Author Topic: What was with the crash scene at the end?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
What was with the crash scene at the end?
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:05:17 AM »
During the credits.

I didn't get that part.

Offline Kane

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: What was with the crash scene at the end?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:16:06 AM »
I think that was just a fond farewell to the wreck that started the whole thing...but I could be wrong.

Offline CrashandCari

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
That was my take on it as well. 

Offline lostjava

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »
I think they were showing that everyone actually died in the crash.

The plane is there.  It hasn't been scavanged for parts to make camp.  No sign of anyone around.

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
I'm going to pretend that part of the show didn't happen.  I like the way it ended and I don't need any more mysteries!

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »
I think that was just a fond farewell to the wreck that started the whole thing...but I could be wrong.
That's what I'm going with..

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »
I think that was the 'secret scene' they've been talking about.  And it was the only part of the finale I hated!  I was so pleased with the (predictable) closing eye final scene and then that last one opened up a can of worms.

No, I don't think everyone died on the original flight and the last six years never happened.  I took it, as most did I think, that the ATL was the 'purgatory' that everyone went to after they died, on the island or off, soon after the crash or later, or MANY years after in some cases.  The crash and everything else happened and they met up in the ATL to 'let go' and 'move on' together.  Beautifully done.  So was that last image just the remains of the plane?  What was the point in showing that to us again?

My next thought was that the Ajira plane was never able to 'escape' the island and crashed right back on the beach, killing Kate, Sawyer, etc.  Jack died happy thinking they were saved but only Hurley and Ben were really left, #1 and #2.  That would make sense for the protection of the island, I guess, but I didn't see anything that clearly marked the plane as Ajira.  And I would rather think that a few of them went on to live out their lives and die naturally later, and that they could then meet up with everyone in the ATL before moving on.

My last thought was that it was another crash altogether, in the future, to show that Hurley and Ben went on as Jacob and Richard had for so many years, dealing with newcomers to the island and protecting the light.  This would play along with Hurley and Ben's conversation that suggested they spent time together in charge of the island and they dealt with 'something' along the way that made them good at it.  The only difference would be that they had no existing smoke monster trying to kill Hurley.  Their objective would be to keep anyone who crashed on the island from finding the cave and becoming a new smoke monster or putting out the light altogether.  I'm not crazy about this theory either because then it takes away from the definitive 'end' with Jack closing his eyes.  We know that Hurley went on as protector, but I don't want to be reminded in the final image that there is a whole new storyline that could be developed.

Whatever it meant, I didn't need it.  I almost wish my DVR had cut out before I even saw it!

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
It came after the "Lost" boom!  So I didn't consider it as part of the story other than a homage to the show in general...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:51:06 PM by My Sideways Self »

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
It came after the "Lost" boom!  So I didn't consider it as part of the story other than a homage to show in general...
Agree!

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
Ack!  My DVR stopped during "Bad Robot".  Do I even want to see this scene?  If so, anyone know if its on youtube or anything?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
Yeah it wasn't even really a SCENE. More of two stills. A homage to a show that started out with a plane crash on an island turned into this epic event that became bigger than anyone could have possibly imagined.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
maybe it was an answer to one of the oldest questions we had: what happened to the wreckage? It didn't float out to sea and sink, it just went down island to another beach! It's been there all along!

;D
:D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
Yeah, don't read too much into that I think. Lost started with that set, so it was just a little nod to all the fans to remind us how far we've come and give us a moment of quiet reflection of what we've seen.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:59:01 PM by CaseyMac »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »
Ack!  My DVR stopped during "Bad Robot".  Do I even want to see this scene?  If so, anyone know if its on youtube or anything?

I didn't see it either.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
There are 3 still shots.

I choose to believe that it is a tribute to what launched it all.

If you look closely though, the second still seems to have foot prints in the sand, while the third still seems to have a little hut assembled from wreckage.

I don't think that it's proof of everyone dying a fiery death in the original crash.

REMEMBER THAT CHRISTIAN SAID: "Everyone dies, kiddo. Some before you, some long after"