprised that Sayid ended up with Shannon.  His happiest time was the time he spent with Nadia, but the most important time in his life was on the island.  That's where he redeemed himself.  That's where he changed into a better Sayid.  I'm happy with the Sayid/Shannon reunion.   

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
At ease there motorcycle.  There are plenty of things that didnt coalesce.  So keep it to yourself.
Keep it to your self?  In case you didn't notice, this is a discussion forum.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »
I really wasn't surprised that Sayid ended up with Shannon.  His happiest time was the time he spent with Nadia, but the most important time in his life was on the island.  That's where he redeemed himself.  That's where he changed into a better Sayid.  I'm happy with the Sayid/Shannon reunion.   

Very very very well said! This is more what I tried to mean, but it came out all jerkish. Well done, SOL.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
Keep it to your self?  In case you didn't notice, this is a discussion forum.

Kurtz is just trolling around trying to instigate rubbish. Pay no mind.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »

You said this much better then I tried to in the above post!

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »
I didn't like Sayid/Shannon at all.  It may have been the most ridiculous thing to happen on this show of frozen donkey wheels, magic light, and Ben/Rousseau hookups.  It's probably the only thing on the show I'll have trouble ever buying into.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 08:16:41 AM »
Well perhaps you can think of it this way. As soon as Sayid goes through that door--he ditches Shannon and finds Nadia. Actually it's heaven, so maybe he can have both......

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »
Everyone who knows how much I obsessed over Lost asked me what I thought of the finale. I said every time, "I loved it! Except for the Sayid/Shannon foolishness."

This makes the most sense of any way I've tried to look at it. Because otherwise it just makes Shannon a booby prize.