Author Topic: As a father, I'm a little offended!  (Read 5574 times)

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: As a father, I'm a little offended!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
I thought Kate had been crossed off the list much earlier than when she took Aaron -- like way before the "numbers" earlier. There are 6 numbers highlighted throughout all of LOST:
    * 4 - Locke
    * 8 - Reyes
    * 15 - Ford
    * 16 - Jarrah
    * 23 - Shephard
    * 42 - Kwon

So where is Kate's number?

I guess I just found that explanation a little weak in light of everything else they've told us.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I thought Kate had been crossed off the list much earlier than when she took Aaron -- like way before the "numbers" earlier. There are 6 numbers highlighted throughout all of LOST:
    * 4 - Locke
    * 8 - Reyes
    * 15 - Ford
    * 16 - Jarrah
    * 23 - Shephard
    * 42 - Kwon

I guess I just found that explanation a little weak in light of everything else they've told us.

The show hasn't explained why those 6 numbers were being transmitted on a radio signal, nor why those 6 numbers needed to be entered into the computer, etc, etc...and it never will lol. So we can't really say whether or not Kate's number not being one of the numbers means anything concerning her being crossed of the list of candidates.

It would have been great if the Oceanic 6 ended up matching the numbers, but obviously that didn't happen, either lol... :)

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
    * 4 - Locke
    * 8 - Reyes
    * 15 - Ford
    * 16 - Jarrah
    * 23 - Shephard
    * 42 - Kwon

The show hasn't explained why those 6 numbers were being transmitted on a radio signal, nor why those 6 numbers needed to be entered into the computer, etc, etc...and it never will lol. So we can't really say whether or not Kate's number not being one of the numbers means anything concerning her being crossed of the list of candidates.

It would have been great if the Oceanic 6 ended up matching the numbers, but obviously that didn't happen, either lol... :)

Oh I know that, that's my disappointment. It's like her being on the list wasn't really thought out by the producers at the beginning. They practically shoved those six numbers down our throats and I'm disappointed in the way they handled this.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
    * 4 - Locke
    * 8 - Reyes
    * 15 - Ford
    * 16 - Jarrah
    * 23 - Shephard
    * 42 - Kwon

Oh I know that, that's my disappointment. It's like her being on the list wasn't really thought out by the producers at the beginning. They practically shoved those six numbers down our throats and I'm disappointed in the way they handled this.

Oh, there is a LOT on this show that makes it seem as if they didn't think it through lol :)...And I agree with you that the reality behind the mysterious numbers should have been a MUCH better story. Having them line up with different candidates was cool and all, but they ended up underplaying the numbers to a disappointing degree as the show came to its end.

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
Soooo, Kate was crossed off because she became a mother.  The job was still hers if she wanted but Jacob thought being a mother made her a bad choice because she wouldn't be able to commit fully to the island over her child.  That brings us back to Kwon.  Using Jacob's reasoning, that means Sun wouldn't have been his candidate after all.  And since time was obviously a factor here, and Ji Yeon wouldn't be suitable as a replacement for quite some time, that leaves Jin as the only possible Kwon candidate.  So Jacob doesn't think being a father is as important as being a mother?  He didn't have a father around and look what a mess he ended up making of his life, not to mention his brother's!

I think maybe the writers are the ones with the mommy and daddy issues, not just the characters!  As a proud father, I say we should band together and boycott this show.  Starting next week, I refuse to watch this insulting show any more!  (Uh, for the record, I consider Sunday to be the end of THIS week....)
 ;) ;D

I think that probably stems from Jacob's relationship with his own "mother". Even MIB had issues with Claire being a "crazy mother" too. Don't take it personally Daddy-O  ;)

I agree - seeing how Jacob/MIB's mother was at being the guardian of the island, he is right to have a bad taste in his mouth when it comes to moms doing that job.  Look at the mess his mom made of things.

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »

Sure, but at this point, that's par for the course. Pretty much ALL of the explanations this season have been weak, imo.  And with the chances that the writers have had to hit a home run with some of the answers we've gotten, they've actually managed to do the opposite, killing the impact by either underwhelming the viewer (Michael's explanation of the whispers, Jacob around the campfire, the cave of light), or overplaying the moment by doing something that completely breaks with the show's presentation style (doing the "replay" of the scene from Season 1 when we learn who Adam and Eve are). 

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
I agree that TPTB have "mommy" and "daddy" issues that have been pervasively underlying to the theme of this show -- in a way that never made any sense to me, frankly.

I also think that as much as they've given female characters large roles, and did a great job at the start of this show with the roles they gave to non-white characters; they have still wound up with it all coming down to white men and one last female love interest.  Too bad they couldn't sustain the conscious effort they made at the start when they pushed toward the end when their subconsicous bias has taken over.

I think that gender and ethnic bias is so pervasive in society that it's still hard for people to pull back and recognize when unequal status of the character types is there -- and this show has been way betterthan most at avoiding that.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 03:45:12 AM »
totally agree with all the crappy writing reasons

it has nothing to do with gender or mommy issues with Jacob

its just bad, lazy writing, "hey, how do we explain Kate being a candidate, but not one of the 6 ??? "

3 hours of deep, but unproductive thinking later

"ah, screw it, let's just say its because of Aaron"

they've screwed up
numbers from the tower, number MUST be entered in the computer, numbers are candidates, numbers are points on a compass
they've dug themselves into a hole and they can't weave it all together to get themselves out

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
I didn't mind the explanation of her name being marked off. His mother(fake and real) was taken from him and he didn't want that for Aaron. I didn't feel like it was a cheap answer. Just my opinion though  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:58:26 AM by Suzanne4Au2 »

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
I agree, it seemed a perfectly reasonable answer. The other candidates have no kids that they are actively parenting so they are still viable candidates.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »
Here's another wall to bang my head against. This show is absolutely 100% NOT composed of crappy writing. The numbers were posed to us, and I have a feeling they were known to be the identifying numbers of the final 6 candidates. That's why the ties in to the equation that determines the end of the world. Where the skilled writing comes in to play is that they never gave us the correlation or the specific numbers to specific people. The could have made Charlie 23, or Nikki 8, IF they were the characters that were going to be around in the end. Instead they were characters whom the story deemed must die, and therefore they were not given those numbers. You have to approach the numbers from a backward prospective. Thinking that at the start of the show they had an idea that these numbers would tie into the mystical fabric of all existance is wrong, and all the people who thought that, including me, have to get over it and realize how the numbers ARE important. Stop focussing on how you THOUGHT they would be important.

As for the diverse nature of the show and it coming down to three white guys, and a love interest, I take some offense to that. Hurley is hispanic. just because he has light skin he should be left out of a show's endgame? Also Jin and Sun were two of the final 6 candidates. Thats 50% of the final candidates being "non-white". This show has been a beacon for writing well thought out and developed characters for all ethnicities, and to try to diminish that because of the final 4 candidates "none" of them are non-white (which I pointed out is incorrect) is wrong. The ethnic characters that were written in to the show were all incredibly well thought out and motivated, coplex individuals. That is what should be focussed on when talking about the way "non-white" characters were portrayed. This show did what more shows should, and I hope will, do for ethnic characters.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:48:20 AM by I_Am_Jacob »

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »
I didn't mind the explanation of her name being marked off. His mother(fake and real) was taken from him and he didn't want that for Aaron. I didn't feel like it was a cheap answer. Just my opinion though  ;D

I didn't mind it either.  We've been told that everything won't be spelled out for us, that some things will be left for us to decide for ourselves.  So I've decided, that since we've been shown Jacob and MIB were just two more flawed human beings, that there is a higher power at work.  Even Jacob didn't have all the answers, so although he may have made the list, maybe Kate was just destined to not be one of the chosen numbers.  I'm fine with that.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »

As for the diverse nature of the show and it coming down to three white guys, and a love interest, I take some offense to that. Hurley is hispanic. just because he has light skin he should be left out of a show's endgame? Also Jin and Sun were two of the final 6 candidates. Thats 50% of the final candidates being "non-white". This show has been a beacon for writing well thought out and developed characters for all ethnicities, and to try to diminish that because of the final 4 candidates "none" of them are non-white (which I pointed out is incorrect) is wrong. The ethnic characters that were written in to the show were all incredibly well thought out and motivated, coplex individuals. That is what should be focussed on when talking about the way "non-white" characters were portrayed. This show did what more shows should, and I hope will, do for ethnic characters.

Don't forget Miles too!  ;D

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:53 PM »

Don't forget Miles too!  ;D

Oh I didn't forget Miles at all. I was just taking the defense of the group of people the endgame comes down too, The last Candidates. As it stands now, 25% of the characters left on the island are "non-white". And before this The Candidate, that number was 5 out of 11. Not a bad ratio for a show that, "couldn't sustain the conscious effort they made at the start." 

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »
I'll give you Jin and Sun -- it's not fair to discount them just because they didn't quite make it to the very last episode alive in the original timeline.  And Hurley is certainly "non-WASP", at least.

However, I still think there's a point to made about the difference between large roles and leadership roles.  I wouldn't say that Jin/Sun were ever allowed to fully lead in the way Sawyer's character was, for example.  Hurley drove a lot of the plot through his special abilities, and maybe you could say he has led some of this final Island drama.  I think Juliet came the closest to being given a true leadership role among the female characters -- but even with her, they reduced her story to fear of abandonment ("If I never met you, then I'd never have to lose you.")

To me, the "leader" roles have been Jack, John, Sawyer and Ben; after that Jacob, MIB, Widmore and maybe Juliet.  I don't recall many comments here to the effect that "everything would be all right if only they would all follow Kate".