Author Topic: Why was the island underwater in the Alt.?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Why was the island underwater in the Alt.?
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:30:56 AM »
This is the one thing (just finished watching) so far that I can't explain to myself.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why was the island underwater in the Alt.?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:34:38 AM »
I say the Alt was a sort of purgatory and not to think too much about what was there and not there.

Offline soulska

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:38:54 AM »
one of two things im thinking.. one is that it was simply a sideways/alt view of the island, so its non-existent or its a view of the island post hurley/ben reign. it could be that new players came to the island and played all the wrong moves causing the island to eventually sink because of their actions.

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »
The "Flash Sideways timeline" was the eternal meeting place. They'd decided that it was the crash that brought them together so they engineered a reality whereby the island sunk, thereby explaining the flight not crashing, Desmond not being on it etc etc. Retrospectively, I would suggest that the bomb didn't sink it. That just caused The Incident and nothing more.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »
I think because in the end the island was not important.
The island was just an island.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
ok, this is what I was thinking, and DON'T LAUGH AT ME!! lol.

The Alt-Oceanic 815 was separated from the island by water because where they are is separate from earth... like a metaphor for the barrier between this world and the next... ?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
Yeah, the island being underwater is bugging me too.  I can't buy into them engineering a reality where the island sunk when they could've just engineered one where the island didn't exist at all.  I feel they should've done something more symbolic and meaningful with that.  Like having the island rise up from the water at the very end and they all step into the light and are back on the island to live out their lives in paradise.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »
I think they wanted us to decide for ourselves what alot of things meant (Better than having to give us answers that some of us won't like, I guess).  My feeling was that the ATL was a type of purgatory, not good or bad, not Heaven or Hell, just a stopping point on the way to moving on.  In their 'imagined' lives while they waited, there was an island, a Dharma (Ben and his father were there and we saw the remains underwater), but at some point the light went out and the island sank.  It doesn't change things for the characters because this life isn't real.  There is no light in their lives here.  They will find the light and the love they seek when they are ready to come together and let go.  The island has no power over them anymore.  That's my interpretation.

The genius of the finale is that I can be right and someone who has a completely different take on it can also be right in their minds.  They left it open for interpretation without just fading to black like the Sopranos.  They showed us everything, they just didn't explain it all.  The only ones who should be disappointed are the fans who wanted the show to go in a different direction completely.  I also would have enjoyed it if they had made Dharma the antagonists instead of introducing the MIB as the central nemesis.  I liked the sci-fi of the show too, but I'm left satisfied that Dharma was just a period in time for the island.

Offline Caitlin

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »
I think they wanted us to decide for ourselves what alot of things meant (Better than having to give us answers that some of us won't like, I guess).  My feeling was that the ATL was a type of purgatory, not good or bad, not Heaven or Hell, just a stopping point on the way to moving on.  In their 'imagined' lives while they waited, there was an island, a Dharma (Ben and his father were there and we saw the remains underwater), but at some point the light went out and the island sank.  It doesn't change things for the characters because this life isn't real.  There is no light in their lives here.  They will find the light and the love they seek when they are ready to come together and let go.  The island has no power over them anymore.  That's my interpretation.

The genius of the finale is that I can be right and someone who has a completely different take on it can also be right in their minds.  They left it open for interpretation without just fading to black like the Sopranos.  They showed us everything, they just didn't explain it all.  The only ones who should be disappointed are the fans who wanted the show to go in a different direction completely.  I also would have enjoyed it if they had made Dharma the antagonists instead of introducing the MIB as the central nemesis.  I liked the sci-fi of the show too, but I'm left satisfied that Dharma was just a period in time for the island.

Lostfan777--you worded this perfectly.  This is exactly how I took the finale to be as well. :)

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
ok, this is what I was thinking, and DON'T LAUGH AT ME!! lol.

The Alt-Oceanic 815 was separated from the island by water because where they are is separate from earth... like a metaphor for the barrier between this world and the next... ?
Insightful metaphor!

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
As Juilet said, "It worked"  The bomb worked.  At least it did in the Sideways...  The Sideways was a make-believe world, as if the bomb sunk the island in 1977. Thus preventing the plane from crashing in 2004.  But just like David never really existed :(  The island never really sunk...

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
As Juilet said, "It worked"  The bomb worked.  At least it did in the Sideways...  The Sideways was a make-believe world, as if the bomb sunk the island in 1977. Thus preventing the plane from crashing in 2004.  But just like David never really existed :(  The island never really sunk...

Oh wow! So easily stated and a sensible explaination --thank you.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »
The "Flash Sideways timeline" was the eternal meeting place. They'd decided that it was the crash that brought them together so they engineered a reality whereby the island sunk, thereby explaining the flight not crashing, Desmond not being on it etc etc. Retrospectively, I would suggest that the bomb didn't sink it. That just caused The Incident and nothing more.

I thought the "incident" was caused by not pushing the button, and that's why it was emphasized in the training video to be so diligent?

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »

I thought the "incident" was caused by not pushing the button, and that's why it was emphasized in the training video to be so diligent?

Agree to some extent.  It was the electromagnetic anomaly that was the incident.  And that is what pushing the button prevented...  At least that is what Dr Chang thought...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:06:50 PM by My Sideways Self »

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
Of course, the island DID move when Ben turned the donkey wheel...