Author Topic: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)  (Read 11322 times)

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
It still felt like two completely different stories.

It didn't matter what happened on the island.  Might as well have been the cast of The Office or Seinfeld or Babylon 5 or anything else, any 50 people who have something in common, then tack on 10 minutes at the end where they all meet up after they've died.  Why bother to weave such a compelling story about this mystic island if it's not germane to the conclusion?  If you're not going to tell us anything about it?  It feels as if the Sideways was the story they wanted to tell all along and the island is throwaway, which stinks because the island is what kept a large lot of us watching.

I felt just the opposite.  The Sideways was throwaway.  And was just thrown in there to do something different the last season.  The island story was still the real story and ended ok...

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
Oh no, if it ended with the islandstory I would not have liked it.
I loved the selfcreated world where they got what they wanted
and had time to do things over.
Whatever happened happened, but with a second chance to become happy.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
Happiness and unhappiness in life boils down to one word: Expectations.  When we create them, whether it be for our significant other, kids, friends, our leaders, etc, we are just setting our selves up for disappointment and unhappiness.  Especially, when we create unrealistic expectations for others.  If the expectation is met, (which it rarely fully is) we think, "I expected that.  How boring"  When they go unmet we think, "How could I be let down like that? I'm upset"  If they are exceeded we think, "Awesome! I feel great."   So, what's the secret to happiness.  Don't have any expectations.  That's not saying have low expectations.  It's just saying, appreciate what's been given you.  There were a multitude of expectations set for the ending of Lost.  It would be impossible for the writer's to met them all.  Those that were the happiest, were those that enjoyed the story for what it was.  And when considered in the light of most other shows, Lost's ending was amazing and I feel great!

Its like you stole my post. Thank you for writing it for me.

As for the Thread starter there, I am sorry you feel the way you do about a truly perfect finale. Invoking ideas that a writer may have had 6 years ago about the Island being a central character? Really? They also though Eko was going to play a big part in the finale too. Things happen over the course of writing a show and in many cases it writes itself. I think the Island was a central character in the show. Now if you were expecting it to have lines, you are a bit mistaken, but it certainly was an important character. It healed the sick, performed miracles, and prevented women from carrying children full term. All of which played a central part in our story. The Questions that needed answering were answered. I guess I always go back to the question I have. If you could put YOUR ending on it, what would you have done differently?  That question is usually very hard to answer without taking something away from the show. I say a far less gratifying ending would have been one similar to 6th sense, because it's stale. Its been done before. I can honestly not think of a story similar to the way LOST ended. I didn't want a stale ending. Endings are exclusive to the story they are written for. If you try to throw the same twist 6th sense had, or a similar ending if you will, you aren't affected the same way because you've seen it before.We were treated to a story involving the most important peices of our characters lives. In the end they all had to find each other and accept their deaths before they could move on. It was poignent and poetic. Everyone coming together with their greatest love that they found on the island, and Jack having a realization when he touched his father's coffin.  The man who all series preached about how he was angry with his father, we find out at the end it was only the love between them that could help Jack realize his death and move on. A woman who killed her own son, trying desperately to hold on to him and keep him from the realization. It was poetic.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
I'm glad the characters had resolution. I wanted them to be happy!

But I understand what anavrin is saying as well.  I guess I'm supposed to buy into that the island is a mystery and that it will remain a mystery. And all that happened with Dharma and Hanso and whatnot just didn't matter. Ugh. I hate feeling this way.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
Dharma mattered because without them the conditions would not have been in place for the failsafe key to have the side effect it did. Without that side effect MiB wins because he stays invincible.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
Ah okay. Help me out IAJ. Maybe you can give me some resolution some other questions.

How was it that our Losties all were connected BEFORE the plane crash...before we were introduced to Jacob and MIB. Like how in the first seasons we saw that they were all somehow connected? Was that a Jacob thing?

And was Aaron already dead? And what of Sun and Jin's baby? 

I'm so confused.  :-\

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
Ah okay. Help me out IAJ. Maybe you can give me some resolution some other questions.

How was it that our Losties all were connected BEFORE the plane crash...before we were introduced to Jacob and MIB. Like how in the first seasons we saw that they were all somehow connected? Was that a Jacob thing?

The Losties were connectecd to one another by fate. They were always destined to be on that flight. That's the way I see it. Libby and Hurley spent time together in Santa Rosa, and then again they weer on the plane together. Its similar to that car you always seem to be on the road with on your way into work. Or the regular place you go to lunch on the regular day just HAPPENS to line up with a similar visit.

Aaron and Ji Yeon grew up with other families, and thus those children were not a part of the family unit that was crossing over. Could explain the dire need for Claire to raise him.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
I think the island was important, in that it provided the setting and the environment for the character's journeys.  They grew, matured, and changed due to the circumstances they were thrust into on the island, including all the crazy stuff on the island that they had to deal with. 

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »

The Losties were connectecd to one another by fate. They were always destined to be on that flight. That's the way I see it. Libby and Hurley spent time together in Santa Rosa, and then again they weer on the plane together. Its similar to that car you always seem to be on the road with on your way into work. Or the regular place you go to lunch on the regular day just HAPPENS to line up with a similar visit.

Aaron and Ji Yeon grew up with other families, and thus those children were not a part of the family unit that was crossing over. Could explain the dire need for Claire to raise him.

Agree with you IAJ except that Aaron did grow up with Claire and probably "Aunt Kate". The Ajira flight made it back.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
Keep talking me down off the ledge guys. That's why I'm here!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 02:09:51 PM »
Happiness and unhappiness in life boils down to one word: Expectations.  When we create them, whether it be for our significant other, kids, friends, our leaders, etc, we are just setting our selves up for disappointment and unhappiness.  Especially, when we create unrealistic expectations for others.  If the expectation is met, (which it rarely fully is) we think, "I expected that.  How boring"  When they go unmet we think, "How could I be let down like that? I'm upset"  If they are exceeded we think, "Awesome! I feel great."   So, what's the secret to happiness.  Don't have any expectations.  That's not saying have low expectations.  It's just saying, appreciate what's been given you.  There were a multitude of expectations set for the ending of Lost.  It would be impossible for the writer's to met them all.  Those that were the happiest, were those that enjoyed the story for what it was.  And when considered in the light of most other shows, Lost's ending was amazing and I feel great!

Bingo! Dude, you hit it again.

Being a hardcore Star Wars fan, this was the lesson I learned over the course of watching the prequels. I carried this lesson over to Lost. I wanted to go into each episode as much of a blank slate as possible. Though I had my theories and predictions, I still would just let the show wash over me.

I think alot of people wanted details to not only be given but to be deeply profound. For example, remember the polar bear that was 1 of the major mysteries of season 1? (Did Walt create it, etc.) Well, we find out later, that it was just a polar bear brought there by Dharma, nothing really important or magical. On the other hand, the crazy monster we saw knocking down trees at the beginning was something really important and magical. Thats been the way of the show.

Also, some of the details shouldn't be given. I like using the example of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. The movie was better for NOT showing us what was inside.

In the End, it truely did exceed my expectations. Never before have I enjoyed a show so much, and it's hard to imagine ever watching a show that will come close.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
But the mysteries are what kept us watching for years.  The whole "all these people are linked and meet up in some nether space after they all die" is completely unsatisfying and, frankly, quite trite after 6 years.  Did we really watch for six years to be satisfied with "we all live our life and meet up with important people after we die?"  I didn't.  The story was interesting precisely because of the mysteries of the island and the strange people whom the Losties encountered.  I had no great emotional moment when Jack was talking with his father and realized that he and everyone in that "reality" were dead.  Just joining in the great collective groan.

I understand what you're saying here about the mysteries, but I'm leaving feeling that they answered enough questions for me to put together my own ideas of what else happened.  I'm not disappointed at all.  And you certainly have the right to feel disappointed, you are, after all, the viewing public and part of the target audience, but I think you've exaggerated the 'great collective groan'.  I think your groans are completely lost in the 'great collective sobs' of all the satisfied viewers who felt the emotion the finale was meant to express and the sadness of letting go of what has become a part of our lives for six years.  It's too bad that you feel that it was a wasted journey.  :-\

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »
But the mysteries are what kept us watching for years.  The whole "all these people are linked and meet up in some nether space after they all die" is completely unsatisfying and, frankly, quite trite after 6 years.  Did we really watch for six years to be satisfied with "we all live our life and meet up with important people after we die?"  I didn't.  The story was interesting precisely because of the mysteries of the island and the strange people whom the Losties encountered.  I had no great emotional moment when Jack was talking with his father and realized that he and everyone in that "reality" were dead.  Just joining in the great collective groan.

I understand what you're saying here about the mysteries, but I'm leaving feeling that they answered enough questions for me to put together my own ideas of what else happened.  I'm not disappointed at all.  And you certainly have the right to feel disappointed, you are, after all, the viewing public and part of the target audience, but I think you've exaggerated the 'great collective groan'.  I think your groans are completely lost in the 'great collective sobs' of all the satisfied viewers who felt the emotion the finale was meant to express and the sadness of letting go of what has become a part of our lives for six years.  It's too bad that you feel that it was a wasted journey.  :-\

Agree 100%

Offline louisianagirl76l

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
I wrote this somewhere else but I'll paste it here too:

They didn't dumb it down...they kept the feeling of LOST through to The End. I don't care about the little details....In the grand scheme it doesn't matter. I think the crash scene at the end was nothing more than footage from season one....They all lived on the island...that was all real. Don't read too far into that because it will just ruin things for you.
I'm really trying to take the writers advice and "Let go".... "Move on". If you hated the finale I do feel bad for you because I would guess you feel cheated... but you have to think about what kept you here after all this time. It was about the journey of these characters that we all connected to and not just the Answers.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »

Agree with you IAJ except that Aaron did grow up with Claire and probably "Aunt Kate". The Ajira flight made it back.

Touche. I'm losing my touch. Can't remember where I'm typing things. HAHA