Author Topic: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)  (Read 11326 times)

Offline doubleon19

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
I have to agree with the haters... I felt totally cheated! It seems last night's ending would have been fine actually welcomed if there had been a couple more episodes in between. I have no problem with them meeting again and moving on together but I feel duped. I watched each episode several times checking this website for easter eggs... titles of books, the numbers, I don't have to list I'm sure you all did the same thing.... looking at screencaps etc and for what???? Over and over  Darlton vehemetly denied time travel parallel universes and purgatory.... really guys??? I have to agree with the poster who said it seemed rushed like the finale snuck up on them and they phoned it in. I along with many fans were totally invested thought that the true followers who sifted through all the clues would be rewarded instead we are left with a collective HUH? I think the writers screwed us plain and simple they led us down a path where we thought the end is going to wow us all our questions will be answered and our devotion would be rewarded instead they did not care that the questions they posed were answered or not and just cashed their paycheck. And the poster who said he would rather come up with his own answers that is not what we signed up for. They made the island the main character and then never explained why. There are so many unanswered questions. Why continue to pose them if you as the writer and creator have no intention of bringing them to a conclusion. I totally agree with the poster who mentioned the sixth sense I also was expecting an aha moment that would cause me to watch the seasons over again with new fervor. If the writers strike had that big of an impact then they should've lengthened the season and recovered. And if there is a full length as rumored I will not be spending my $10 to watch it no matter how much it promises to satisfy my questions. To those that liked it if you're truly honest you will admit that they took too long to get there NOT answering questions. I have no problem with that finale AFTER the mysteries were solved.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
I have to agree with the haters... I felt totally cheated! It seems last night's ending would have been fine actually welcomed if there had been a couple more episodes in between. I have no problem with them meeting again and moving on together but I feel duped. I watched each episode several times checking this website for easter eggs... titles of books, the numbers, I don't have to list I'm sure you all did the same thing.... looking at screencaps etc and for what???? Over and over  Darlton vehemetly denied time travel parallel universes and purgatory.... really guys??? I have to agree with the poster who said it seemed rushed like the finale snuck up on them and they phoned it in. I along with many fans were totally invested thought that the true followers who sifted through all the clues would be rewarded instead we are left with a collective HUH? I think the writers screwed us plain and simple they led us down a path where we thought the end is going to wow us all our questions will be answered and our devotion would be rewarded instead they did not care that the questions they posed were answered or not and just cashed their paycheck. And the poster who said he would rather come up with his own answers that is not what we signed up for. They made the island the main character and then never explained why. There are so many unanswered questions. Why continue to pose them if you as the writer and creator have no intention of bringing them to a conclusion. I totally agree with the poster who mentioned the sixth sense I also was expecting an aha moment that would cause me to watch the seasons over again with new fervor. If the writers strike had that big of an impact then they should've lengthened the season and recovered. And if there is a full length as rumored I will not be spending my $10 to watch it no matter how much it promises to satisfy my questions. To those that liked it if you're truly honest you will admit that they took too long to get there NOT answering questions. I have no problem with that finale AFTER the mysteries were solved.

Alright. Like was posted just before you there. What other questions did you want answered? Honestly. I think there is a bit of an issue when you scream for answers and you don't really clarify which answers you want. Alot of those questions WE made ourselves. All the books for example. There isn't really a way to throw in the narrative that all the books that they were reading through the show were really only nods to the writers inspiration. Also the Vehemet denial could probably be explained by the "Crap they guessed it. Well lets just lie so we don't spoil everything" theory. But seriously, not qualms or anything, but there really isn't a single question I can see central to the story left unanswered.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
They made the island the main character and then never explained why.

Nope, the Island was never the main character. It was a character though, which is kinda of cool for an inanimate object. The ending, with the island falling apart around the characters, about to sink into the ocean, then Jack saving the Island, was pretty damn dramatic if you ask me.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »

Nope, the Island was never the main character. It was a character though, which is kinda of cool for an inanimate object. The ending, with the island falling apart around the characters, about to sink into the ocean, then Jack saving the Island, was pretty damn dramatic if you ask me.

He wanted the Island to have lines. He'd be like the character from Neverending Story. They looked like strong hands.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »

He wanted the Island to have lines. He'd be like the character from Neverending Story. They looked like strong hands.

Would that make the Hydra island his little kid in the crappy sequel?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »

Yep. Oceanic would be Falcore

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »

Whoa, then MIB would be the princess and we have to give her a name.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »

Whoa, then MIB would be the princess and we have to give her a name.

HAHAHAH   :D

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »
I understand your frustration.  I felt frustrated too as I started to realize that answers would not be forthcoming.  But then I accepted that and just tried to go along with the ride.  I thought the finale was excellent, given what they tried to do with it.  But a lot of people wanted answers, not what they ended up doing, and I can certainly see how this leaves them feeling unfulfilled. 

I think Darlton's biggest mistake was not being more forthright with the viewers a long time ago.  They waited until at least halfway through season 6 before they started hinting there may be no answers.  Meanwhile, they posed more and more questions, and dangled the promise of answers to get people to watch and, yes, make money for themselves and ABC.  So even though I think from the audience's standpoint it was a mistake, and if Darlton actually gave a damn about the audience, they'd think it was a mistake, in reality I think they're laughing all the way to the bank and think themselves to have done perfectly.

At this point I'd probably say something like "even though they seem like nice guys" - only, to be honest, they don't.  Most of the time in interviews, they come off as snarky, arrogant smart-asses, talking down to people who don't know the grand inside joke that only the two of them are privy to.     

Thanks, MachThree.  I 100% agree with you.  It's nice to have someone who understands the frustration.  (Regarding the writers' "inside jokes" stuff, I was especially irritated at the interview where they said *paraphrasing* "We know who the outrigger shooters were.  We've always known.  We just don't need to tell you because it doesn't matter to the end of the story."  Sheesh.  That felt like a real slap.)  Anyway, I enjoyed the series, I enjoyed the finale, I think both were among the best that TV has ever had to offer.  However, I also sort of agree with this: 

I watched each episode several times checking this website for easter eggs... titles of books, the numbers, I don't have to list I'm sure you all did the same thing.... looking at screencaps etc and for what???? ....There are so many unanswered questions. Why continue to pose them if you as the writer and creator have no intention of bringing them to a conclusion?

The in-depth mysteries, the searching for clues, the scrutinizing of screencaps -- all of this that some (not all, clearly not all) of us did was because we hoped we would eventually know the answers.  To hear "Well, just because you wanted to know it doesn't make it important -- it simply isn't important" kinda stinks.  It was important to me!  So to just denigrate it by saying "Well, it really doesn't matter" or "Well, you could figure it out for yourself if you'd just use your imagination and fill in the blanks a little" or "Sucks to be you" or "You just don't get the big picture" is kinda insulting.  I do get the big picture.  But why is it so wrong to mourn a little that I don't get to find out about the smaller details that I spent so much time wondering about?  I know I could use my imagination and make it up.  But I don't really want to do that at the end -- I did plenty of that already as we went along when I was theorizing!  At this point it would've been nice to know if I was right or not.  However, it was pretty apparent in the last month or so that this just wasn't going to happen, so it's not this big crushing last-minute anguish of "Oh how could they do this to us!"  The writing was on the cave-wall, so to speak, for quite some time.

But hey, I did still love the series.  If they're not going to give me all the answers I'd like to have, I can live with it.  Disappointing, but I can live with it.   I thought the finale was awesome, but I kinda think I wish I hadn't watched the last five minutes.

Oh, and before anyone asks "Well, exactly what questions did you want answered that didn't get answered?  Nyah-nyah you can't think of any!"....  I started a whole thread of them at the bottom of the Season Six stuff long before the finale aired, so they're there.   Still.  ;) 

One last thing about the finale:  I hate it that Kate was the one to finally take out Un-Locke.  Kate?  Really?  Ugh.   :D

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
I'm confused...What other answers are all of you looking for? I keep reading over and over that you didn't get all the answers but to what?

What specifically??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
I don't know how to do links, but just go to the Season Six stuff and look at the threads there.  There's several, I think.  "Questions we want answered" etc. 

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
Here's the thing. You wanted answers to who was in the other outrigger? What if the answer was ancient Native American Indians? How would you like them to work that into our story? They KNEW other groups besides Egyptians, Dharma and Oceanic landed on the island. They knew which one shot at the outrigger, but there is no coherent way they sould possibly get that answer into the narrative of the story once everyone stopped skipping through time. You may take their response as smug, but its true. They knew who was going to be doing the shooting. Probably gave them names like they did with the dude who got sucked into the engine in the Pilot. But there is no way to work that answer into the narrative, so they weren't going to force it.

As for those other questions you wanted answers, I already hit on a bunch of them. You don't have to figure them out for yourself, I did all the work for you.

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »
Here's the thing. You wanted answers to who was in the other outrigger? What if the answer was ancient Native American Indians? How would you like them to work that into our story? They KNEW other groups besides Egyptians, Dharma and Oceanic landed on the island. They knew which one shot at the outrigger, but there is no coherent way they sould possibly get that answer into the narrative of the story once everyone stopped skipping through time. You may take their response as smug, but its true. They knew who was going to be doing the shooting. Probably gave them names like they did with the dude who got sucked into the engine in the Pilot. But there is no way to work that answer into the narrative, so they weren't going to force it.

As for those other questions you wanted answers, I already hit on a bunch of them. You don't have to figure them out for yourself, I did all the work for you.
Kinda love you right now.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Awe, thanks.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Madam P, I get what you are saying, but it's really not that big of a deal for me. I'm not hinging whether or not I think Lost was a good show based on if the explain the Hurley Bird. (something I personally wanted an answer to)

Like Darlton said (some may say arrogantly), not everyone is going to love it, but the show is what it is and they wanted it to be entertaining. The show wasn't written in its entirety from the beginning, which let it grow organically. For example, Michael Emerson would have only been in 3 episodes. There is something to be said for letting a show evolve the way Lost did.