Poll

Please give "The End" a rating and tell us what you thought of the episode in the comments.

11 (52.4%)
7 (33.3%)
1 (4.8%)
2 (9.5%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Episode 6x17 Rating  (Read 4026 times)

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Episode 6x17 Rating
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:54 AM »
Please tell us why you rated it the way you did.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 6x17 Rating
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:50:17 AM »
This will probably be the most controversial episode in the six season (save maybe "Expose"), but I can't stop thinking about it.  I'm going 10 even without all the answers.  For me, the storyline was completed and it gave us a taste of their importance to one another.  They'll be together forever.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
A 10. I smiled, I laughed, I cried, I got pissed, I loved it.
I am glad that John Terry came back at the end. I lost it when Vincent laid down beside Jack. It did end in a very Lost-like manner, but a kind of full circle one too.

Offline jinfan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
I gave it a 9. I liked the unexpected aspects, many gasping moments. I am sorry the Walt story wasnt covered, but I cant have it all. :D

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
This was an easy 10 for me. Once it started I forgot about all the questions I had. I sat back and enjoyed the storytelling that I fell in love with 6 years ago. For me, it was an amazing wrap up that was beautifully written and shot. I even enjoyed the 2 hour pre-show that I think was your "answers". The acting was just out of this world good. Michael Emerson had me crying when he and Hugo were speaking to each other(both times). It was always about the characters finding peace with themselves and it was good to see that in the end.

Side note: I was a little upset about the absence of Walt, because after Christian explained things to Jack it wouldn't matter if he was there all grown up. But, when I got up this morning it made sense to me him not being there. He got off the island and grew up and moved on with his life. The most important part of his life wasn't the island.(and this made me happy too)

Epic ending to and epic show!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
I gave it a ten though I was half expecting at the end for Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio, to show up. Last night's episode raised some questions like where did Richard end up going to live , can't picture him in La..... was hoping Desmond would get off the island, knew Hurley would be the Protector, predicted it  here on other LOST sites.
But the journey for them is complete, and we too went on the journey with them, and this became our place to meet, this became for so many of us our friends and our family. And like our survivors, we have traveled this journey to it's end and so many of us will continue on new journeys together.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
Um, yeah. I loved it. If ever there was a reason to have an 11 choice, today is it.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
I loved it! Yes, 10+++++++

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »

I will give this a 9 it didn't get the 10 that I hoped to give it. 
Basically the ending rather bothered me last night.  But I thought about it and given what they were trying to do it worked.  I don't agree with how it was done but it worked for them.  After all they are the subject matter experts and they get paid to write and create this.  It is easy to sit, stand, or hang upside down here and tear apart their hard work. 

So with that said I believe, in my own mind, that I figured the ending out, not what I had expected but then again I really didn't know what to expect.  I was a bit saddened that the battle of Jack and Locke was ended by the bullet of Kate's gun.  She had it out for him and no one was going to kill her man. 

Actually I think when we were viewing this  in real time, within minutes of the end, I could not help thinking back to Ellie crying and saying you are not taking him are you?  And then I thought there is another time line and to a degree another time line.  It was the end of time for all of them.

To simply wrap it up in a pretty bow whatever happened, happened.  The alternative time line was a creation of the Losties.  Their bond was so strong that they were able to create LA X and meet up so they could find each other as time and circumstances took them from the world.  In the end they died alone, at different points of their life and then they lived together in eternity.

How poignant an ending for a group of strangers, to be so devoted and caring that they wanted to be together forever in the afterlife.

Farewell characters of LOST you touched my life more than anyone could possibly know and it was one of the best rides in my life!

(A tear falling out of the right corner of my eye)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:24:37 AM by LostinLock »

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Beautifully written, LiL.

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »
Thank you for voicing my opinion, GJ, about how it had a "Titanic" ending.  And that's actually one of the things I hated about "Titanic," so I couldn't give the episode a 10.  But I did give it a 9.  I really enjoyed all of the characters getting together with their constants in the end.  That was nice.  Mr. Eko seemed to get the shaft this season, but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, don't you?

I knew Frank wasn't really dead.  I just wasn't convinced.

I have this nice relieved feeling about the show being over, and I think that's probably a good sign.  There are no questions that will bug me about the story, and I guess... it's a teeny bit underwhelming that they pulled the a "Titanic" ending, but I suppose I can live with that.  Interesting.

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »
Also... interesting that Penny left with Desmond.  She was never really on the island.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 07:26:23 AM »
Beautifully written, LiL.

Thanks - I admit I did struggle but I have learned there are some things we cannot change and to accept them and find the good in lieu of the bad.  It is funny the negative side just doesn't work.

oh and MIB was bad affter all huh :D ;D

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »
For the record, I gave this a 9.  Yes, I am finally weighing in.  I bit the bullet and re-watched from start to finish over the weekend (I was afraid to).

I thought it was a beautiful ending for the characters, and the final 20 minutes was beautiful and amazing and satisfying, and maybe my favorite 20-minute stretch of the whole series.  I was pleasantly surprised that they actually found a way to make the Sideways story work when they brought it together, at least in my book - this was better than having it be some alternate timeline that actually won out or lost out.  Upon re-watching, I saw that they continued to hammer home the key themes of the entire series: faith versus science, life & death & re-birth, live together die alone, and letting go of the past (whatever happened, happened).  I am cool with that.

The minuses for me were that the awakenings became a little repetitive and I agree with the general sentiment that they could have used a little more time to give us more direct answers to some of the nagging mysteries.  A lot of those mysteries did not need a ton of time as they were less relevant to the story, and I think if we dig deeper into the show we can connect the dots and find somewhat satisfying answers.  I mean, isn't that our job?  But I do think they could have balanced it out a little more.

Otherwise, I loved it, and I am happy with the way it ended, and I am one day going to be able to move on and let go.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:05:25 PM by E.S.B. »