Author Topic: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)  (Read 10952 times)

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »
Is there a TV show that has ended like that?
Not that I am aware of... but my point is that the ending was related purely to the character roles and not at all to the island or any of the mysteries that kept us all tuning in every week.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters too, but it was the mystery of the island and it's weird and wacky powers that really kept me interested.

But the makers smartly learned us that there are no right answers, just interpretations and different points of view. They kept us both happy and disagreeing for ever and respected the beliefs of both without disappointing one to the point that he would hate the show that he watched for years, because it would tell that what you believe in is wrong.
They didn't keep me happy :).  I'd rather know I was wrong that have no answer at all.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »
Is there a TV show that has ended like that?
Not that I am aware of... but my point is that the ending was related purely to the character roles and not at all to the island or any of the mysteries that kept us all tuning in every week.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters too, but it was the mystery of the island and it's weird and wacky powers that really kept me interested.

But the makers smartly learned us that there are no right answers, just interpretations and different points of view. They kept us both happy and disagreeing for ever and respected the beliefs of both without disappointing one to the point that he would hate the show that he watched for years, because it would tell that what you believe in is wrong.
They didn't keep me happy :).  I'd rather know I was wrong that have no answer at all.

First, that 2nd quote wasn't mine. I don't want to take credit for somebody else's work. I think that might be opie's.

As for the ending, there were kind of 2 endings, the church, and the eye closing. I totally agree that the mystery of the Island and it's "weird and wacky" powers is alot of what kept me entralled in the show. However, I'm not really sure a detailed explanation of the reason behind those powers would have made things better. If they said the core of the Island was made up of a rare material like Avatar's unobtanium, or if it was (God forbid) a spaceship, it would really have taken alot of the luster away. Leaving some ambiguity in there by not defining the details keeps a little bit of that magic. For me, actually going into and seeing the heart of the Island and the Cork was cool enough.

Offline The_Vukster

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
I think there are no answers. They invented a lot of mysteries and questions, but never had the answers. If you will ask them
who build the statue, they just don't know. They have to invent it, like us. But if they do, they will start a war. I-am-Jacob and I were waiting for the answers to kill each other by telling the other how wrong he was.  ;) But the makers smartly learned us that there are no right answers, just interpretations and different points of view. They kept us both happy and disagreeing for ever and respected the beliefs of both without disappointing one to the point that he would hate the show that he watched for years, because it would tell that
what you believe in is wrong.
They just made us answer the questions and mysteries for 6 years and every question allready has hundreds of answers. They are on lostpedia, here, on all the forums, in English, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Spanish and all the other languages. You can just pick the answers that make you happy. Every answer is right, because it never happened.
While I will agree that for some questions, there never ended up being any answers, like who created the statue, there were plenty of questions that were created that had right and wrong answers (e.g. Did Jin die on the boat?, What is the monster in the trees?, How did the Black Rock get in the middle of the island?, etc.)  And a big part of the enjoyment of I got from the show was trying to theorize about what was happening (or had happened, or would happen) and then seeing if I was right.  Every Wednesday my co-workers and I would gather together to compare notes, present theories, and revel when theories we previously stated turned out to be right.  Again, leaving so many things unanswered leaves us all left with a feeling of being cheated.  

I mean come on really??  You say Hurley and Ben were in charge of the island for some extended period and that is it???  Why the hell even write that in to the script if you don't elaborate??  It had NOTHING to do with anything and didn't affect the outcome whatsoever.  So why bother...other then to leave us one more thing to feel cheated about.

And don't give me this carp about using my imagination and making up my own answers!  If I wanted to do that I'd write my own damn story.

Basically the writers took 6 years of tremendous writing, weaving, and storytelling and ruined it by providing a two-bit ending that any college drop-out could have come up with.  YES the basic premise of the ending was somewhat unique, I will give them that.  But to get to that point so quickly, in one episode, skipping over many details, and leaving so many loose ends open was quite a letdown.  Frankly I feel embarrassed for the writers who after 6 years of great writing couldn't come up with a better ending, somehow bringing everything together

In a way, the WHOLE show didn't really matter. Hardly any of it had any bearing on the final conclusion.  They were all going to die, some during the show, others in some unknown time, and meet up in the end in the after life and live happily ever after.  

In a way, it was like watching a very closely contested sporting event until 10 min left.   Then all of a sudden jumping to the final score which was quite different than when you left.  You feel like you missed out on something.

I didn't mind the ending itself.  I just minded the fact that they rushed to it, glossing over waaaaayyyy too much stuff.  Yeah...there were 30 points scored in the last 10 minutes, but we're going to let you use your IMAGINATION to figure out who scored what and how.  In fact, we won't even give you the final score...and we won't tell you which team won.  Let's just say those that didn't get hurt during the game all lived happily ever after.  Do you feel all warm and fuzzy now?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »

I mean come on really??  You say Hurley and Ben were in charge of the island for some extended period and that is it???  Why the hell even write that in to the script if you don't elaborate??  It had NOTHING to do with anything and didn't affect the outcome whatsoever.  So why bother...other then to leave us one more thing to feel cheated about.

And don't give me this carp about using my imagination and making up my own answers!  If I wanted to do that I'd write my own damn story.

Basically the writers took 6 years of tremendous writing, weaving, and storytelling and ruined it by providing a two-bit ending that any college drop-out could have come up with.  YES the basic premise of the ending was somewhat unique, I will give them that.  But to get to that point so quickly, in one episode, skipping over many details, and leaving so many loose ends open was quite a letdown.  Frankly I feel embarrassed for the writers who after 6 years of great writing couldn't come up with a better ending, somehow bringing everything together

In a way, the WHOLE show didn't really matter. Hardly any of it had any bearing on the final conclusion.  They were all going to die, some during the show, others in some unknown time, and meet up in the end in the after life and live happily ever after.  

In a way, it was like watching a very closely contested sporting event until 10 min left.   Then all of a sudden jumping to the final score which was quite different than when you left.  You feel like you missed out on something.

I didn't mind the ending itself.  I just minded the fact that they rushed to it, glossing over waaaaayyyy too much stuff.  Yeah...there were 30 points scored in the last 10 minutes, but we're going to let you use your IMAGINATION to figure out who scored what and how.  In fact, we won't even give you the final score...and we won't tell you which team won.  Let's just say those that didn't get hurt during the game all lived happily ever after.  Do you feel all warm and fuzzy now?

1. Hurley and Ben: The Island survived, meaning the protector of the Island, Jacob and then Jack, succeeded. If the Island survives, and Jack dies, someone needs to take it over. Ben summed it up beautifully when he said "Do what you do best, Hugo. Help people." Now, perhaps you would have been happier having the Island sink, but that would have meant that Jack failed and would have, as MIB put it, "died for nothing". For me, knowing that Hurley and Ben live on, running the Island in a totally different way for possibly hundreds of years if not more is a very very cool happy ending. It also sparks my imagination for all the possibilities of how Hurley would run things differently than Jacob.

2. Saying any 2-bit college student could have written that finale is so ludicrous, I'm not even going to respond other than pointing out what a ridiculous comment that is.

3. The WHOLE show doesn't matter because it ended...you could use that arguement for every single piece of literature, play, tv show, and movie ever made. The whole line of Christian saying "We all die, kiddo." is true. The point of that was in all their lives, the time they spent together on the island was the most important in their lives. I'm sure we all will have moments in our lives that are the most important, either with friends and family, or careers. If you really want to think about it, it kind of points to the meaning of their lives...which is a pretty big philosophical issue.

4. Who won? I don't want to sound like a total jerk, but you did watch the finale right? The great conflict between Jacob and MIB that lasted thousands of years...Jacob won. That scene on the cliff, then Jack going back and saving the Island...I thought that was pretty clear.

5. Do I feel all warm and fuzzy? Yeah, I wanted a happy ending, and not some greek tragedy where everyone dies int he worst way imaginable at the end. So, when Jack's eyeball closed, I felt very warm and fuzzy, even more so when I watched it the second time around, and I'll feel it every time I watch it from here on out.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »

1. Hurley and Ben: The Island survived, meaning the protector of the Island, Jacob and then Jack, succeeded. If the Island survives, and Jack dies, someone needs to take it over. Ben summed it up beautifully when he said "Do what you do best, Hugo. Help people." Now, perhaps you would have been happier having the Island sink, but that would have meant that Jack failed and would have, as MIB put it, "died for nothing". For me, knowing that Hurley and Ben live on, running the Island in a totally different way for possibly hundreds of years if not more is a very very cool happy ending. It also sparks my imagination for all the possibilities of how Hurley would run things differently than Jacob.

2. Saying any 2-bit college student could have written that finale is so ludicrous, I'm not even going to respond other than pointing out what a ridiculous comment that is.

3. The WHOLE show doesn't matter because it ended...you could use that arguement for every single piece of literature, play, tv show, and movie ever made. The whole line of Christian saying "We all die, kiddo." is true. The point of that was in all their lives, the time they spent together on the island was the most important in their lives. I'm sure we all will have moments in our lives that are the most important, either with friends and family, or careers. If you really want to think about it, it kind of points to the meaning of their lives...which is a pretty big philosophical issue.

4. Who won? I don't want to sound like a total jerk, but you did watch the finale right? The great conflict between Jacob and MIB that lasted thousands of years...Jacob won. That scene on the cliff, then Jack going back and saving the Island...I thought that was pretty clear.

5. Do I feel all warm and fuzzy? Yeah, I wanted a happy ending, and not some greek tragedy where everyone dies int he worst way imaginable at the end. So, when Jack's eyeball closed, I felt very warm and fuzzy, even more so when I watched it the second time around, and I'll feel it every time I watch it from here on out.
THIS!

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
I understand you don't like it. I cannot change that.
I don't know exactly what you missed. I think we saw everything of the losties.
Their birth, youth, their fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, loveaffairs, killings, escapes, grandfathers, aunts, problems,
houses, all their days on the island and off-island.
You wanted to see how Hurley had a happy life on the island, flew over his mother and father and stayed there
with Ben in dharmatown till he died and than who followed Hurley, how he selected him and how he died etc etc?

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »
OK, I'm not going to fan the flames any more and continue arguing what is essentially opinion. 

I must say though, I am really surprised and happy that so many people were satisfied with the ending.  If I'm in the minority then I guess the writers were successful!

Cheers!

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
I was totally ok with everything about the ending until Jack opened the coffin. I get the whole thing with his dad, but srsly?

Quite honestly, I think the explanation for sideways was lame considering all we've been told and given by the writers for the past 6 years. It really came out of left field, IMHO - that all the Losties, unknown to each other, created their own alternate universe to meet again. What? ??? We had no hints of such a thing. They broke all the rules they had established over previous seasons. Sadly only one thing -- the way Juliette died/she discovered Sawyer (with the whole go dutch for coffee thing) was really satisfying, like it was planned out that way all along - the way they promised us they had.

I think that was Darlton's mistake - making promises.
At one time, people weren't getting the gist of Lost and ABC was yanking it all over the schedule and people were losing interest: "What the hell is this and where is it going??" So Darlton came up with "oh, we know how it will end, we've known all along, hang in there" to save the show. BUT when they did that, they raised the level of expectation for the ending, even years before it did end. If they had been more cautious and said, "we have an idea how it will end, but are hashing some things out" that probably would have been better and fans might not have expected so much. I really think Darlton knew as much as Matthew Fox said he knew on Kimmel - that it would end with Jack's eye closing. And that's all they knew.  If they really had known, they would have sprinkled more throughout the whole run of the show, not just this last season -- more death's like Juliette's where it really truly came full circle in the end. If they had done that, I think more people would have liked the ending.

I also kind of feel that they had one last "f*ck you" to the fans with the way they purposely introduced things and didn't explain them - like what happened to the people on the plane, how did their lives end and the people left on the island. I DO want to know what happened to my favorite characters, Sawyer and Hurley. Did Claire make it home to be a mom to Aaron? I think they could have addressed this in one of those musical montages where they just show the characters in their lives without the dialogue. THAT would be satisfying.

Overall, I did like it. But you really shouldn't have to think as hard as you have to to wrap your head around the 'alternate universe' and all the new questions it poses, like, Jack never had a son, right?  ???   

;)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
While I will agree that for some questions, there never ended up being any answers, like who created the statue, there were plenty of questions that were created that had right and wrong answers (e.g. Did Jin die on the boat?, What is the monster in the trees?, How did the Black Rock get in the middle of the island?, etc.)  And a big part of the enjoyment of I got from the show was trying to theorize about what was happening (or had happened, or would happen) and then seeing if I was right.  Every Wednesday my co-workers and I would gather together to compare notes, present theories, and revel when theories we previously stated turned out to be right.  Again, leaving so many things unanswered leaves us all left with a feeling of being cheated.  

Sweet mother of God. If I have to point out one more time who built the statue I am going to lose it. Why Is this such a problem for people to understand. And Furthermore, why does everyone think its so important that we know?  The statue was of Taweret. Egyptian Goddess of Fertility. We have a Temple with Egyptian glyphs on it. We know People crashed on the Island periodically.  They were Egyptians that crashed on the island and built the statue.  Also, we know they really don't have anything to do with our story.  If they would have taken time out of OUR story to tell that one, I think most of us would be supremely pissed. Why does everyone feel the need to be so selfish that they can't realize that the questions THEY wanted answers too might not fit within the makings of a well told story. Who out of your co-workers had, "The Egyptian statue was built by Egyptians"? He wins.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
I was totally ok with everything about the ending until Jack opened the coffin. I get the whole thing with his dad, but srsly?

Quite honestly, I think the explanation for sideways was lame considering all we've been told and given by the writers for the past 6 years. It really came out of left field, IMHO - that all the Losties, unknown to each other, created their own alternate universe to meet again. What? ??? We had no hints of such a thing. They broke all the rules they had established over previous seasons. Sadly only one thing -- the way Juliette died/she discovered Sawyer (with the whole go dutch for coffee thing) was really satisfying, like it was planned out that way all along - the way they promised us they had.

I think that was Darlton's mistake - making promises.
At one time, people weren't getting the gist of Lost and ABC was yanking it all over the schedule and people were losing interest: "What the hell is this and where is it going??" So Darlton came up with "oh, we know how it will end, we've known all along, hang in there" to save the show. BUT when they did that, they raised the level of expectation for the ending, even years before it did end. If they had been more cautious and said, "we have an idea how it will end, but are hashing some things out" that probably would have been better and fans might not have expected so much. I really think Darlton knew as much as Matthew Fox said he knew on Kimmel - that it would end with Jack's eye closing. And that's all they knew.  If they really had known, they would have sprinkled more throughout the whole run of the show, not just this last season -- more death's like Juliette's where it really truly came full circle in the end. If they had done that, I think more people would have liked the ending.

I also kind of feel that they had one last "f*ck you" to the fans with the way they purposely introduced things and didn't explain them - like what happened to the people on the plane, how did their lives end and the people left on the island. I DO want to know what happened to my favorite characters, Sawyer and Hurley. Did Claire make it home to be a mom to Aaron? I think they could have addressed this in one of those musical montages where they just show the characters in their lives without the dialogue. THAT would be satisfying.

Overall, I did like it. But you really shouldn't have to think as hard as you have to to wrap your head around the 'alternate universe' and all the new questions it poses, like, Jack never had a son, right?  ???  

;)

They did show us what happened.  They made it safely off the island.  that was the point of the plain flying over Jacks head. 

If every story had a set in stone ending then every story ever created would absolutely suck. 

Ill compare it to a little simpler show called Friends.  This show ended with everyone walking out of the apartment.  The last line is from Joey.  He says   Has this apartment always been purple.  its funny because the show was about friends and laughter.   
Now Im sure if you watched this show.  Then you would be truely pissed that it ended this way becasue we didnt get to see all of our Friends grow old and die and see exactly what happened after they all left the apartment that they were in for 9 years. 

I REALLY DONT GET IT. How anyone can want anymore answers.  Because we got all of the ones that were essential to the storytelling.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
I REALLY DONT GET IT. How anyone can want anymore answers.  Because we got all of the ones that were essential to the storytelling.

Really? You don't get it? I could say the same for you, that how can you NOT want anymore answers?
Some people are just built that way. Some are more curious than others. Some, like you, appreciate the big picture, the overall storytelling arc. Some, like me, enjoy the smaller details of things. We're just different in how we look at things. Some people ask questions and some don't. It's cool.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
I do agree with that Nora.  And I did love all the little things in the story.  My fav season was Season 2 when we were learning all about the Dharma stuff.  I just dont see what answers havent been answered yet.

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
I do agree with that Nora.  And I did love all the little things in the story.  My fav season was Season 2 when we were learning all about the Dharma stuff.  I just dont see what answers havent been answered yet.
I loved season 2 as well... but there were PLENTY of Dharma things that weren't answered.

When someone is asked "What is LOST about?", I don't think the standard response was  "It's a drama about a bunch of people who go through a journey of redemption and salvation".  No, instead, most people would say "It's about a bunch of people who crash on a mysterious island with a monster, hatches, time travel, and all kinds of crazy, interesting, interconnected mysteries." 

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »
I loved season 2 as well... but there were PLENTY of Dharma things that weren't answered.

When someone is asked "What is LOST about?", I don't think the standard response was  "It's a drama about a bunch of people who go through a journey of redemption and salvation".  No, instead, most people would say "It's about a bunch of people who crash on a mysterious island with a monster, hatches, time travel, and all kinds of crazy, interesting, interconnected mysteries." 

Very true, but here's the thing...both those answers are correct. Thats what turned Lost up to 11. It wasn't just another X-Files. It dealt very deeply with alot of different themes like "redemption and salvation" or free will vs. destiny or who are we and why are we here.

Now for some people the answers we were given don't seemed to be detailed enough, for other people, the answers we've been given are detailed enough. For example, you bring up time-travel. Well one of the "unanswered" questions is, how did they travel through time? Well, the answer we were given was, because the donkey wheel got messed up when Ben turned it. For me, thats good enough.

I don't need to know that the flux capacitor needs 1.21 gigawatts of power which is supplied by the unobtanium mineral mine located underneath the Temple which was made by Takhart, the secret 5th son of Ramses the Great and his constort Nefertari who arrived on the Island after the boat he was sailing got separated in a storm from his armada that was off to fight the Hittites over land rights to a river valley that grew excellent berries.

At a certain point, the details become unweildy, and ultimately unfulfilling.

As for Dharma, I love the mystery and sci-fi they brought as well, but the show was never about Dharma. We even got to spend a good portion of season 5 inside Dharma, and watch the contstruction of 2 of the major stations we were previously introduced to. But that still wasn't enough for alot of people.

There's unanswered questions about every story ever written, however, a story should not be judged by the details that remain "unanswered", but rather the themes expressed, the journey taken by the characters, and ultimately, the entertainment value. So, it seems it essentially comes down to individual opinions. For nearly every question I've heard that somebody says is unanswered, I've had an answer that works for me, which is partly why I believe I've been able to enjoy this final season as much as I have.

Offline The_Vukster

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2010, 01:23:40 AM »

3. The WHOLE show doesn't matter because it ended...you could use that argument for every single piece of literature, play, tv show, and movie ever made. The whole line of Christian saying "We all die, kiddo." is true. The point of that was in all their lives, the time they spent together on the island was the most important in their lives. I'm sure we all will have moments in our lives that are the most important, either with friends and family, or careers. If you really want to think about it, it kind of points to the meaning of their lives...which is a pretty big philosophical issue.

1. I wasn't implying I would have liked the island to sink.  I was merely bringing up the point that again, one more thing was created, yet left unexplained.  Why even write that Hugo and Ben take over...THEN SKIP right to the end of that reign.  It just seems really cheesy.  Why not just say they took it over and end there?? 

2.  It is not ridiculous.  My point here was that it takes no talent to create an ending that really has very few ties to most of what the show was about.  The real talent would have been bringing it all together somehow, like they had done with many things throughout the past 6 years.  Not just making an ending that most of the previous 5 years had nothing to do with.

3.  Again you missed my point here.  I was simply stating that the ending was relatively independent of what went on for the previous 5 years.  They wrote an ending that did not wrap up 90% of what we watched.

4 and 5.  That paragraph you quoted was not to be literally applied to the show.  I wasn't asking who won, Jacob or MIB.  And I wasn't asking if you felt warm and fuzzy about the ending of LOST.  I was simply comparing the show to watching a sporting event and not seeing the end.  You feel shortchanged.

It is quite apparent that you and some others simply only care about the beginning and the end.  Anything in between is just filler and you do not really care how many questions are raised and not answered.  Or how many blanks are left unfilled.  But to me, the true art of the story telling in this show was how it created questions and scenarios that seemed completely unrelated, yet season after season we found how it was all pieced together.  Then at the end, all of a sudden the writers decide to simply stop piecing things together and write what seemed to me like an abrupt, rushed ending.

That was the disappointing part.

I do not believe anyone can argue that one of the most compelling things about this show was how many questions it would raise over the seasons, and how would they be answered (i.e. relate to the big picture).  The satisfaction, for me at least, came when I could see those questions answered and how they tied in.  Although the show did this successfully for me for 6 years, sadly the ending fell far short of what the show had previously delivered.