Author Topic: Misdirection  (Read 1673 times)

Offline JF

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Misdirection
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
First, let me say I loved the finale. I cried more than I cried in Up and Lorenzo's Oil combined.

Thinking back on the Sideways world, though, I realized there was a ton of misdirection this season. This is a common storytelling device, but I remember:

--Sunken island in Sideways world (that was only for the viewers, not the inhabitants of Sideways land)
--Juliet's "it worked" (we thought it must have meant detonating Jughead and creating a Sideways world)
--Daniel Faraday suggesting that a nuclear bomb created the Sideways world

I'm sure there are other instances.

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Misdirection
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:25 PM »
Do we know that Jughead DIDN'T create the sideways world?  They never really explained how it was created, but maybe that was the catalyst for "them creating" the sideways world.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:11:01 AM »
Uh, I can live with what Juliet and Faraday said because the characters actually believed it.  And in a way, they were right.  But the island underwater was pretty pointless.  I think they should've done something with that in the finale.  My suggestion would've been to have the island rise back up at the end.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
Was the sunken island a vision of the island that the Losties created in their sideways world?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
Was the sunken island a vision of the island that the Losties created in their sideways world?

Maybe it was Locke. Hang with me here. Locke was being place held by MiB and some of his conciousness seeped (Don't tell me what I can't do). What if conciousness seeped back after death. What if that is MiB's input. All he wants is the Island under water and destroyed. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »

Maybe it was Locke. Hang with me here. Locke was being place held by MiB and some of his conciousness seeped (Don't tell me what I can't do). What if conciousness seeped back after death. What if that is MiB's input. All he wants is the Island under water and destroyed. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

I see what you're saying but Locke loved the island so much I think his thoughts would be stronger in that regard--maybe. More likely it was Sawyer--he hated that island lol!

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
Yeah That's true. That makes alot of sense.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »
I like the idea of the island rising again.  I think what they could have done was instead of having the characters move on from the sideways world into heaven(?), somehow they could have made the sideways version of the island their own heaven, because perhaps that is where they were happiest in their lives.  This is not to say that the island was heaven in the main timeline.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
I like the idea of the island rising again.  I think what they could have done was instead of having the characters move on from the sideways world into heaven(?), somehow they could have made the sideways version of the island their own heaven, because perhaps that is where they were happiest in their lives.  This is not to say that the island was heaven in the main timeline.
Yeah, that's exactly what I've been saying too.  They could even leave that final scene how it is, and have them step into the light and be back on the island following a scene of it rising again.  Work that in and edit in Sawyer shooting MIB, and I think I'd be satisfied with the finale.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
In the finale when they kept saying they were leaving I was wondering if they were going to the island and it would be like a heaven. I was getting so confused with them saying they were leaving! At one point I was thinking to go where...Jimmy Kimmel lol?