Author Topic: Questions?  (Read 5405 times)

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Questions?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 12:36:21 AM »
Here is what I think is lovely about Lost - it's the possibilities.  Lost is like a Lego set:  you can make the thing on the front of the box, or you can delve into uncharted territory; the provided building blocks allow you to create things not shown on the box.  Lost did much the same thing - it was the box of Lego bricks that at first let us make the story that everyone saw, then it got us to ask questions and more importantly, as this thread (the the 5 parallel threads) shows, it gave us the building block to construct our answers.  Very little of the answers of Lost come from direct cannon, but in the lush architecture of the story (and a little common sense) an effective answer CAN be crafted.

The question ought not be what did Lost answer; it ought to be what did Lost give us to create our own answers to our own questions.
I didn't want a box of Legos that can be mish-mashed together in any way I imagine, with 15 pieces left over that I don't know what to do with.

I wanted a puzzle in which each piece fits together just right.  As I put each piece in, the finished work becomes closer and closer.  And when it is done, I have a sense of "completedness".

I believe that on the most superficial level, the show did that.  The questions we have are our questions, not questions the show raised.  I think you can take Lost on face and let it be and have that "completeness."  Just don't go looking deeper and asking those questions unless you are looking for an intellectual exercise - one like we practice on this forum - of tweaking pieces to fit a new model we imagine, or are inspired to create, from the writers' original works.  For example: we were answered what the smoke monster was - it was created from Jacob's tossing his brother into the light.  Now, does that raise 5 new questions - yes; but those are our questions, not the show's.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
I love this thread!  It's pretty clear there are just two different personality types out there -- both avid fans of "Lost," both intelligent and observant, both able to clearly articulate ideas, and both on totally opposite sides of the "Chasm of The Great Unknown."  LOL.  We're like katbriil and her husband, except it's awesome that we can all still talk about stuff here, though!:

-I just want to KNOW. I liked the ending, but I wish they had told me more.
-It doesn't matter. You're missing the point.
-No, I get the point, but I still want to know.
-Shut up. I can't talk about this with you anymore.

Love the analogy of "Lost" as a Lego set -- some people want to put it together like the picture on the box with no pieces left over, and some people want to make totally different stuff out of it.  Neither is wrong -- just different.  I happen to be like cookieshoes and My Sideways Self -- I prefer the picture on the box.  So there's a valid argument to be made when the "instructions inside the box" (what we were ultimately given in canon) turns out to make something that doesn't really look like the picture on the box, even though there is also a completely valid argument that "Hey, but look how cool it looks anyway!"  LOL.

I think what IAJ said here:  The chamber was most likely created by the first protector. The GOD of the island if you will. That is probably why it was never answered. They did not want to put the onus singularly on one deity. is probably absolutely correct.  TPTB had created something really cool here, but they were treading on thin ice.  For a TV show, they almost couldn't go there.  They went right up to the doorway, but it just wouldn't work for them to go through.  They just had to leave it, and say "it doesn't matter anyway; go make up your own solution."  That is their prerogative as writers, but there's no denying it makes the puzzle-solvers amongst us a little bit twitchy.  And it's annoying to us when they try to brush it aside and re-direct our attention by trivializing some of the points brought up in interviews -- it really feels like the Wizard of Oz saying "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... look at the pretty special effects!"  LOL.  Oh well.  I think cookieshoes had it right that TPTB just made a few promises they couldn't keep (which might be understandable given that they were "selling" a show and had to do all they could to keep everyone's interest high and keep people invested) and started a few things they couldn't possibly finish.  They probably couldn't help that... and those of us that are the "puzzle-solvers" can't help but feel a little disappointed by it.  Not that we "don't get it," but just that we're a little disappointed.  At least, that's how I see it.

Offline Bradislost09

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
I love this thread!  It's pretty clear there are just two different personality types out there -- both avid fans of "Lost," both intelligent and observant, both able to clearly articulate ideas, and both on totally opposite sides of the "Chasm of The Great Unknown."  LOL. 

Thank you for saying that.  I am tired of people claiming that those of us who were dissappointed with the ending were not true fans of the show.  I was as much a fan as anyone, guaranteed, and am unhappy with how it was resolved.   You are right though, at least we have the ability to talk it out. 

Offline Tbone67

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
Been lurking mostly and post infrequently but I have to say that at the first viewing of The End I was very conflicted about the way TPTB chose the ending and it totally ruined my Monday. After watching it a couple of more times I like it better and have come to terms with how TPTB chose to end it. IMO although it didn't have that perfect Hollywood ending that I've been brainwashed with, I finally accepted it for what it was.

I have never gotten so attached to a TV show like I have with Lost - and I blame my wife for it. I'm fine (for the most part) with not having every single loose end tied up or question answered. I like the fact that I can come to my own conclusions (or borrow some of your theories as I've done since I discovered this site) about how things went. I know this bothers some of us who need an absolute definitive answer and I've given up on the notion that I will get or need them all addressed.

Anyways, on the whole I think Lost is/was one of the best series ever to air on TV. And yes, Preparation H is good...... on the whole.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
I am just trying to help.

Well, one of the things is this baby business.
If women are not able to conceive and give birth on the island (they can either come pregnant or go away to give birth), what with Ethan?
OK, I understand, that Amy MIGHT have conceived off the island, but there is no indication she did, so this is not the answer I'm looking for.

Christian.
Was his body used by MiB only? Was it MiB or Jacob who didn't want to give Locke a hand when he was about to move the wheel? Was it MiB or Jacob who set Michael free?

Bodies.
If there was a strict rule about the bodies (implied elsewhere) because MiB could use them, why was the Dharma grave left open? Apart from dramatical purposes.

In ALT.
If you can only move on when you reconnect with significant people in your life, why didn't Sayeed reconnect with Dogan before moving on?

I am disappointed probably because I didn't like Vanilla Sky and the whole ALT idea resembled it too much for me. As much as I am a big sucker for philosophical speculation I would very much prefer the time IMO wasted on the ALT to be used for some more satisfying storytelling. I take it's about 50% of season 6. I understand it's just my personal preference, but this is the way I feel.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
I am just trying to help.

Well, one of the things is this baby business.
If women are not able to conceive and give birth on the island (they can either come pregnant or go away to give birth), what with Ethan?
OK, I understand, that Amy MIGHT have conceived off the island, but there is no indication she did, so this is not the answer I'm looking for.It has been banded about, I can't remember where, that the Others routinely brought people off the island to reproduce because of the problem with child bearing.

Christian.
Was his body used by MiB only? Was it MiB or Jacob who didn't want to give Locke a hand when he was about to move the wheel? Was it MiB or Jacob who set Michael free?
MiB was Christian on the island. The Christian on the Freighter could have been either MiB or Christian. My guess is Christian, but in the grand scheme it really doesn't matter. Michael achieved his purpose to help the Oceanic 6 get off the island so MiB could use them after they were brought back.

Bodies.
If there was a strict rule about the bodies (implied elsewhere) because MiB could use them, why was the Dharma grave left open? Apart from dramatical purposes.

Dharma Mass grave may have been before the scope of MiB's powers were really known.

In ALT.
If you can only move on when you reconnect with significant people in your life, why didn't Sayeed reconnect with Dogan before moving on?

Really? Okay. Sayid didn't reconnect with Dogen because Dogen was largely unimportant in Sayid's life. The most important time of his life was spent on the island, and Shannon was the most important person in that reralm of his life.

I am disappointed probably because I didn't like Vanilla Sky and the whole ALT idea resembled it too much for me. As much as I am a big sucker for philosophical speculation I would very much prefer the time IMO wasted on the ALT to be used for some more satisfying storytelling. I take it's about 50% of season 6. I understand it's just my personal preference, but this is the way I feel.