Author Topic: Jack didn't bless Hurley's water?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Jack didn't bless Hurley's water?
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
After Mother did it when she bequeathed Jacob, and Jacob did the same when he bequeathed Jack, now it seems all they had to do was dip some water out of a puddle and hand it to their replacement who then had to drink it.  No prayer needed?

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Jack didn't bless Hurley's water?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »
Maybe it doesn't have to be said out loud.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
I was wondering that myself, it would have been so easy to have him move his lips a little.  But he did look like he was 'praying' in a way in the beginning shot standing in the water, so I'm gonna just say that he did a blanket blessing of the water then, knowing what was to come!  A little mumbling at the right time would have been so much easier, though!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
I noticed that too!   :D  See, I said back in "What They Died For" that Jack should've jotted down all that Latin mumbo-jumbo that Jacob was muttering!   ;D

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »
That bugged me a bit too.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
I'm going with "Jack's the Candidate, they're his rules now."  And Jack, being a rather non-spiritual person, chose not to bless the water.  Quick and dirty, get the job done, enough with the mumbo-jumbo for Jack.  Or something.  LOL

Kind of like Hurley or Ben said that Jacob did things a certain way, but now that Jack was in charge, he could do them his way?

Or was Jack the one who said that?  Sorry, my brain is so fried!

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
why bless the water when you don't have any powers? Flocke and Jack lost their "powers" when the "plug" was pulled by Desmond making them mortal and able to kill each other. So, why bless the water when you don't have powers. Just sayin'
This really didn't bother me.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
I noticed, but I figured it was something that wasn't necessary.  At first everyone thought you HAD to drink the magic wine, and then we learned you could drink anything.

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
Actually I was thinking that Jacob didn't actually do anything to the water. Nor did Jack. Their becoming Jacob was more stepping up to the position than some magical annointing.

Offline Kane

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
Their is something to it as the protector becomes, effectively, immortal. But once Jack took over, the rules were his to define. So, no incantation.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:33 PM »
Actually I was thinking that Jacob didn't actually do anything to the water. Nor did Jack. Their becoming Jacob was more stepping up to the position than some magical annointing.

Kinda like the scroll in 'Kung Fu Panda'. I actually like that idea.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »
Jack DID do something similar to what Jacob did, though, at the beginning of the episode. In "What They Died For", before filling the cup with water for jack to drink, it showed Jacob squatting down near the stream and him placing his own hands into the water, cupped a little water in it, then let it fall from his hands and rubbed his hands together just a little, almost as if he were washing them. At the beginning of "The End", it shows Jack squatting down near the stream and bringing his wet hands back up as he just looks at them. I remember thinking it reminded me of what Jacob did before he gave the cup to Jack. So, maybe possibly Jack knew all along that he would eventually end up making Hurley the new island protector and was shown doing the same things Jacob did before the point of transition.

Afterall, when Jack was telling everyone to get to the plane to leave the island and Hurley said he was going to stay with Jack, Jack just smiled and let out a quick laugh. He didn't try to convince Hurley to get on the plane like he normally would have done, and like he did with Kate...so maybe he didn't argue with Hurley because he knew Hurley staying was necessary??

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
Jack DID do something similar to what Jacob did, though, at the beginning of the episode. In "What They Died For", before filling the cup with water for jack to drink, it showed Jacob squatting down near the stream and him placing his own hands into the water, cupped a little water in it, then let it fall from his hands and rubbed his hands together just a little, almost as if he were washing them. At the beginning of "The End", it shows Jack squatting down near the stream and bringing his wet hands back up as he just looks at them. I remember thinking it reminded me of what Jacob did before he gave the cup to Jack. So, maybe possibly Jack knew all along that he would eventually end up making Hurley the new island protector and was shown doing the same things Jacob did before the point of transition.

Afterall, when Jack was telling everyone to get to the plane to leave the island and Hurley said he was going to stay with Jack, Jack just smiled and let out a quick laugh. He didn't try to convince Hurley to get on the plane like he normally would have done, and like he did with Kate...so maybe he didn't argue with Hurley because he knew Hurley staying was necessary??

that what I was thinking. it makes sense!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
why bless the water when you don't have any powers? Flocke and Jack lost their "powers" when the "plug" was pulled by Desmond making them mortal and able to kill each other. So, why bless the water when you don't have powers. Just sayin'
This really didn't bother me.

I forgot all about that.  And now that you mention it, Hurley didn't get that 'epiphany' face either.  In fact, he kind of just looked around and said something like, "Is that it?" 

Offline jacobsdaughter

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »
it bugged me that Jack didn't "bless" it...I said, "Say the magic words!!"