Author Topic: My Biggest Complaint  (Read 2754 times)

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
My Biggest Complaint
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:08:38 AM »
My biggest complaint about the season finale is the stuff I'm reading from news outlets and websites through google news where people point out that Damon said long ago that they weren't in purgatory.  Then the writer goes on to say, "well I guess he lied flat-out, it was soooo obvious even seasons ago."

To these people I say - take the show as a whole, or don't take it at all.  If you have an incomplete impression of the show, then just shut up.

They weren't in purgatory the whole time, and if you'd actually paid attention to the things that were stated out-right in the finale, you'd know that.

Only the "sideways" of season 6 was any sort of afterlife, you smug, ill-informed, opinionated wing-bags.

Rargh!

I know full well that show was not just a phenomenon, it was also a very polarizing thing.  You either loved it, and watched it.  Or hated it, and either quit watching or pressed on despite that because you wanted to know what it was about.  Or never gave it the time of day and then complained when you tried to watch and were confused.

Whether you loved it or hated it, just as with anything in life that has a clear beginning, middle, and end. - don't react or comment on it out of ignorance.  I don't care if you hated it like crazy by the end and want to talk about it, so long as you put forward a good try and have a complete impression.  Then you have a right to say what you think.

I don't engage in conversations about politics in any fashion because I don't have a complete understanding of it, one way or another.  So to these writers I say, don't comment on something out of ignorance.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: My Biggest Complaint
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:44:53 AM »
Nice post, Quick.
I've heard people with legitimate complaints, so I don't want to demean their feelings. However, I must say that when I hear their complaints, I simply disagree with them. For example, they say something like they wanted more information about the Island...well we went inside the heart of the Island. Any more detail, and I think the Island starts to lose a bit of its magic that makes it so attractive.

Now, apart from the people with legitimate feelings are the critics that you talk about. There are people, and they are always out there, that simply say something sucks just so they sound smart. For example, they say the ending was too mushy, like it was something out of Highway to Heaven...too mushy? really? It was the last episode of a series that had huge emotional highs and lows and mind bending twists. If the finale wasn't incredibly emotional, it would have failed.

Some of the critics, like the ones you mention, remind me of that gag in History of the World Part 1 where they say the invention of the first artist spawned the invention of the first art critic. Some people just like to exert a sense of superiorty by simply pissing on something that is well loved without any real understanding of it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:47:25 AM by CaseyMac »

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:03:32 AM »
My biggest complaint is that Sawyer did absolutely nothing in the finale and had no island moment for himself.  I think he should've been the one to shoot MIB just so he'd have accomplished something.  I think he could've sold the cheesy line better too.  Instead, his moment apparently was going on a 2 minute solo recon and hiding behind a bush only to get caught.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
I've seen reports in the media as well talking about purgatory and it makes me want to scream. However, true fans know the truth! As for Sawyer I was disapointed too. I don't know why they didn't.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
I think Lost is what you yourself make out of it. If I feel it was all about Jack's redemption, then you can't change my mind.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
My biggest complaint about the season finale is the stuff I'm reading from news outlets and websites through google news where people point out that Damon said long ago that they weren't in purgatory.  Then the writer goes on to say, "well I guess he lied flat-out, it was soooo obvious even seasons ago."

To these people I say - take the show as a whole, or don't take it at all.  If you have an incomplete impression of the show, then just shut up.

They weren't in purgatory the whole time, and if you'd actually paid attention to the things that were stated out-right in the finale, you'd know that.

Only the "sideways" of season 6 was any sort of afterlife, you smug, ill-informed, opinionated wing-bags.

Rargh!

I know full well that show was not just a phenomenon, it was also a very polarizing thing.  You either loved it, and watched it.  Or hated it, and either quit watching or pressed on despite that because you wanted to know what it was about.  Or never gave it the time of day and then complained when you tried to watch and were confused.

Whether you loved it or hated it, just as with anything in life that has a clear beginning, middle, and end. - don't react or comment on it out of ignorance.  I don't care if you hated it like crazy by the end and want to talk about it, so long as you put forward a good try and have a complete impression.  Then you have a right to say what you think.

I don't engage in conversations about politics in any fashion because I don't have a complete understanding of it, one way or another.  So to these writers I say, don't comment on something out of ignorance.

So when exactly did they get to "purgatory"???

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
I think Lost is what you yourself make out of it. If I feel it was all about Jack's redemption, then you can't change my mind.

Yes, it is up to all to interpret individually which is kind of like how we interpret faith and life in our own lives. I really like that about Lost--how it correlates to beliefs

Offline katbriil

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:41:20 AM »
So when exactly did they get to "purgatory"???

After they died in the real world. There is no specific time. Each person entered the "purgatory" once they died, but they all entered it at the same point in the "purgatory timeline" - which is when the plane hit turbulence.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
I read an article last night summarizing fan reaction.  I swear some of the people they quoted either did not watch the finale, or totally, utterly failed to comprehend any aspect of it.  It is so clear from the finale that the flash-sideways, and only the flash-sideways, represented purgatory.  Everything in the island timeline was real.  They were NOT dead the whole time as some people are being quoted as saying. 

I've got no problem with people who didn't like the finale or Lost in general or feel let down, I respect everyone's opinion.  But to base the opinion on your own lack of understanding of what was clearly spelled out in the episode, well, its frusterating to see innacurracies about the show spread because apparently so many people misunderstood.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
I was getting my haircut and The View was on. Whoopi was on there complaining about the ending and saying many of the wrong things that are already out there. You'd think ABC would prep her since it was one of their shows!!!!!!!!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
My biggest complaint is that Sawyer did absolutely nothing in the finale and had no island moment for himself.  I think he should've been the one to shoot MIB just so he'd have accomplished something.  I think he could've sold the cheesy line better too.  Instead, his moment apparently was going on a 2 minute solo recon and hiding behind a bush only to get caught.

Sawyer stole the gun that shot MIB from Ben, giving Ben 1 final beat down.  He got Kate to the plane in time. He made a final peace with Jack. Plus Sawyer worked in a number of the coolest lines in the episode ("Thats one hell of a long con, Doc."). I see what you guys are saying though, but Sawyer was pretty important throughout the whole last season. The finale was more...Jack centric.

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »

Sawyer stole the gun that shot MIB from Ben, giving Ben 1 final beat down.  He got Kate to the plane in time. He made a final peace with Jack. Plus Sawyer worked in a number of the coolest lines in the episode ("Thats one hell of a long con, Doc."). I see what you guys are saying though, but Sawyer was pretty important throughout the whole last season. The finale was more...Jack centric.

Just like the pilot...taking us full circle.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
I know this might be semantics, but even the Sideways world really couldn't be considered "purgatory".  Stealing a definition from Meriam-Webster: "a place or state of punishment wherein according to Roman Catholic doctrine the souls of those who die in God's grace may make satisfaction for past sins and so become fit for heaven".  They weren't in the Sideways world for punishment... they created this as a gathering place so they could "move on" together.  "Purgatory" immediately makes me think of a punishment for souls and thus I need to draw a distinction between that and what they were seemingly experiencing.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
I know this might be semantics, but even the Sideways world really couldn't be considered "purgatory".  Stealing a definition from Meriam-Webster: "a place or state of punishment wherein according to Roman Catholic doctrine the souls of those who die in God's grace may make satisfaction for past sins and so become fit for heaven".  They weren't in the Sideways world for punishment... they created this as a gathering place so they could "move on" together.  "Purgatory" immediately makes me think of a punishment for souls and thus I need to draw a distinction between that and what they were seemingly experiencing.

They never said purgatory. People are jumping to that conclusion. Christian said a 'place'. I am picturing it as a waiting room off of heaven.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
ya i didn't like the word "purgatory" being used... i don't think its an apt description since they weren't paying off the debts of their sins there or anything like that. i've also been annoyed with fan's reactions that have been portrayed by the media. its so amazing to me that people who can't comprehend anything about the show or the finale think they have legitimate complaints, even though their questions would have been answered if they had just payed attention