Author Topic: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)  (Read 8830 times)

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »
No, you are not losing your touch you are just distracted with the people who are out of touch and somehow believe that MIB=David!!  :D

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
Lost was a sow that as it went on it created new layers to wrap around the original story of a plane wreck on a deserted island.  Plot-wise it was a maze that was constantly evolving and becoming more complex (weird), but it was done for the purpose of showcasing the characters.  How would our rats run through this new, more complex maze?  Surely, at some point the decision was made that as layers were added (especially the weirder ones) there was no possibility of collapsing back to a point that could be explained.  There are an unreasonable number of questions that have been raised to ever settle then within the confines of the show.  Each "answer" was regressive because it posed more questions.  The problem with the last season and maybe even the last two seasons, is that the weird plot overshadowed the characters.  What weird thing can happen next replaced characterization.

To me, the sideways universe/flashsideways/alt universe/limbo construct was a way to focus on the characters again.  There was no weirdness in the alt universe (except the underlying premise that it didn't exist).  That plot line allowed us to see the characters that we knew act with the core of their true selves.  The reason we cared about these characters in the sideways universe was because we had grown to care about them in the Lost world.

So, I kind of liked the sideways/reward/way-station universe sub plot.  I thought it was OK.  It is NOT a resolution of the questions of the island and in many ways was a diversion - a way to put the telling stories about characters genie back into the bottle and that was OK.

As for the Island main plot, I think that was more of a failure - too many layers of weird that were not developed or resolved (they shot a polar bear in the first episode for heaven's sake...).  My one reservation with that assessment is Hurley and Ben - the odd couple protectors.  

Side rant:  Jacob brought people to the island 1:  to replace him and 2:  for "the game."  It seems to be if he hadn't done #2, he wouldn't need #1.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »
Side rant:  Jacob brought people to the island 1:  to replace him and 2:  for "the game."  It seems to be if he hadn't done #2, he wouldn't need #1.

Not true.  He would always need a replacement, because he'd eventually want to move on himself.  The "game" was, in my opinion, more of a product of Mother's doing than Jacob's.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »

Not true.  He would always need a replacement, because he'd eventually want to move on himself.  The "game" was, in my opinion, more of a product of Mother's doing than Jacob's.
Good point.  I totally agree about "The Game"

I will say that I liked it that the rules that were in place when Jacob was the keeper of the Island were all subject to change--as we found out when Hurley took over.  That was a nice little surprise.

cheers
*Des8

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »

I disagree.  It was clear that MIB/brother wanted to move on, Jacob did not.  Jacob being on the island, fundamentally alone, was all he ever really knew.  Jacob excluded himself from the camp that MIB went to (and let's not get into who were they and how did they get there as an unanswered question that was created for no reason); Jacob did not need a replacement until he created the conditions for MIB to kill him - that created the need for a replacement.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 03:11:26 PM »

(and let's not get into who were they and how did they get there as an unanswered question that was created for no reason

While you are at it, Who is Mother's mother? Why did the Temple have a courtyard? Why did the sky turn purple and not green or yellow when Desmond turned the key?

Some questions are just not important. There's plenty of deeper philosophical questions the show created that were purposefully left unaswered for us to draw out own conclusions. (i.e. the relationship between destiny and free will)

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »

I will say that I liked it that the rules that were in place when Jacob was the keeper of the Island were all subject to change--as we found out when Hurley took over.  That was a nice little surprise.

cheers
*Des8

Why didn't Hurley heal Jack as his first act as the new protector?  Hurley let Jack die?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »

cheers
*Des8

Why didn't Hurley heal Jack as his first act as the new protector?  Hurley let Jack die?

Don't blame Hurley for Jack dying! lol There are probably a bunch of reasons why he didn't and the reality is that it doesn't matter. It was Jack's time.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »

I disagree.  It was clear that MIB/brother wanted to move on, Jacob did not.  Jacob being on the island, fundamentally alone, was all he ever really knew.  Jacob excluded himself from the camp that MIB went to (and let's not get into who were they and how did they get there as an unanswered question that was created for no reason); Jacob did not need a replacement until he created the conditions for MIB to kill him - that created the need for a replacement.

But Mother set the conditions for MIB not being able to kill Jacob.  MIB always wanted to kill Jacob and Jacob knew he'd eventually find a loophole.  Yes, Jacob accidentally turn MIB into Smokey, but it wasn't what he wanted.  He didn't create Smokey on purpose and cause Smokey to want kill to him.  The "game" was not create by Jacob, though he played it really well...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:18:23 PM by My Sideways Self »

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 03:19:53 PM »
Plus, I think Jacob did want to move on... He finished burning his ashes so that he could...

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »
Also, Jacob knew MiB may find a loophole. Probably wanted someone in place before the loophole was found.

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »
Also, Jacob knew MiB may find a loophole. Probably wanted someone in place before the loophole was found.

Jacob, and only Jacob seemed to have the power to provide the loophole.  The rules of the game were never clear and got even more murky after Jacks coronation - then Hurley's rules kicked in?  Did we ever really see what Jacob's powers were?  Was Jacob like Desmond - able to see the future but unable to change it?  Otherwise having a successor "in place before the loophole was found" seems foolish.

Like Heroes showed, writing characters with great power is far more difficult than imagined.  I think Jacob/MIB suffered from this.  When it was convenient for them to be super powered they were, when the plot needed a weakness, BAM there it was.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
Jacob didn't even know all the rules. Hence why he was bringing candidates. He didn't know what the restrictions were.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »
honestly i want to know what you wanted them to answer.   To me it was great.  I got all the answers i needed.   

What questions  were not answered??

Offline doubleon19

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »
I have to agree with the haters... I felt totally cheated! It seems last night's ending would have been fine actually welcomed if there had been a couple more episodes in between. I have no problem with them meeting again and moving on together but I feel duped. I watched each episode several times checking this website for easter eggs... titles of books, the numbers, I don't have to list I'm sure you all did the same thing.... looking at screencaps etc and for what???? Over and over  Darlton vehemetly denied time travel parallel universes and purgatory.... really guys??? I have to agree with the poster who said it seemed rushed like the finale snuck up on them and they phoned it in. I along with many fans were totally invested thought that the true followers who sifted through all the clues would be rewarded instead we are left with a collective HUH? I think the writers screwed us plain and simple they led us down a path where we thought the end is going to wow us all our questions will be answered and our devotion would be rewarded instead they did not care that the questions they posed were answered or not and just cashed their paycheck. And the poster who said he would rather come up with his own answers that is not what we signed up for. They made the island the main character and then never explained why. There are so many unanswered questions. Why continue to pose them if you as the writer and creator have no intention of bringing them to a conclusion. I totally agree with the poster who mentioned the sixth sense I also was expecting an aha moment that would cause me to watch the seasons over again with new fervor. If the writers strike had that big of an impact then they should've lengthened the season and recovered. And if there is a full length as rumored I will not be spending my $10 to watch it no matter how much it promises to satisfy my questions. To those that liked it if you're truly honest you will admit that they took too long to get there NOT answering questions. I have no problem with that finale AFTER the mysteries were solved.