Author Topic: Jack's Cut - Speculation  (Read 1840 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Jack's Cut - Speculation
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:56:57 AM »
OK, we get another shot of Jack looking at a mysterious cut on his neck. In the immortal words of Star Wars, "I have a bad feeling about this."

Is this some sort of foreshadowing of the fate of Jack? We were purposefully reminded of this cut we saw in LA X. Also, I'm sure alot of us have read the article that Damon wrote about how he would have killed off Harry Potter. Double also, we still have 3 candidates left and plenty of time, so maybe there will be yet another replacement after Jack dies.

Since we only have a few days left to speculate...anyone have any ideas?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Cut - Speculation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:22:36 AM »
I agree.  The first time, I thought it was a wound leftover from the Dharma/Jughead fights.  I'd kill off Jack if I were writing this too.  I still haven't read the last Harry Potter (or any of them)... I'll watch the movie though.  But I probably would've killed Harry off too, unless the last movie changes my mind.

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
Interesting speculation.  I think in the end, Jack will die.  But so will everyone else.  They will use the fail safe in Desmondo to sink the island causing a reset.  Somehow, the ATL will be about giving everyone the choice like, "Knowing all the crap you endured on the island, would you put up with it again to save the world?"  They will say yes and it will cause a cosmic chain reaction of some kind.

Offline PMMJ

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
Jack had an identical wound on his neck in the island universe after the explosion, where he was saved by Locke.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
Interesting speculation.  I think in the end, Jack will die.  But so will everyone else.  They will use the fail safe in Desmondo to sink the island causing a reset.  Somehow, the ATL will be about giving everyone the choice like, "Knowing all the crap you endured on the island, would you put up with it again to save the world?"  They will say yes and it will cause a cosmic chain reaction of some kind.

I agree and I don't.  Yes, they will all die on the island and the island will sink.  No Desmond won't cause a reset and there won't be any kind of loop in play where they have to do it all over again.  Desmond will be their 'constant' and will enlighten them all so that they will be fully aware of their other lives.  Although they have died or are about to die on the island, they will be brought through to the ATL completely with their memories of both worlds intact.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »
I took the cut to mean the island time is starting to "bleed" over to the alt timeline.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:58 PM »
Thinking of other wounds to the neck we've seen recently (Zoe, anyone?) is this foreshadowing Jack's death at the hand of MiB? 

Offline Beej

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
I think they are pulling a Back to the future on Jack, if he doesn't stop Flocke everybody is going to die in that timeline.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
I was thinking that now that Jack has accepted the job of Island protector, he doesn't get to also live on in the X timeline.  So he and Kate will meet up at David's concert and he'll remember their connection but he'll ultimately die in X.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
The cut seems to be the same one (although bigger) that was in the LAX episode. Perhaps he gets cut in the finale on-island and thus dies in the X. His cut will get larger and larger until he dies.

Just because the on-island timeline hasn't bled over into the X timeline doesn't mean it can't.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
The cut seems to be the same one (although bigger) that was in the LAX episode. Perhaps he gets cut in the finale on-island and thus dies in the X. His cut will get larger and larger until he dies.

Just because the on-island timeline hasn't bled over into the X timeline doesn't mean it can't.

I'm so confused!  We've been discussing in other threads how the island happenings have bled into the ATL but NOT the other way around.  You seem to be seeing it the OTHER WAY.  Now you have me thinking.  I've been assuming that all the things we've seen in both (Jack's appendix scar, Locke's wheelchair, etc.) were the result of the ATL being affected by the 'reality' of the original timeline.  But in fact, Jack had his appendix out as a child in the ATL and not until he was an adult on the island.  Locke has been in a wheelchair for three years prior to 2004 in the ATL, but I think he was thrown out the window by Cooper later than that in the original timeline (not sure?).  You might be right that  some of the things we've been seeing on the island have happened because they happened in the ATL first.  Maybe that is a clue that the ATL is the 'reality' that is supposed to continue on.  Like I said, I'm confused!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
I took the cut to mean the island time is starting to "bleed" over to the alt timeline.

Me, too.  As Beej said... "Back To The Future."  I have a bad feeling about this.

Right now I'm thinking that Jack will be the only one to die in both timelines.   Everyone else will die in just the on-island one.  But because Jack chose to step forward and be the hero and make the sacrifice and gain redemption and yadda-yadda-yadda...  You have to make the sacrifice to be the hero, maybe.

As soon as Locke slashed Zoe, I thought that looks a lot like what might happen to Jack...  It will be interesting to see if Jacob's "protection" from MIB might still apply to Jack.  I don't see how it should, but it might be.  Jacob did say "Now you're like me."  Maybe Locke will try to slash his throat but it'll only make an itty-bitty scratch? 

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »

Me, too.  As Beej said... "Back To The Future."  I have a bad feeling about this.

Right now I'm thinking that Jack will be the only one to die in both timelines.   Everyone else will die in just the on-island one.  But because Jack chose to step forward and be the hero and make the sacrifice and gain redemption and yadda-yadda-yadda...  You have to make the sacrifice to be the hero, maybe.

As soon as Locke slashed Zoe, I thought that looks a lot like what might happen to Jack...  It will be interesting to see if Jacob's "protection" from MIB might still apply to Jack.  I don't see how it should, but it might be.  Jacob did say "Now you're like me."  Maybe Locke will try to slash his throat but it'll only make an itty-bitty scratch? 

But -- Jacob was "like" their crazy mother, and MiB was able to kill her.  The only reason that MiB wasn't able to kill Jacob was because crazy mom made it that way specifically for those two brothers not to be able to kill each other.

Although, MiB wasn't able to kill Jack because he's a candidate.  So I suppose that means he probably still can't kill him directly.  He'd have to find someone else to do it for him.

I'll just add to this that I LOVE JACK. His self-sacrifice makes me melt and swoon.