Author Topic: Jack didn't bless Hurley's water?  (Read 4341 times)

Offline sonofsuns34

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jack didn't bless Hurley's water?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »
I figured that the words were not important, just the belief in the transition of power

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 12:35:10 PM »
I figured that the words were not important, just the belief in the transition of power
I guess I am left confused by exactly what power the protectors have?  Jacob seemed not to age, just like Richard.  Beyond that, he could be killed, didn't seem to have any special knowledge other than his personal experience, and could only not be killed by MiB because of something Mother did specifically for him and MiB, not something she did in a general sense for all island protectors.  Jack could be killed, didn't seem to have any special knowledge, just intuition and what Jacob told him.  Jack could be killed.   

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
The protector can summon people to the island and also by giving them a touch, protect them from evil and give them immortality. That's all I saw. Perhaps there is more..... it seems there should be more

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
I guess I am left confused by exactly what power the protectors have?  Jacob seemed not to age, just like Richard.  Beyond that, he could be killed, didn't seem to have any special knowledge other than his personal experience, and could only not be killed by MiB because of something Mother did specifically for him and MiB, not something she did in a general sense for all island protectors.  Jack could be killed, didn't seem to have any special knowledge, just intuition and what Jacob told him.  Jack could be killed.   

My guess would be different powers for different individuals, perhaps. But the biggest "power" they had was that they could establish rules by which everything must abide. It's almost as if the island protector could manipulate the laws of physics. Jack wasn't the island protector long enough for us to understand what powers he would have had, and we didn't see Hurley in the protector role but for about 90 seconds. "Powers" don't necessarily equate to invisibility or being able to fly lol :)...

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »
I am waiting for the Ben and Hurley series of Hurley's rule on the island!

Offline sonofsuns34

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
I agree with this, the foreshadowing to Jacob making his own rules was when him and MIB were playing Senet and MIB told Jacob that he couldnt move the pieces that way, and when he made his own game he could make the rules...
Futhermore when Hurley is talking about Desmond not be able to leave the island Ben says "that was Jacob's way of doing things" So the protector of the island gets to make the rules as he or she seems fit