Author Topic: Another question - what was with the mirrors in the Alt.?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Another question - what was with the mirrors in the Alt.?
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »
I figured somehow last nights ep. would explain why so many shots of people looking at themselves and one another through mirrors in the Alt. timeline.  But as far as I can tell, it really didn't?  Or did I somehow miss this?

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Another question - what was with the mirrors in the Alt.?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
Mirrors are often times symbolic of eternity. For me it reinforced the message of the characters' "souls" (eternal element) going on and on and on.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
Yeah, mirrors are used alot as symbols for a character seeing the truth, or their true selves.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
It was subtle in every episode and only die hard fans I think picked up on it. So to explain it somehow last night would have been very confusing.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
Actually, thinking about it a little more, I'd like to suggest something along the lines of the following:

Whenever someone saw themselves in the mirror, they tended to do a slight doubletake, as if they knew something wasn't right.  But that failed to re-awaken them.  Why?  I think it goes back to the theme of finding redemption individually, but needing other people to help you do it.  That's why they had to interact with those that they loved, or in Locke's case had to be fixed by Jack. 

Oh well, that makes my record for Lost theories about 0 for 400 while the show was still on the air, and now 0 for 1 after it finished :)  But worth a shot anyway...

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »
Actually, thinking about it a little more, I'd like to suggest something along the lines of the following:

Whenever someone saw themselves in the mirror, they tended to do a slight doubletake, as if they knew something wasn't right.  But that failed to re-awaken them.  Why?  I think it goes back to the theme of finding redemption individually, but needing other people to help you do it.  That's why they had to interact with those that they loved, or in Locke's case had to be fixed by Jack. 

Oh well, that makes my record for Lost theories about 0 for 400 while the show was still on the air, and now 0 for 1 after it finished :)  But worth a shot anyway...

That fits very well with the themes of Lost (redemption, live together die alone, etc) I think you are right!

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:13:49 AM »
or maybe the writers put them all in there just to screw with us? or maybe because they thought it would be cool? "hey lets have them all look into a mirror!" i mean, it could be we are trying a bit too hard here to get by what was explained to us