Author Topic: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: My musings on the finale (and I didn't like it)
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »
I have to agree with the haters... I felt totally cheated! It seems last night's ending would have been fine actually welcomed if there had been a couple more episodes in between. I have no problem with them meeting again and moving on together but I feel duped. I watched each episode several times checking this website for easter eggs... titles of books, the numbers, I don't have to list I'm sure you all did the same thing.... looking at screencaps etc and for what???? Over and over  Darlton vehemetly denied time travel parallel universes and purgatory.... really guys??? I have to agree with the poster who said it seemed rushed like the finale snuck up on them and they phoned it in. I along with many fans were totally invested thought that the true followers who sifted through all the clues would be rewarded instead we are left with a collective HUH? I think the writers screwed us plain and simple they led us down a path where we thought the end is going to wow us all our questions will be answered and our devotion would be rewarded instead they did not care that the questions they posed were answered or not and just cashed their paycheck. And the poster who said he would rather come up with his own answers that is not what we signed up for. They made the island the main character and then never explained why. There are so many unanswered questions. Why continue to pose them if you as the writer and creator have no intention of bringing them to a conclusion. I totally agree with the poster who mentioned the sixth sense I also was expecting an aha moment that would cause me to watch the seasons over again with new fervor. If the writers strike had that big of an impact then they should've lengthened the season and recovered. And if there is a full length as rumored I will not be spending my $10 to watch it no matter how much it promises to satisfy my questions. To those that liked it if you're truly honest you will admit that they took too long to get there NOT answering questions. I have no problem with that finale AFTER the mysteries were solved.

OMG, this is a fantastic fantastic Post. Very well said! and I agree 100%

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2010, 01:55:16 AM »
1. Hurley and Ben: The Island survived, meaning the protector of the Island, Jacob and then Jack, succeeded. If the Island survives, and Jack dies, someone needs to take it over. Ben summed it up beautifully when he said "Do what you do best, Hugo. Help people." Now, perhaps you would have been happier having the Island sink, but that would have meant that Jack failed and would have, as MIB put it, "died for nothing". For me, knowing that Hurley and Ben live on, running the Island in a totally different way for possibly hundreds of years if not more is a very very cool happy ending. It also sparks my imagination for all the possibilities of how Hurley would run things differently than Jacob.

2. Saying any 2-bit college student could have written that finale is so ludicrous, I'm not even going to respond other than pointing out what a ridiculous comment that is.

3. The WHOLE show doesn't matter because it ended...you could use that argument for every single piece of literature, play, tv show, and movie ever made. The whole line of Christian saying "We all die, kiddo." is true. The point of that was in all their lives, the time they spent together on the island was the most important in their lives. I'm sure we all will have moments in our lives that are the most important, either with friends and family, or careers. If you really want to think about it, it kind of points to the meaning of their lives...which is a pretty big philosophical issue.

4. Who won? I don't want to sound like a total jerk, but you did watch the finale right? The great conflict between Jacob and MIB that lasted thousands of years...Jacob won. That scene on the cliff, then Jack going back and saving the Island...I thought that was pretty clear.

5. Do I feel all warm and fuzzy? Yeah, I wanted a happy ending, and not some greek tragedy where everyone dies int he worst way imaginable at the end. So, when Jack's eyeball closed, I felt very warm and fuzzy, even more so when I watched it the second time around, and I'll feel it every time I watch it from here on out.
1. I wasn't implying I would have liked the island to sink.  I was merely bringing up the point that again, one more thing was created, yet left unexplained.  Why even write that Hugo and Ben take over...THEN SKIP right to the end of that reign.  It just seems really cheesy.  Why not just say they took it over and end there?? 

2.  It is not ridiculous.  My point here was that it takes no talent to create an ending that really has very few ties to most of what the show was about.  The real talent would have been bringing it all together somehow, like they had done with many things throughout the past 6 years.  Not just making an ending that most of the previous 5 years had nothing to do with.

3.  Again you missed my point here.  I was simply stating that the ending was relatively independent of what went on for the previous 5 years.  They wrote an ending that did not wrap up 90% of what we watched.

4 and 5.  That paragraph you quoted was not to be literally applied to the show.  I wasn't asking who won, Jacob or MIB.  And I wasn't asking if you felt warm and fuzzy about the ending of LOST.  I was simply comparing the show to watching a sporting event and not seeing the end.  You feel shortchanged.

It is quite apparent that you and some others simply only care about the beginning and the end.  Anything in between is just filler and you do not really care how many questions are raised and not answered.  Or how many blanks are left unfilled.  But to me, the true art of the story telling in this show was how it created questions and scenarios that seemed completely unrelated, yet season after season we found how it was all pieced together.  Then at the end, all of a sudden the writers decide to simply stop piecing things together and write what seemed to me like an abrupt, rushed ending.

That was the disappointing part.

I do not believe anyone can argue that one of the most compelling things about this show was how many questions it would raise over the seasons, and how would they be answered (i.e. relate to the big picture).  The satisfaction, for me at least, came when I could see those questions answered and how they tied in.  Although the show did this successfully for me for 6 years, sadly the ending fell far short of what the show had previously delivered.

1. You can't have it both ways. Either the Island sinks and is gone forever, then you have to explain the ramifications of that. Or the Island survives and a new protector is needed to guard the light, in which case you need to explain that. The writers chose the later, and Hurley is the new protector. Happily...ever...after.

2. I stand by what I said. I think it's silly to say that finale was something any college drop out could have done.

3. I understand what you are saying, but I honestly don't think you can watch the end of the finale and not see how the ONLY reason it is emotional at all is because of the sum of the parts leading up to the moment. If you played that scene at the end of season 2, it wouldn't have had a fraction of the emotion it did.

4-5. OK I think I understand what you meant in your metaphor now, which is good, because how anyone could ask "who won" was really beyond me. lol

Once again, though, LOST, more than any other show I've seen, built on what had come before it. There was almost no way to jump into season 4 without watching 1-3. I really don't see how the finale "skipped" over anything important. Yeah, we had some happily-ever-afters like Hurley/Ben and the characters on the plane, but it felt like a real seemless transition. The finale answered the biggest question of the entire show...how does it all end for our characters?

I don't feel like I missed anything by not seeing the sitcom "My 2 Mommies" about Kate and Claire raising Aaron. Or the "Just For Men" hair dye infommercial with Richard and Miles. Or "Wings 2" with Frank and Sawyer. The story of the Losties on the Island was perfectly complete. The only "holes" are some minor insignificant details, and some major philisophical questions but every great story has those.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to tell you how to feel. If you were disappointed, you aren't alone. I'm just responding to the points you brought up and explaining my point of view and why I wasn't disappointed even though we watched the same exact thing.

Offline lostgirl2

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
It was always about the characters... and whether we like it or not, the only way to end this was with the death of them all. The only other ending would have been Jack and Flocke on the the beach having the same conversation that Jacob and MIB had....they come, they destroy...it all ends the same...they all die. Cheers!

Offline sadavidas

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »
If they would have taken time out of OUR story to tell that one, I think most of us would be supremely pissed.

I know you are upset about having to explain who built the statue to everyone numerous times, but as far as OUR story is concerned, Season 6 as a whole had a whole lot of unnecessary filler. Quite honestly, I would have enjoyed watching an hour of Egyptians carving the statue's nose out of a block of stone more than hearing a guy translate for a man who does not need translation.

And don't give that B.S. about how people respected him more or whatever if he needed a translator because I for one think that whole part of the story was unnecessary at this point of the story.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57:58 AM »
If they would have taken time out of OUR story to tell that one, I think most of us would be supremely pissed.

I know you are upset about having to explain who built the statue to everyone numerous times, but as far as OUR story is concerned, Season 6 as a whole had a whole lot of unnecessary filler. Quite honestly, I would have enjoyed watching an hour of Egyptians carving the statue's nose out of a block of stone more than hearing a guy translate for a man who does not need translation.

And don't give that B.S. about how people respected him more or whatever if he needed a translator because I for one think that whole part of the story was unnecessary at this point of the story.

I agree-that whole temple/Dogan story was too long and really uneccessary.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »

This is a little frustrating for me. Alot of people have been clamoring for more answers, but the whole time at the Temple is exactly what those answers look like. If we NEVER got that time there, we would have been hearing, "And what about the Temple? We've been hearing about it for seasons and never see it?" "Where did Alpert take Ben as a kid and what happened to him?" "What happened to the rest of the Others that Alpert mentioned?"

We didn't spend all that much time there, just enough to answer those questions, and get the ball rolling on Locke's crusade. We all said we wanted answers, well, we got it.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »

This is a little frustrating for me. Alot of people have been clamoring for more answers, but the whole time at the Temple is exactly what those answers look like. If we NEVER got that time there, we would have been hearing, "And what about the Temple? We've been hearing about it for seasons and never see it?" "Where did Alpert take Ben as a kid and what happened to him?" "What happened to the rest of the Others that Alpert mentioned?"

We didn't spend all that much time there, just enough to answer those questions, and get the ball rolling on Locke's crusade. We all said we wanted answers, well, we got it.

You are right Casey Mac the temple story was very neccessary for the history of the island and as well as the set up to what was coming. I just thought they added extraneous storylines and we could have spent a shorter time there. As soon as we saw the temple we kind of knew what it was all about. Why add in that whole "take this pill Sayid" story line? I figure Jacob was testing Sayid and Jack to see if they were good at following orders or something but IMO I didn't need the story.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »

You are right Casey Mac the temple story was very neccessary for the history of the island and as well as the set up to what was coming. I just thought they added extraneous storylines and we could have spent a shorter time there. As soon as we saw the temple we kind of knew what it was all about. Why add in that whole "take this pill Sayid" story line? I figure Jacob was testing Sayid and Jack to see if they were good at following orders or something but IMO I didn't need the story.

I hear what you are saying, and I'll spare you my thoughts on the whole Sayid storyline. I'll just say that we really didn't spend all that much time there. If it was any less, I think you run the risk of it feeling like Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Vacation when they go to the Grand Canyon. Everybody is gawking at it, he walks up, puts his arm around his wife, takes it in for a second, then says, "OK lets go." If they would have just showed the Temple, and then moved on, it would have felt too brief. I think you walk a real fine line there between staying long enough and staying too long.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
LOL Chevy Chase--love that movie! I guess it's true we did need some time at the temple after hearing so much about it for so long.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »

Temple should never have been introduced to begin with.  Yeah, I can say now that, having introduced the idea of the temple,  if they hadn't shown the temple people would have complained, so they had to show it.  Problem is, if they didn't have anything good to show us, they shouldn't have introduced the temple to begin with, and they could have spent the screen time on something better.

Writing the show is like a chess game.  Yeah, trading my queen for the other guy's bishop was a crappy move.  But the real crappy move I made was 5 moves ago when I moved my queen into a precarious position that I wasn't able to get out of.   Same with what happened to the temple and many other mysteries, introducing them with no good payoff planned, but then feeling compelled to either not explain it (massive complaints) or showing us a crappy resolution (massive complaints).   

Same situation here. 

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »

Temple should never have been introduced to begin with.  Yeah, I can say now that, having introduced the idea of the temple,  if they hadn't shown the temple people would have complained, so they had to show it.  Problem is, if they didn't have anything good to show us, they shouldn't have introduced the temple to begin with, and they could have spent the screen time on something better.

Writing the show is like a chess game.  Yeah, trading my queen for the other guy's bishop was a crappy move.  But the real crappy move I made was 5 moves ago when I moved my queen into a precarious position that I wasn't able to get out of.   Same with what happened to the temple and many other mysteries, introducing them with no good payoff planned, but then feeling compelled to either not explain it (massive complaints) or showing us a crappy resolution (massive complaints).   

Same situation here. 

First of all, the Temple kinda helped explain the whole heart of the Island thing. It really set the stage for it.

2nd, not every answer has to be "the key". Take for example, the polar bear from the pilot. There were a million theories as to what it meant, and the revelation was fairly simple. The temple really was like the ancient version of the Swan.