Author Topic: "Purgatory" Anyone?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
"Purgatory" Anyone?
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
Choices between good and evil. Jacob and MIB?
Heaven and Hell? The Island is the in between where souls go to choose their final destination?

good stuff...

...or am I way off here?

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "Purgatory" Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
The Island is the in between where souls go to choose their final destination?

I thought that the island is the island and the ALT timeline was a place they engineered as a place to meet up (purgatory-like place).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:21:43 AM by lostlady »

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »
I think the island is the gateway between heaven and hell. It maintains balance. There are several references to the potential for everyone to be good or evil. The island prevents "hell" from invading the rest of the world. Equally so, it is only through exposure to the island that our heroes can reach their own engineered "heaven".

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »
Isn't it funny that in year one we all guessed they were in Purgatory and the producers said no no, it isn't that.  But hey, thanks for a great idea in the sixth season...

Offline lostjava

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
Isn't it funny that in year one we all guessed they were in Purgatory and the producers said no no, it isn't that.  But hey, thanks for a great idea in the sixth season...

Well, I can see them saying that in season 1. 
"Hey, the figured it out already.  Let's tell 'em it's not true until the end.  That way they'll watch."

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
The island was not purgatory.  Even if Darlton intended it to be when they first created the story.  In the end, the island was real and the ATL was the construct for them to reconnect and move on together.  I think in the end, the lessons of LOST must apply mostly to the viewers: let go and move on.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »
The island was not purgatory.  Even if Darlton intended it to be when they first created the story.  In the end, the island was real and the ATL was the construct for them to reconnect and move on together.  I think in the end, the lessons of LOST must apply mostly to the viewers: let go and move on.

Never said it was, I said the sideways timeline was purgatoryish...

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »

Never said it was, I said the sideways timeline was purgatoryish...

That's how I interpretted it... was not expecting that because I was really hoping they weren't going to go in that direction.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »
The Island is not Purgatory.

The ATL is.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
I just didn't expect they were going to go the purgatory angle.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Very tricky of them indeed!  I'll bet there's a chance that the island was originally going to be purgatory, but when everyone guessed as much after a week or so that they had all really died in the crash, they thought they had better start writing a different story that could last awhile.  Then, six years later, without using the actual word purgatory, we see an alternate life where they are gathering together and preparing themselves to let go and move on.  If the island itself had been purgatory, the story would have been over in no time and the show cancelled at the end of season one if it even made it that far.  Instead they gave us six years of (mostly) excellent TV (cough, Nikki, Paolo, cough, cough) and took us on an epic journey of redemption.  I loved the Dharma mysteries, but what the hell, I've still got Fringe!  Count me as more than satisfied.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:11:11 PM »
It didn't think it was Purgatory.  Something similar, but different.  Not a place to go to absolve your sins, but a place to go to reconcile you life... to know what life would have been like had they successfully detonated that bomb in 1977 and prevent the plane from crashing in 2004...

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
True, that is why there are quotes in "Purgatory", it seemed like the go between of heaven and hell. the "cork" as Jacob said in Ab Aeterno. Christian did describe the Sideverse as their own conjuring, a place to meet up, which some of them (Linus) decided to stay. As we saw from each of our characters they had redemption via the island, each one of them. And seemingly, Jacob WAS RIGHT! Man is good, those candidates all made the "good" choices...