Author Topic: 20 questions with Jacob....  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: 20 questions with Jacob....
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 01:24:09 PM »
I know that occasionally they do get it right when they do the movie thing to TV shows (Serentity for Firefly is the main example I have), but more often they screw everything up because they have this big budget and just make the show seem tacky.

You're right that it almost always goes bad and X-Files is a great example of doing it wrong.

Star Trek is an example of doing it right.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
I know that occasionally they do get it right when they do the movie thing to TV shows (Serentity for Firefly is the main example I have), but more often they screw everything up because they have this big budget and just make the show seem tacky.

You're right that it almost always goes bad and X-Files is a great example of doing it wrong.

Which Star Trek are you talking about?? Please don't tell me you're talking about the J.J. Abrahms one.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »

Which Star Trek are you talking about?? Please don't tell me you're talking about the J.J. Abrahms one.
haha I enjoyed Star Trek for the entertainment value of it, but I agree with you Serentity was amazing!

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
You don't show the audience the answers to things and then have the characters ask questions for verbal confirmation of said answers. We are smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure out things like why women can't give birth and why the island is hidden.
The thing is - yes, we the audience have had some of those questions at least partially answered (mostly in Ab Aeterno and Across the Sea).  Neither Jack, Hurley, Kate or Sawyer have ever had that information conveyed to them.  So I'd think real people in that situation would ask Jacob those sorts of questions, and for our sake I wish that they did so that the writers would give us better, more meaningful, less ambiguous answers than they have.
[/quote]

Thats what I meant by this statement of mine up there. The writers showed the audience the answers. If they were to follow it up with scenes of our characters being told the answers we were already shown, everyone would be on here the next day griping about how horrible the episode was for telling us things we already know, OR they would be on here debating whether or not the truth was being told.  I am convinced that some people are not going to be happy unless Dr. Chang comes out with a giant book and starts reading us answers to all of our questions.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »
I really like all you guys on here and look forward to coming on here to chat about the episodes, but people's blatant disregard for answers we have been given is kind of taxing.

The Island is the source of all the good in the world.
The Monster is everything evil and dark (Opposite of what the Light is) manifested into physical form.
Jacob is just a man who was given the role of Protector without given a choice.
The Island is hidden to protect it from people seeking it out for the Light contained at its center.
Once again, the Light is all that is good in the world. It is the source. If it goes out, as does the rest of the good in the world.

....We are smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure out things like why women can't give birth and why the island is hidden.

Apparently I'm not smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure these things out, because I still have no idea why women can't give birth.  And while I'll give you that all your ideas about what the light is and what Smokey is and why the island is hidden and all that are possibilities, I still do not see where we have been shown that definitively.  It still seems like speculation to me.  And maybe that's all we're gonna get, I don't know.  But I don't see it as "blatant disregard for answers we've been given" because if those are supposed to be the answers, well, then, they're apparently just not clear enough for a lot of us.

I still say he didn't answer what they died for.

He deffinitely did answer this question by telling them everything else. He told them that all of the names of the people were candidates to be the next protector of the island, and all of what they have done and gone through was an effort to fix their flaws and make them "protector worthy".

Still don't see this.  The question posed to Jacob was what did Sun and Jin and Sayid die for, I believe.  So the answer is "They had to die to fix their flaws and make them protector-worthy?"  That doesn't make sense to me.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »
I really like all you guys on here and look forward to coming on here to chat about the episodes, but people's blatant disregard for answers we have been given is kind of taxing.

The Island is the source of all the good in the world.
The Monster is everything evil and dark (Opposite of what the Light is) manifested into physical form.
Jacob is just a man who was given the role of Protector without given a choice.
The Island is hidden to protect it from people seeking it out for the Light contained at its center.
Once again, the Light is all that is good in the world. It is the source. If it goes out, as does the rest of the good in the world.

....We are smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure out things like why women can't give birth and why the island is hidden.

Apparently I'm not smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure these things out, because I still have no idea why women can't give birth.  And while I'll give you that all your ideas about what the light is and what Smokey is and why the island is hidden and all that are possibilities, I still do not see where we have been shown that definitively.  It still seems like speculation to me.  And maybe that's all we're gonna get, I don't know.  But I don't see it as "blatant disregard for answers we've been given" because if those are supposed to be the answers, well, then, they're apparently just not clear enough for a lot of us.

You are right. They are absolutely not going to sit us down and tell us word for word what most of these answers are, and I am glad they aren't can you imagine how boring that would get? After the first few answers we would be happy, but after a while we'd get pretty bored. Also, remember when they did the flash back with Adam and Eve? Remember how some people thought that was overkill? Imagine a whole episode like that where we are being treated like children and having our hands held through answers.

I'll give this a shot. Does the Protector of the Island feel that the Island needs to be protected?    Yes
Does the Protector seem to have the power to make certain things like immortality, and other impossibilities, into reality?  Yes
Would Making and Island invisible fall into this "Impossible" characterization? Yes
Would it stand to reason that the Protector could make an island invisible to everyone? Yes
Would making and Island Invisible make it much more difficult for people to reach it? Yes
In the event that someone should happen upon the Island by accident, would it be a benefit to keep people from establishing a society? Yes
Would making it so women cannot carry a child full term accomplish that goal?  Yes
Would that fall under one of those things that the protector might be able to make a reality?  Yes

Now I will admit these are deductions I have made based on things we have seen, and will acquiesce that it is just a possibility, but I guess what I am wondering is if people really want the writers to address our questions in this manner. I think an episode thatwent through a discussion like this would suck, but who knows, maybe everyone loved that scene in Matrix 2 with the Archetecht.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 10:16:03 AM »
...I guess what I am wondering is if people really want the writers to address our questions in this manner. I think an episode that went through a discussion like this would suck, but who knows, maybe everyone loved that scene in Matrix 2 with the Archetecht.

So, good possibilities.  And yes, I really do want the writers to address our questions in (a similar) manner.  I think there is a way to do it without "hand-holding" as you call it, or talking down to us.  (I never saw any of the Matrix stuff, so I don't know about that.) 

The Adam-and-Eve question was handled, I think, in a really good way with the exception of throwing that final flashback scene in there.  That was the part that felt like hand-holding.  The rest of it was fine.  And satisfying.  (Except that if that was all that we were supposed to get out of that entire 42 minutes, then I felt like they wasted some opportunity there.  They could've answered a few more questions while they were at it.) 

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »
...I guess what I am wondering is if people really want the writers to address our questions in this manner. I think an episode that went through a discussion like this would suck, but who knows, maybe everyone loved that scene in Matrix 2 with the Archetecht.

So, good possibilities.  And yes, I really do want the writers to address our questions in (a similar) manner.  I think there is a way to do it without "hand-holding" as you call it, or talking down to us.  (I never saw any of the Matrix stuff, so I don't know about that.) 

The Adam-and-Eve question was handled, I think, in a really good way with the exception of throwing that final flashback scene in there.  That was the part that felt like hand-holding.  The rest of it was fine.  And satisfying.  (Except that if that was all that we were supposed to get out of that entire 42 minutes, then I felt like they wasted some opportunity there.  They could've answered a few more questions while they were at it.) 

Okay too fill you in on the Matrix reference there was a catalyst scenen in the second film where Neo (Keanu) comes into this room filled with TV monitors. and an old dude in a chair. The Jacob of the Matrix if you will. He proceeds to explain pretty much everything about why things are happening the way they are. Problem is, it is a very complex answer, much like most of the answers we are looking for in Lost. When they just give us answers (Light, Rules, etc.) we pick them apart and doubt them. When the show us answers blatantly, so there is no room for interpretation (Adam and Eve) we gripe that it is TOO blantant and hand holding. Evident by the parenthesis there about A&E in your post. You thought THAT was the only answer in the 42 minutes. Now I can go into depths on other questions that were answered, just less subtleysp but I won't because I get tired of pointing things out to blind eyes sometimes. You can't have it both ways.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »

He deffinitely did answer this question by telling them everything else. He told them that all of the names of the people were candidates to be the next protector of the island, and all of what they have done and gone through was an effort to fix their flaws and make them "protector worthy".

Still don't see this.  The question posed to Jacob was what did Sun and Jin and Sayid die for, I believe.  So the answer is "They had to die to fix their flaws and make them protector-worthy?"  That doesn't make sense to me.

You're close, the answer is that they died trying to (unknowingly) prove they were worthy of protecting the island. I personally think that Jacob really screwed the pooch picking them, because neither one of them really had any desire to stay on the island. Except for Sun who had that little run of time (I forget in what season) where she wanted to NOT GO HOME, but that doesn't mean she wanted to stay on the island.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 08:44:21 AM »
When they just give us answers (Light, Rules, etc.) we pick them apart and doubt them. When the show us answers blatantly, so there is no room for interpretation (Adam and Eve) we gripe that it is TOO blantant and hand holding.  Evident by the parenthesis there about A&E in your post. You thought THAT was the only answer in the 42 minutes. Now I can go into depths on other questions that were answered, just less subtleysp but I won't because I get tired of pointing things out to blind eyes sometimes. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, I do think that the A&E was pretty much the only big question that was answered definitively for us in that 42 minutes.  I am aware that there were some other questions that were answered in the way you like them answered (nebulous and half-way so that you can make up your own answers to fit) but that doesn't get it for me personally.  If that makes my eyes blind then so be it.  And no, you don't have to go into all those "subtly-answered questions" again here because I've read them elsewhere and addressed them elsewhere.  And yes, I understand that possibly in the finale some things will be revealed that will make those nebulous things more definitive -- I am really looking forward to that possibility.  We just have to agree to disagree, I suppose, because we obviously appreciate different skills in TV writing -- I want them to write it so they answer questions and tie up loose ends in a manner that is still creative and respectful of our intelligence, and you appear to want them to leave it open to interpretation so that you can insert your own creativity.  You feel my way "sucks," and I feel your way would be frustrating (for me.)  We're just different.  If all we get is "The Light is the Source of all that is Good and Wonderful in the Universe, and it must be protected at all costs, and that's all you need to know for the purposes of our characters' stories" then, well, so be it.  I will be disappointed, but do I still love "Lost"?  You betcha.  Based on some interviews I've read with TPTB, you're more likely to be satisfied in the end, I suspect, so there you go -- you win!  How's that?  ;)

And you will never hear me gripe about anything being too blatant -- at this point I will take all the blatant I can get.  (The A&E flashback - my problem with it was that it was taking up valuable screen-time, that's all.  With so few precious minutes left, I didn't see the need to re-play something we've all seen already anyway.) 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:21:23 AM by Madam P »

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »

You're close, the answer is that they died trying to (unknowingly) prove they were worthy of protecting the island. I personally think that Jacob really screwed the pooch picking them, because neither one of them really had any desire to stay on the island. Except for Sun who had that little run of time (I forget in what season) where she wanted to NOT GO HOME, but that doesn't mean she wanted to stay on the island.

OK, I get you, I think.  It's looking at the "What They Died For" question in two different ways -- was it "What Was the Universe-Altering-Deep-Meaning Which Required Their Death For Its Sustainability" (as in, it was a sacrifice for some reason or whatever) vs. "This is just the reason they died" (as in, they were trying to prove themselves and they weren't worthy so they died.) Gotcha.   Subtle difference, but I'm not blind, so I get it.   ;)  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:58:04 AM by Madam P »