Author Topic: Vincent's purpose  (Read 2320 times)

Offline relient k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Vincent's purpose
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
Jack always said "Live together, die alone." He would've died alone if Vincent hadn't come along.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:28:03 PM by R3lient »

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Vincent's purpose
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
I don't know if he had a true purpose or not...but I love that they did that for Jack at the end. It was very touching.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
So Jack wouldn't die alone.

Awwwww.  That's sweet.  I like it.  If you've gotta die, it's nice to have a dog with you, anyway.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
I don't get all the hoopla over Vincent.  He was a dog.  Useful as a companion to Walt, to helping Shanon through a scary situation or two, for finding a dead body or two and for keeping Rose and Bernard company while they were keeping out of all the Island Action.  Some people wanted him to be more important than that, thought he must be but I never understood why he must be or even why he would be. 

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
I cried a bit during the lostie "recognitions" but when Vincent came out of the jungle to be with Jack so he wouldn't have to die alone I really started crying! First off, it just brought the story line full circle, and secondly, I had to put my yellow lab down a few years ago and I was able to hold him when the vet put him to sleep. I haven't had another dog since and I miss him terribly. I think pets provide so much more unconditional love and acceptance than most people. I thought it was such a powerful ending :)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
I don't get all the hoopla over Vincent.  He was a dog.  Useful as a companion to Walt, to helping Shanon through a scary situation or two, for finding a dead body or two and for keeping Rose and Bernard company while they were keeping out of all the Island Action.  Some people wanted him to be more important than that, thought he must be but I never understood why he must be or even why he would be. 

I don't think too many people really expected or wanted Vincent to be anything other than a dog lol...they DID have issues with Vincent just "disappearing" and wonder what happened to him, and some joked that Vincent was really Smokie/Jacob/Christian/Take your pick lol. But all in all, most just liked Vincent because they like dogs.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
Vincent being with Jack at the end was priceless. He didn't die alone!

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
Also, since Vincent ran up to Jack in the opening scene of episode 1 of season 1, it made sense to have Vincent run up to him again here at the end. Only in the original scene, Vincent kept running past Jack as where this time, he stopped for Jack and kept him company as he died.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
Also, since Vincent ran up to Jack in the opening scene of episode 1 of season 1, it made sense to have Vincent run up to him again here at the end. Only in the original scene, Vincent kept running past Jack as where this time, he stopped for Jack and kept him company as he died.

that got me all teary eyed again!

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:48:03 AM »

that got me all teary eyed again!

AHH, this clinched my going to sleep with puffy eyes and a runny nose.  It was SO perfectly symbolic:  1) Vincent ran by Jack when he first woke up in the reeds, and so he is there when he dies too, 2) Jack doesn't die alone, and 3) Vincent actually did what any normal dog would do for its master if he perceived that his master was sick or injured -- lie down beside him.  This was incredibly tear-worthy on ALL fronts.  AMAZING scene.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:04:03 AM »
Why wasn't Vincent at the church in the Alt?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »
I don't know! Maybe he had to go to dog heaven?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
We were at gspn.tv's Lost party, and on their initial reaction podcast they said, "I guess all dogs DON'T go to heaven..."  :'( But maybe he went with Walt instead.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:58 AM »
I like the idea that he waited for Walt...either that or he is still in the sideways timeline and doesn't get that he is dead yet!