Author Topic: The Kimmel Theory...  (Read 3192 times)

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The Kimmel Theory...
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
First off - I really liked the finale. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Now, if anyone watched Jimmy Kimmel special, you may have caught his theory on 'what happened', and I'm kinda digging it.

Background - The show certainly scattered a fair amount of 'Ancient Egyptian' flavor around - first in the countdown clock, then in the Island buildings, etc. Let's take a look at the Egyptian idea of an afterlife - in a nutshell, the soul is weighed against the 'Feather of Truth', and if it is heavier, the soul is eaten by Ammut - composed of the deadly crocodile, lion, and hippopotamus. If the soul is lighter, it passes into the afterlife. One could get more complex with Jack's Ka, his Ba, etc.

Theory - During the turbulence on the Oceanic flight, Jack, overcome by fear, grips his seat tightly and shuts his eyes. When the turbulence passes, Rose comments to him: "Let go... just let go". Kimmel's theory is that Jack died during the turbulence (a suitcase can be seen falling behind him in the scene), and the Island and all that is Jack's 'test' or 'judgement' if you will. Having passed the test, Jack's Ka dies, his Ba (or more precisely his soul) is allowed to pass into the afterlife.

The one nice thing about this theory (and yes, this could also be a cheap cop-out) is that the Island doesn't need to make perfect sense. The food drop happened because Jack needed food, etc.

I kinda like the theory. At least it wraps things up  ;D

Offline bluesmanjay

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Kimmel Theory...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
Yeah, when I watch the Kimmel special I saw him lay out this theory. I thought it sounded kind of cool.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
I saw it but not sure if I agree. I think the story was about all the character's journey and not just Jack's so that theory doesn't fit for me.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Yeah, I like the theory too, but the Island stuff all happened to all those people. It wasn;t JUST Jack's test. It was similarly the test for all our favorite Losties. Having it be just Jack's test negates the whole Hurley and Ben #1 and #2 comment. Kimmel wasn't insinuating that Jack was alive just before the turbulence, and died during it, and the plane just kept on flying. He was saying that that was where all the Losties began their afterlife subconcious.

Flying along.
Turbulence.
Crash.
Island Stuff.
People die.
Conciousness begins as the turbulence clears and they never crash.
Flash Sideways stuff.

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
This is why I'm quite happy with the finale - it leaves it open for people to 'fill in the gaps'. I'm sticking with my theory for now, but I really dig that I'm thinking about it a couple of days AFTER the show ended.

I've discussed this with a few people and most of them echo'ed what's been said above. I'm not sure what you meant about the the #1 & #2 comment.. not sure how that negates it? I think they probably served as #1 & #2 for many, many years after Jack died. I like thinking about it like that...

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
Yeah, I like the theory too, but the Island stuff all happened to all those people. It wasn;t JUST Jack's test. It was similarly the test for all our favorite Losties. Having it be just Jack's test negates the whole Hurley and Ben #1 and #2 comment. Kimmel wasn't insinuating that Jack was alive just before the turbulence, and died during it, and the plane just kept on flying. He was saying that that was where all the Losties began their afterlife subconcious.

Flying along.
Turbulence.
Crash.
Island Stuff.
People die.
Conciousness begins as the turbulence clears and they never crash.
Flash Sideways stuff.

Oh I get it now! Yes, I like it too! As long as the theory realizes that the story is about ALL the Losties then I am oK with it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:00:30 PM by lostlady »

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
The theory is a cop-out.  Certainly Lost was Jack's story of redemption and finding self, but it was far more than only that.  The Kimmel trivializes the scope - which is on par for Kimmel.

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »
The theory is a cop-out.  Certainly Lost was Jack's story of redemption and finding self, but it was far more than only that.  The Kimmel trivializes the scope - which is on par for Kimmel.

Sobrien - yes, in some ways it is a cop out. But any 'theory of everything Lost' is going to be a cop out. No need for the nasty sentiment. I happen to like the theory - and more specifically my personal take on it.

I like thinking Lost was about Jack - others were involved, but in the end it was about Jack's transformation. That's my take-away. I also like to think there are many untold stories - specifically Hurley and Ben.

I do hold that the ALT timeline space is 'timeless' - everyone showed up, implying they had died, but not within normal space-time. Jack was there for a nano-second or 10,000 years. Who knows?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »

Sobrien - yes, in some ways it is a cop out. But any 'theory of everything Lost' is going to be a cop out. No need for the nasty sentiment. I happen to like the theory - and more specifically my personal take on it.

I like thinking Lost was about Jack - others were involved, but in the end it was about Jack's transformation. That's my take-away. I also like to think there are many untold stories - specifically Hurley and Ben.

I do hold that the ALT timeline space is 'timeless' - everyone showed up, implying they had died, but not within normal space-time. Jack was there for a nano-second or 10,000 years. Who knows?

I have to disagree that this show was all about Jack. The flashback/flashforwards showed in every season all the main character's backstories and their flaws and throughout the past 6 years we have seen their stories from start to finish and how each one of them has grown. Jack was just one of them. It was in his character to be the one who ultimatley becomes the candidate.

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »

I have to disagree that this show was all about Jack. The flashback/flashforwards showed in every season all the main character's backstories and their flaws and throughout the past 6 years we have seen their stories from start to finish and how each one of them has grown. Jack was just one of them. It was in his character to be the one who ultimatley becomes the candidate.

I think that's perfectly valid. I'm choosing to look at the show from a Jack perspective - that it was his transformation. One certainly can choose to view it as a group transformation.

One detail I particularly like is the changing view of Christian through the show - he starts as a domineering presence in Jack's life, but in the end he is the one 'explaining' things to Jack, in a rather fatherly way. Along with Jack's transformation, the view of Christian is transformed as well. Very nice touch.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
We can definitely agree on how the show showed us different sides of Christian! it was nice to see how our perspective changed of him!

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
I think Rose told Jack that it was ok to "let go" now because all the Losties were in the spirit world (sideways) finally and so it was time to start "recognizing" each other and move on.

My personal belief is that you will recognize your loved ones in their true forms outside of this earth-life form, not necessarily by the physical form they had on earth. So it made sense to me when the Losties started to "recognize" each other when the time came. Obviously the characters had to look the same for us, the audience, to be able to recognize who was who, but it made sense to me that they didn't really remember each other until the time was right and they came in touch with their true forms.