Author Topic: Is Widmore dead?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Is Widmore dead?
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:17:52 AM »
Seemingly, the rules were set in place that Ben and Widmore couldn't harm one another.  Is it possible that Ben shot Widmore in an effort to actually save him?  If Ben believed that Locke was about to kill Widmore, Ben shoots him knowing that he can't actually kill him but preventing Locke from hurting Widmore, and thus actually sparing him. (Possibly allowing Widmore to play a part in the end-game.)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Is Widmore dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:30:50 AM »
Holland, you have a way of coming up with some really cool ideas. Always impressive. If I was to play devil's advocate, I would say that the rules between Ben and Widmore were different than Jacob's rules. Jacob's rules couldn't be broken, but we saw Widmore break his and Ben's rules by killing Alex.

But it would be cool to see Widmore show up at a time where all hope seemed lost...I kind of think thats going to be Miles' job in the finale though.

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
Widmore is dead.  Ben killed him in revenge for Alex.  When Ben first sees Widmore, he has that look like - "You? I never thought I would get the chance to cap you."  But my only hesitation is it seems Ben tries to kill Widmore before he can reveal the truth about Desmond.  Seems Ben may have been trying to thwart Smokey more than kill Widmore lat out.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
Crack pot theory of the day: Jacob made it so Widmore and the Others couldn't kill Alex, it was against the rules. Keamy kills Alex much like the same way MiB used ben to kill Jacob. It was just a loophole and neither Widmore or MiB are responsible for their deaths.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:46:44 AM »
I didn't even think of Ben killing Widmore to protect the island from Smokey. Hmmmmm. I like that idea better than him going back to bad Ben.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
Immediately thought that Ben was trying to do good by killing Widmore.  (overall good that is).  He didn't want Widmore to tell Smokey what Smokey needed to know.  I'm thinking in the end, Ben IS a good guy.

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
Immediately thought that Ben was trying to do good by killing Widmore.  (overall good that is).  He didn't want Widmore to tell Smokey what Smokey needed to know.  I'm thinking in the end, Ben IS a good guy.

Agreed.  Ben seemed like he wanted to silence Widmore before he could help Locke.   Now he's staying close, pretending he wants to help, but hoping to set Locke up for the kill.

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »

This was my immediate thought, also.  Because he stopped him just in time. 

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »
Seemingly, the rules were set in place that Ben and Widmore couldn't harm one another.  Is it possible that Ben shot Widmore in an effort to actually save him?  If Ben believed that Locke was about to kill Widmore, Ben shoots him knowing that he can't actually kill him but preventing Locke from hurting Widmore, and thus actually sparing him. (Possibly allowing Widmore to play a part in the end-game.)

I see where the thought is going, but I think you are taking the wrong path to it. Look at when Michael tried killing himself. He tried the car, but ended up being saved with virtually no permanent damage done. Then he tries the gun, and it doesn't fire. I think that the rule that says Ben can't kill Widmore, doesn't mean he can shoot him multiple times, and he is okay, but rather the gun wouldn't have worked. Whatever rule there was in place somehow dissolved.

Holland, you have a way of coming up with some really cool ideas. Always impressive. If I was to play devil's advocate, I would say that the rules between Ben and Widmore were different than Jacob's rules. Jacob's rules couldn't be broken, but we saw Widmore break his and Ben's rules by killing Alex.

But it would be cool to see Widmore show up at a time where all hope seemed lost...I kind of think thats going to be Miles' job in the finale though.

I don't know if I'm going to be the unpopular guy for saying this, but Widmore didn't kill Alex. Now don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that Keamy wasn't there on the island because of Widmore, but honestly, Widmore didn't kill her.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »
Yes, Widmore hired keamy and probably didn't realize what a mercenary type of guy he was. Widmore had nothing to do with Alex's death except for the fact he sent Keamy. That wasn't Widmore's plan. His plan was to capture Ben--alive.

Offline winterfog

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
Why were Widmore and the nerd-chick just sitting there in the closet?  Weren't they supposed to be escaping, something that appears Miles knows how to do well.  Or were they playing decoy so that Miles could escape unnoticed and unfollowed?  It just surpised me when MiB opened the secret closet and those two were just standing there waiting, I thought they'd be gone.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:31 PM »
Why were Widmore and the nerd-chick just sitting there in the closet?  Weren't they supposed to be escaping, something that appears Miles knows how to do well.  Or were they playing decoy so that Miles could escape unnoticed and unfollowed?  It just surpised me when MiB opened the secret closet and those two were just standing there waiting, I thought they'd be gone.

I think they were just there hiding. For some reason (I haven't the slightest idea why) Widmore didn't think Ben would betray him.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
Its a great theory but I don't think so.  We've seen so far that when you can't do something, if you try to do it, you get stymied and snookered.  I.E. Keamy trying to kill Michael, and his gun jams (or Michael trying to kill himself, and the gun jams).  I don't think Ben actually shooting Widmore would save him.  If it were meant to be that Ben cannot kill Widmore, then gun wouldn't have fired.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »

I think they were just there hiding. For some reason (I haven't the slightest idea why) Widmore didn't think Ben would betray him.

Yeah, I think that was one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. There is no way to outrun the smoke. If MIB had wanted to catch up to Miles, or knew he was running, Miles would have been toast.

I don't know if I'm going to be the unpopular guy for saying this, but Widmore didn't kill Alex. Now don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that Keamy wasn't there on the island because of Widmore, but honestly, Widmore didn't kill her.

Actually, I get what you are saying. Widmore didn't directly kill Alex kinda like MIB didn't directly kill Jacob. Also, it's unlikely that Widmore gave explicit orders to kill Alex, it was just Keamy getting the job done by any means necessary.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
Widmore said Jacob visited him and he knew the purpose now.
Than Smoky tells him that he is going to kill Penny when he leaves the island and
Widmore immediatly tells him all the secrets.
Doesn't sound like he firmly believed in Jacob, sounds like he believed that MIB would win
and leave the place and kill Penny.
Why bother about Penny if you believe that the world will end and everyone will cease to
exist if MIB leaves the island. Penny would be gone anyway?