Author Topic: MIB to destroy the island  (Read 945 times)

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
MIB to destroy the island
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »
Did MIB's announcement that he was going to destroy the island (using Desmond/Charle's plan) strike anyone else as a bit out of the blue?  We know that he wants to leave and has wanted that for a long time - other than the series is ending and destroying the island is a heck of a way to go out - why this new addition to MIB's motives?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: MIB to destroy the island
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
What I can't figure out is why he bothered telling Ben? lol

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Maybe he's realizing that he won't be able to get off by killing the candidates anymore and destroying the island altogether is another way that he can get off.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
Did MIB's announcement that he was going to destroy the island (using Desmond/Charle's plan) strike anyone else as a bit out of the blue?  We know that he wants to leave and has wanted that for a long time - other than the series is ending and destroying the island is a heck of a way to go out - why this new addition to MIB's motives?
My guess - Smokey can leave either via the death of all candidates / protectors, or through destruction of the island.  Smokey was never able to destroy the island for some reason we don't know.  It was never an option until now.  But he now knows that Desmond can destroy the island, so that if he can get Desmond to do it, it is an option - one that is probably easier than having Ben kill all the candidates / protectors of the island.  

its easier for Smokey to destroy the island now that he has a tool to do it (Desmond) than it is for Smokey to have Ben kill the other candidates.  He can escape either through the island's destruction, or the death of all candidates/protectors.  Now that Jack has become the new Jacob, it probably will make it that much harder for Smokey to kill those he must kill in order to leave.  

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:42 PM »
I think it kind of goes against what we thought the Losties objective might be. Sinking the island may lead to the Light going out, or MiB being set free. Either way I think the destruction of the island will lend itself to be a positive thing for MiB. I don't think we are going to be treated to MiB "Winning" by sinking the Island, and then all of a sudden he doesn't win because the outcomeis not what he expected.

Offline spencer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
The question is:
How exactly can Desmond sink the island?
What power other than time travel does he have?

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »
The question is:

Desmond can withstand the EM forces.  So rather than being spit out in Tunisia, Desmond will be able to turn the Donkey Wheel "all the way" and "unscrew the cork" that is the Island sitting on top of the Source of light.  So the Island sinks to the bottom of the ocean (as far as the X timeline is concerned) and the original timeline ceases to exist.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »
The question is:

Desmond can withstand the EM forces.  So rather than being spit out in Tunisia, Desmond will be able to turn the Donkey Wheel "all the way" and "unscrew the cork" that is the Island sitting on top of the Source of light.  So the Island sinks to the bottom of the ocean (as far as the X timeline is concerned) and the original timeline ceases to exist.

Exactly!  My thoughts are that if the island is sunk BEFORE MIB can escape, he will be either killed or trapped there.  I don't think sinking the island will destroy the light because I think the water is also part of the power in the cave.  desmond is the only one with the power to withstand what needs to be done and also bring the characters together (and aware) in the ATL, which will be saved.

I'm not sure either why MIB would tell Ben he wants to destroy the island, especially right after he told him he was going to leave the island to him.  But I think the reason he wants to destroy it is so that no one can return there after he's escaped to attempt to change things once again.  he wants to be sure that once he's gone, the island can't bring him baaaaaaaack!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »
The question is:

Very very very cool theory!

Then again, Desmond may already be on Elizabeth again, sailing his way back to Penny. I mean, it kind of was his boat.