Author Topic: Dan, Penny and Lipidas...???  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Dan, Penny and Lipidas...???
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:42:53 AM »
aaah!  the missing link for me was that i didn't hear Christian say that to jack. (which is weird because I usually  hang on to every word in this show  )  so everyone could have died at different times even 40 yrs later. ok. that's huge. now i see. thanks everyone!

but im still disappointed in what they did with Desmond. I'll have to think about this for a bit because i don't see how he was important in the end. (as of right now that is. I still have to let all of this sink in,) but  Jack could have done what he did... and he did in the end.. sooo...  :(

thoughts on this??? ...
Mrs. H!!!  I think Desmond was special.  He made defeating MiB possible.  He killed the island (briefly) and made the MiB mortal... and I think only Des could have done that.  And like the good doctor, Jack healed the Island.  But it was all possible because of Desmond.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 06:14:24 AM »

Eko!!!! Why wasn't he there then? Did he already 'move on' then?
I think Eko moved on with young Yemi.  The two boys walked off together as children after Smokie killed Eko.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 06:22:02 AM »
aaah!  the missing link for me was that i didn't hear Christian say that to jack. (which is weird because I usually  hang on to every word in this show  )  so everyone could have died at different times even 40 yrs later. ok. that's huge. now i see. thanks everyone!

but im still disappointed in what they did with Desmond. I'll have to think about this for a bit because i don't see how he was important in the end. (as of right now that is. I still have to let all of this sink in,) but  Jack could have done what he did... and he did in the end.. sooo...  :(

thoughts on this??? ...
Mrs. H!!!  I think Desmond was special.  He made defeating MiB possible.  He killed the island (briefly) and made the MiB mortal... and I think only Des could have done that.  And like the good doctor, Jack healed the Island.  But it was all possible because of Desmond.

Add to that the fact that Desmond did all the manipulating in the Alt timeline to get everyone to finally realize the truth and "let go". Desmond was actually incredibly important and special.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:39 AM »

thoughts on this??? ...
I think the thing is, the energy present when the stone plug was in place would kill anyone but Desmond.  And it basically killed Jack after Jack restored the plug. 

Why Jack or Desmond didn't turn into their own version of Smokey is what I want to know.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Maybe because they sacrificed themselves and MIB was thrown inside out of anger.

Offline shadow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Why Jack or Desmond didn't turn into their own version of Smokey is what I want to know.

Desmond is immune.
Jack descended into the cave when the light was "off" and Smokeyization only occurs if you cross the threshold with the light on.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:06 AM »
Jack laid in the pool though as the light came back on, which I think would count as crossing the threshold.  I have questions about Desmond too.  So he basically had knowledge of both timelines, yet he was surprised when he uncorked the island and "it didn't work."  What was he expecting to happen?  Did he know he was dead in the other timeline?  Was he expecting to die right there?

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »
Desmond realized they were in perg but so did  eloise. Charlie was getting there, Hurley probably knew and didn't need Desmond. (we never saw Hurley find out. and Im thinking if he was the new Jacob, that he would have been the one to "show" everyone.)  I still thought Desmond was going to be much more important than he wound up being. but im not trying to knit pick. i was just trying to work it all out in my head after the finale. Not too sure how I felt about Jack never having a son. that one hurt. I felt a little tricked. but all in all, i liked it.

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Desmond realized they were in perg but so did  eloise. Charlie was getting there, Hurley probably knew and didn't need Desmond. (we never saw Hurley find out. and Im thinking if he was the new Jacob, that he would have been the one to "show" everyone.)  I still thought Desmond was going to be much more important than he wound up being. but im not trying to knit pick. i was just trying to work it all out in my head after the finale. Not too sure how I felt about Jack never having a son. that one hurt. I felt a little tricked. but all in all, i liked it.

When Locke told Jack that he didn't have a son after the operation, that was crushing; you could tell that somehow that made Jack think.

Offline shadow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
Jack laid in the pool though as the light came back on, which I think would count as crossing the threshold.

It is the difference between a light being on in a room before you walk into it and turning the light on after you do.

That is not important, though.

I provided an answer that could work in the story and that's the best you can hope for now. If you are still looking for answers, pretty much any one you get at this point is going to feel unsatisfactory. As we learned recently, answers to these questions will only lead to more questions.

Offline shadow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
Hurley probably knew and didn't need Desmond. (we never saw Hurley find out. and Im thinking if he was the new Jacob, that he would have been the one to "show" everyone.)

Desmond was crucial in getting Hurley and Libby together. They had met once, but without that second push from him, they would not have reconnected.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »
Maybe because they sacrificed themselves and MIB was thrown inside out of anger.

I think it has to do with a person's state of mind they are in when they enter. MiB had just killed his own Mother out of revenge. He was angry. The Light reacted to this and out popped the smoke Monster.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »
Who built the cave and made the light in the first place?  It must be a ancient alien civilization ;)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
Who built the cave and made the light in the first place?  It must be a ancient alien civilization ;)
Wasn't that the plot of the most recent Indiana Jones movie?  ;D

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
Do you mean the moment Hurley became aware of the Island life?  We saw that when he kissed Libby on the beach.

The whole thing with Jack having a son is probably the one thing that bothers me about the ATL.