Author Topic: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)  (Read 8322 times)

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
I agree that there was really no way to tie up all the loose ends unless the whole finale was a question and answer with jacob (who didn't seem to know everything anyway) and how boring would that be. The castaways throwing questions at him and he just simply answers them. Ick....Not Lost style. I like coming up with things on my own...nobody can tell me in wrong :)

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
I have to agree with the haters... I felt totally cheated! It seems last night's ending would have been fine actually welcomed if there had been a couple more episodes in between. I have no problem with them meeting again and moving on together but I feel duped. I watched each episode several times checking this website for easter eggs... titles of books, the numbers, I don't have to list I'm sure you all did the same thing.... looking at screencaps etc and for what???? Over and over  Darlton vehemetly denied time travel parallel universes and purgatory.... really guys??? I have to agree with the poster who said it seemed rushed like the finale snuck up on them and they phoned it in. I along with many fans were totally invested thought that the true followers who sifted through all the clues would be rewarded instead we are left with a collective HUH? I think the writers screwed us plain and simple they led us down a path where we thought the end is going to wow us all our questions will be answered and our devotion would be rewarded instead they did not care that the questions they posed were answered or not and just cashed their paycheck. And the poster who said he would rather come up with his own answers that is not what we signed up for. They made the island the main character and then never explained why. There are so many unanswered questions. Why continue to pose them if you as the writer and creator have no intention of bringing them to a conclusion. I totally agree with the poster who mentioned the sixth sense I also was expecting an aha moment that would cause me to watch the seasons over again with new fervor. If the writers strike had that big of an impact then they should've lengthened the season and recovered. And if there is a full length as rumored I will not be spending my $10 to watch it no matter how much it promises to satisfy my questions. To those that liked it if you're truly honest you will admit that they took too long to get there NOT answering questions. I have no problem with that finale AFTER the mysteries were solved.

I don't know if "phoned it in is accurate," but my point is still this was a series that was ever expanding the complexity (and weirdness) of the story.  To think that that level of complexity could ever come back together in a tight little package was folly.  it would have been a stretch to think that even a full season six devoted to ONLY answers would tie up 5 previous seasons, and season six was not answers - it was a new level of weirdness with the flash sideways adding to the complexity and creating another question that needed to be answered (to the writer's credit, this one was answered).  In an odd way the Purgatory sub plot was more successful to me because it was kept under some level of control.

Offline anavrin

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
honestly i want to know what you wanted them to answer.   To me it was great.  I got all the answers i needed.  

What questions  were not answered??

Seriously?  I had about 3 pages of them that I posted on the "unanswered questions" thread.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 10:15:14 PM »
honestly i want to know what you wanted them to answer.   To me it was great.  I got all the answers i needed.  

What questions  were not answered??

Seriously?  I had about 3 pages of them that I posted on the "unanswered questions" thread.

Yes seriously.  Go for it.  Ill answer every single one of them i bet with a real answer or the hey the people shooting from the outrigger boat were most likely the people from Ajira.  Since you know they found the Ajira bottle in the boat.   

Sorry to be a smartass but really if they would have shown that seen from the shooters perspective.  And it was Illana and them from Ajira.  I guarantee you everyone here including yourself would have gone well duh we kind of already knew that.  They didnt need to show us.

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Maybe after we die, we can all meet up in the afterlife and answer all the questions of Lost ;)
LOL!  I love it!

Unfortunately, I did NOT love the finale.  I felt like the whole purgatory/construct could have been done in a more succinct manner.  Why waste half of the final season on it?  So much more could have been done to flesh out the history/purpose of the island and answer some of the many questions and mysteries that were piled on season after season.

I'm confused...What other answers are all of you looking for? I keep reading over and over that you didn't get all the answers but to what?
What specifically??? ??? ??? ???
Here's a few things that I'm thinking about right now... if you'd like to take a crack at em:
1 - I would have liked some kind of explanation of the "rules", and maybe some insight as to ben and widmore's adherence to them.
2 - Jacob has a "thing" for numbers.  Seriously?  That's it?  A thing? 
3 - Why did Eloise Hawking always know what was going on?
4 - Why would the writer's choose to lie to the audience in the "enhanced" repeats?  The example that comes to mind is "This is a flash-sideways.  It shows what happened if the plane never crashed". 

Anyway... maybe I'll like the ending after I digest it some more.  I thoroughly enjoyed the series (especially season 2!), but I was left speechless and extremely unsatisfied by "The End".

Offline The_Vukster

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
But seriously, not qualms or anything, but there really isn't a single question I can see central to the story left unanswered.
  I assume this "story" you speak of is the one you summarized here http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,11122.0.html. (which actually is really a nice summary IMO).

If that is all the story is to you, then yes, I agree that there aren't really too many unanswered questions about that small summarization.

To me though, the story much more than just that.  Anyone can write something as simple as the summary you presented.  The true story, to me, is all the little details that filled in that plot for 6 years.  It is the genius that wove the web and provided all kinds of situations that all tied together.  And all of this "background" stuff going on is what drew everyone in.  Not just the simple Cliff's Notes version you gave. It is also where all these questions arose...many of which were left unanswered.  This is why I, and many others, are very disappointed in the finale.  Very little closure, a bunch of gaps left empty, doors left open, and unresolved storylines.

Sure these questions weren't crucial the the small slice of the story you provided....but they were a BIG part of the story that drew me, and many others in.

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
Maybe after we die, we can all meet up in the afterlife and answer all the questions of Lost ;)
LOL!  I love it!

Unfortunately, I did NOT love the finale.  I felt like the whole purgatory/construct could have been done in a more succinct manner.  Why waste half of the final season on it?  So much more could have been done to flesh out the history/purpose of the island and answer some of the many questions and mysteries that were piled on season after season.

I'm confused...What other answers are all of you looking for? I keep reading over and over that you didn't get all the answers but to what?
What specifically??? ??? ??? ???
Here's a few things that I'm thinking about right now... if you'd like to take a crack at em:
1 - I would have liked some kind of explanation of the "rules", and maybe some insight as to ben and widmore's adherence to them.
I think the rules were made up by whoever was the "keeper" at the time. Jacob's mom made her rules and she passed them to Jacob who kept them but then added the "game" to it. Remember Ben telling Hurley that those were Jacob's rules...I took that to mean that each "keeper" does his own thing.

2 - Jacob has a "thing" for numbers.  Seriously?  That's it?  A thing?  Maybe he was OCD. Maybe he was crazy..he had been on that island for thousands of years...Maybe the numbers are special just to Jacob for reasons we don't know.

3 - Why did Eloise Hawking always know what was going on?
This I don't know for sure. The only thing I can think of is that she got her "Flashes" or remembrance before Des and Charlie got theirs, therefore she knew that they were all actually dead already. But that would only explain season 6

4 - Why would the writer's choose to lie to the audience in the "enhanced" repeats?  The example that comes to mind is "This is a flash-sideways.  It shows what happened if the plane never crashed".  It is what would have happened if the plan hadn't crashed...at least from the dead lostie's POV. It's whatever they WANTED it to be. Kate wanted to be innocent..she claimed to be. Jack was the good father that he never had. Sawyer was on the right side of the law not the wrong. Hurley was lucky. Sure there were some others that didn't have it so good...Charlie...Jin/Sun...Sayid but if everyone had a perfect purgatory that would make for boring tv.

I might be totally wrong...I'm not pretending to have all the answers but my guesses are just as good as any ones

Anyway... maybe I'll like the ending after I digest it some more.  I thoroughly enjoyed the series (especially season 2!), but I was left speechless and extremely unsatisfied by "The End".

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2010, 05:23:29 AM »
agree with louisianna girl.  The Eloise thing is very simple to me.  She is also special like Desmond.  We pretty much discovered this in flashes before your eyes.  When Des ran into her and she was known as the ring lady.

This show was and has always been about the characters.  And the finale did a tremendous job making those characters stories end.   

To me.  Questions were answerd this season that needed to be answered.   All big season one questions were answered pretty much straight forward to us

Who are adam and eve
what is the smoke monster and where did it come from
what are the whispers. 

ALL answered.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2010, 08:00:54 AM »
They made the island the main character and then never explained why.

Nope, the Island was never the main character. It was a character though, which is kinda of cool for an inanimate object. The ending, with the island falling apart around the characters, about to sink into the ocean, then Jack saving the Island, was pretty damn dramatic if you ask me.

He wanted the Island to have lines. He'd be like the character from Neverending Story. They looked like strong hands.

Would that make the Hydra island his little kid in the crappy sequel?

Yep. Oceanic would be Falcore

Whoa, then MIB would be the princess and we have to give her a name.
The joke is on you because the princess's name is completely unintelligible when the kid yells it out a window.  I even turned on closed-captioning to see what he says and it just says (Yelling...)

I had to look it up online and apparently it's "Moon Child."

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
Right... so most of the "answers" are left up to individual interpretation or pure guesswork.  Some people obviously like this, but I do not.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
But seriously, not qualms or anything, but there really isn't a single question I can see central to the story left unanswered.
  I assume this "story" you speak of is the one you summarized here http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,11122.0.html. (which actually is really a nice summary IMO).

If that is all the story is to you, then yes, I agree that there aren't really too many unanswered questions about that small summarization.

To me though, the story much more than just that.  Anyone can write something as simple as the summary you presented.  The true story, to me, is all the little details that filled in that plot for 6 years.  It is the genius that wove the web and provided all kinds of situations that all tied together.  And all of this "background" stuff going on is what drew everyone in.  Not just the simple Cliff's Notes version you gave. It is also where all these questions arose...many of which were left unanswered.  This is why I, and many others, are very disappointed in the finale.  Very little closure, a bunch of gaps left empty, doors left open, and unresolved storylines.

Sure these questions weren't crucial the the small slice of the story you provided....but they were a BIG part of the story that drew me, and many others in.

Thanks for the words about the summary. Yeah that post was in response to people thinking they died in the crash....which is false. But yeah, that was just a basic outline. I know and love all those little things that made LOST so perfect. I feel I have a good grasp on most if not ALL of the little things thrown into the story. Everyone wants to know what all the rules are...one of them is that the protector, in no way, can hold a celebration in response to ANYONE'S birthday. That's kind of a big one because Jacob wanted to celebrate his birthday as a kid, but couldn't because his Mom was unable to hold a celebration for him. Do we really need to know about that rule? No. Probably not.

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »
Everyone wants to know what all the rules are...one of them is that the protector, in no way, can hold a celebration in response to ANYONE'S birthday. That's kind of a big one because Jacob wanted to celebrate his birthday as a kid, but couldn't because his Mom was unable to hold a celebration for him. Do we really need to know about that rule? No. Probably not.

Excellent strawman argument, but I'm on Vukster's side on this one. 

The ending that was presented could have been tacked onto the end of any darama on television.  With all of the awesome episodes that they put out over the years, I was really hoping for a finale that was designed for the hardcore fans, one that was specific to LOST, and one that answered some of the big mysteries that were presented.  If they could have produced more episodes like Ab Aeterno or Across The Sea and spent less time hyping up the "flash sideways", I think there would be a lot more happy LOST fans out there.   Instead, everyone dies, meets up in purgatory for a bit, and then happily moseys on up to heaven.  Yuk.  The more I think about it the less I like it.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
with so many well loved characters dying it was nice to see that they all had connections after death. In a  spiritual show, like Lost was, it is not unreasonable to get this kind of ending. The ending nicely connected many themes on Lost: love, redemption, as well as Jack's--Live Together Die Alone mantra.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
Everyone wants to know what all the rules are...one of them is that the protector, in no way, can hold a celebration in response to ANYONE'S birthday. That's kind of a big one because Jacob wanted to celebrate his birthday as a kid, but couldn't because his Mom was unable to hold a celebration for him. Do we really need to know about that rule? No. Probably not.

Excellent strawman argument, but I'm on Vukster's side on this one. 

The ending that was presented could have been tacked onto the end of any darama on television.  With all of the awesome episodes that they put out over the years, I was really hoping for a finale that was designed for the hardcore fans, one that was specific to LOST, and one that answered some of the big mysteries that were presented.  If they could have produced more episodes like Ab Aeterno or Across The Sea and spent less time hyping up the "flash sideways", I think there would be a lot more happy LOST fans out there.   Instead, everyone dies, meets up in purgatory for a bit, and then happily moseys on up to heaven.  Yuk.  The more I think about it the less I like it.

Is there a TV show that has ended like that? I can't think of one. There may be one, but I think it was pretty original. As for it being too mushy...I mean c'mon. It's the end of a show with huge emotional swings, from the lauching of the raft and Hurley's Shambala drive to the deaths of Libby, Charlie, Jin & Sun, etc. After all that, the ending needed to be hugely emotional, and I for 1 am glad they found a way to give it a happy ending and still have the final shot be Jack's eye closing. I didn't want the greek tragedy ending.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
Right... so most of the "answers" are left up to individual interpretation or pure guesswork.  Some people obviously like this, but I do not.

I think there are no answers. They invented a lot of mysteries and questions, but never had the answers. If you will ask them
who build the statue, they just don't know. They have to invent it, like us. But if they do, they will start a war. I-am-Jacob and I were waiting for the answers to kill each other by telling the other how wrong he was.  ;) But the makers smartly learned us that there are no right answers, just interpretations and different points of view. They kept us both happy and disagreeing for ever and respected the beliefs of both without disappointing one to the point that he would hate the show that he watched for years, because it would tell that
what you believe in is wrong.
They just made us answer the questions and mysteries for 6 years and every question allready has hundreds of answers. They are on lostpedia, here, on all the forums, in English, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Spanish and all the other languages. You can just pick the answers that make you happy. Every answer is right, because it never happened.