Author Topic: Let's Revisit "The Epic of Gilgamesh" and see how it applies today  (Read 979 times)

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I originally posted this in 2006, and in going back through my ridiculous ideas and theories, wondered if this still applies today, with what we know about Smokey and Locke?
Originally posted on The Black Rock:
 Post subject: MrEko's Death--he was our modern day Enkidu
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:59 pm   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In S2, Collision, Locke is working on a crossword puzzle in which the clue is "Gilgamesh's companion" and the answer was "Enkidu...." It wasn't until S03E05 The Cost of Living that we found what the story meant and how it pertained to the dynamics between MrLocke and MrEko.

Mr. Enkidu in The Epic of Gilgamesh:

Enkidu is the quintessential savage person in the beginning of the epic:

the short version of the long story is that Enkidu was a man of the wild, protecting the wild animals from trappers. Trappers appealed to Gilgamesh to intervene, but Gilgamesh refused, only asking that they take a woman to Enkidu (as temptation) to remove him from his beastly ways. Ultimately, it worked and Enkidu became "civilized" and he and Gilgamesh became brothers of faith, if you will.

Later in the Epic, Enkidu assists Gilgamesh in his fight against the guardian monster of the Cedar forest. Enkidu kills several in the name of righteousness (despite his initial repulse for the idea), but ultimately dies to pay for his sins. The monster of the Cedar forest can only kill one--either Gilgamesh or Enkidu and it is ultimately Enkidu who will pay. The gods passed judgment that Enkidu had no justification for killing, so Gilgamesh was spared and it was Enkidu who bought the farm.

Before Enkidu died, he whispered to Gilgamesh that he too will pay for his sins. In the Third Tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh, it is told that Enkidu ventures into the underworld, although it is believed by scholars that it was not part of the original Sumarian story and was later added.

In the end, Enkidu's death provided Gilgamesh with the drive to seek eternal life and happiness--it set him forth on his quest.

In LOST, MrLocke is Gilgamesh and MrEko was Enkidu--who refused to confess his sins and paid the ultimate price--judgment was passed and he was killed. Gilgamesh avenged Enkidu's death by judgment--but not through death, by searching for peaceful existence and eternal life.

Chew on that, Losties. MrEko's place in the LOST plot storyline was to advance MrLocke's search/quest--and to teach and remind him of and about about faith.
whatcha think?

cheers
*Des8

What do YOU think?

Cheers
*Des8