Author Topic: 20 questions with Jacob....  (Read 4478 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
20 questions with Jacob....
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:49 AM »
After 3+ years since the 815 crashed, and all that time wondering what the hell the island is, our heroes finally get a chance to ask Jacob wassup, and the best they can do is:

Hurkey:  Why you brought us to the island?
Sawyer:  What mistake?
Sawyer:   Why do I gotta be punished for your mistake?  What makes you think you can mess with my life?
Kate:  Why did you cross my name off of your wall?
Jack:  What is the job?
Jack:  You want us to kill him?
Jack:  Is that even possible?
Hurley:  So, how you gonna pick?
Kate:  And if none of us chooses it?

Man, sometimes I wonder if the writers really are capable of putting themselves into the shoes of these characters.  How about:

What is the island?
What is the monster?
What on earth are you?
Why is the island hidden?
What is this light your babbling about, etc?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: 20 questions with Jacob....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:58:53 AM »
Didn't we, the audience, kind of get some of those answers already...you know what. Nevermind. I know I'll get crap for this, so I'll stop right here.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
I still say he didn't answer what they died for.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
I'm waiting for work to get over so I can go home and rewatch because I don't think Jacob really explained what they died for either.

We did find out that Jacob doesn't want any more mothers and children separated, so I guess he somehow "banned" childbirth on the island? He took Kate off the candidate list once she became Aaron's "mother." I guess he must have told the psychic to tell Claire to never let anyone else raise her baby for the same reason?

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
I'm waiting for work to get over so I can go home and rewatch because I don't think Jacob really explained what they died for either.

We did find out that Jacob doesn't want any more mothers and children separated, so I guess he somehow "banned" childbirth on the island? He took Kate off the candidate list once she became Aaron's "mother." I guess he must have told the psychic to tell Claire to never let anyone else raise her baby for the same reason?

Nice tie-in to the psychic and Claire.  Well done!

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »

Man, sometimes I wonder if the writers really are capable of putting themselves into the shoes of these characters.  How about:

What is the island?
What is the monster?
What on earth are you?

I really like all you guys on here and look forward to coming on here to chat about the episodes, but people's blatant disregard for answers we have been given is kind of taxing.

The Island is the source of all the good in the world.
The Monster is everything evil and dark (Opposite of what the Light is) manifested into physical form.
Jacob is just a man who was given the role of Protector without given a choice.
The Island is hidden to protect it from people seeking it out for the Light contained at its center.
Once again, the Light is all that is good in the world. It is the source. If it goes out, as does the rest of the good in the world.

I get that some people want to havedefinative answers to some of these, and feel we haven't gotten them yet, but the writers are not here to baby us. They never have. How awesome would it be if they came out and said.

The Island was formed by a volcanic eruption in prehistoric times and formed around the Garden of Eden. The Monster is the soul of a fallen character. Jacob is....mid sentence I needed to stop, because I am trying to be sarcastic about "What if they DID flat out tell us some of these answers" and then I realize they pretty much have. If people are wanting the Characters to ask these questions for the audience to hear the answers (Again) that is not a smart way of writing. You don't show the audience the answers to things and then have the characters ask questions for verbal confirmation of said answers. We are smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure out things like why women can't give birth and why the island is hidden.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
I still say he didn't answer what they died for.

He deffinitely did answer this question by telling them everything else. He told them that all of the names of the people were candidates to be the next protector of the island, and all of what they have done and gone through was an effort to fix their flaws and make them "protector worthy".

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »
Agreed. And as to the candidates not asking all the questions you think they needed the answer to-well, they were sitting around the campfire for quite awhile and I am sure they were filled in on everything.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
The Monster is everything evil and dark (Opposite of what the Light is) manifested into physical form.

This is speculative.

First, I want to say that the cross examination at the campfire DID reveal important information.

For one, being marked off the list doesn't mean you were killed or somehow failed (necessarily).  Jacob crossed out Kate because she was a mom and would therefore be reluctant to take on the role of Benevolent Dictator For Life.

Also, they were brought to The Island because they were flawed and would therefore be more likely to take on the role. 

What more important question is there than "Why are we here?"

I don't think Jacob knows anything more about the smoke monster than we, or the characters present at the campfire, know.  Nor does he know about the origin of The Island.  This goes toward explaining the previous episode to those people who were so disappointed with its lack of revelation.  Rather than present some vast origin story where the aliens come down or Atlantis or some B.S. that would be unacceptable, they just leave it a mystery for both the audience and the most informed character, Jacob.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »

This is speculative.

First, I want to say that the cross examination at the campfire DID reveal important information.

For one, being marked off the list doesn't mean you were killed or somehow failed (necessarily).  Jacob crossed out Kate because she was a mom and would therefore be reluctant to take on the role of Benevolent Dictator For Life.

Also, they were brought to The Island because they were flawed and would therefore be more likely to take on the role. 

What more important question is there than "Why are we here?"

I don't think Jacob knows anything more about the smoke monster than we, or the characters present at the campfire, know.  Nor does he know about the origin of The Island.  This goes toward explaining the previous episode to those people who were so disappointed with its lack of revelation.   Rather than present some vast origin story where the aliens come down or Atlantis or some B.S. that would be unacceptable, they just leave it a mystery for both the audience and the most informed character, Jacob.

I guess it is a metaphor for how life began on here on earth. TPTB are leaving it up to the audience to solve. It is a question that cannot be answered to make everyone happy.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
Yes.  Rather than give a dissatisfying explanation, leave it to the individual viewer to speculate.

Like song lyrics.  It usually sucks when the author explains their meaning, compared to what I THOUGHT they meant.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
Agreed. And as to the candidates not asking all the questions you think they needed the answer to-well, they were sitting around the campfire for quite awhile and I am sure they were filled in on everything.

My friends and I were waiting for the show to come back from commercial and have everyone just nodding their head and saying to each other, "Oooooooooh, of course so then that means..." "EXACTLY!! That's why he had to use Locke's body, AND why the Dharma initiative was here." "It all make sense now. Thanks for that Jacob."

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »

What is the island?
What is the monster?
What on earth are you?

I really like all you guys on here and look forward to coming on here to chat about the episodes, but people's blatant disregard for answers we have been given is kind of taxing.

The Island is the source of all the good in the world.
Jacob is just a man who was given the role of Protector without given a choice.
The Island is hidden to protect it from people seeking it out for the Light contained at its center.
Once again, the Light is all that is good in the world. It is the source. If it goes out, as does the rest of the good in the world.

I get that some people want to havedefinative answers to some of these, and feel we haven't gotten them yet, but the writers are not here to baby us. They never have. How awesome would it be if they came out and said.

The Island was formed by a volcanic eruption in prehistoric times and formed around the Garden of Eden. The Monster is the soul of a fallen character. Jacob is....mid sentence I needed to stop, because I am trying to be sarcastic about "What if they DID flat out tell us some of these answers" and then I realize they pretty much have. If people are wanting the Characters to ask these questions for the audience to hear the answers (Again) that is not a smart way of writing. You don't show the audience the answers to things and then have the characters ask questions for verbal confirmation of said answers. We are smart enough to use basic critical thinking to figure out things like why women can't give birth and why the island is hidden.
The thing is - yes, we the audience have had some of those questions at least partially answered (mostly in Ab Aeterno and Across the Sea).  Neither Jack, Hurley, Kate or Sawyer have ever had that information conveyed to them.  So I'd think real people in that situation would ask Jacob those sorts of questions, and for our sake I wish that they did so that the writers would give us better, more meaningful, less ambiguous answers than they have.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »
I guess it is a metaphor for how life began on here on earth. TPTB are leaving it up to the audience to solve. It is a question that cannot be answered to make everyone happy.

Rather than present some vast origin story where the aliens come down or Atlantis or some B.S. that would be unacceptable, they just leave it a mystery for both the audience and the most informed character, Jacob.

I agree.  I've heard TPTB say they were going to answer the questions that are important to the characters, but not all the mysteries of the island, and I've been preparing myself to be disappointed with the ending.  But you've made me feel a whole lot better, even BEFORE the finale airs.  I've been basing my theories from a Christian point of view and I've taken some hits from non-Christians and atheists along the way.  Now I understand that the writers can still put together a great ending for these characters without actually saying 'the island is this' or 'the island is that'.  The island can be Atlantis for some, the Garden of Eden for others, or an alien spacecraft for all we know.  The point is, jacob doesn't even know what the island is.  We only know that the heart of the island is the source of all life, death and rebirth and needs to be protected from weak-minded people who would choose to abuse it's power.  If it isn't protected, the light will go out and all life will end.  That's all we need to know for this story to be completed.  The actual origin of the island is a whole other story in itself that has nothing to do with flight 815.  Which brings up another possibility.  TPTB have said there won't be any movies or sequels to LOST.  They DIDN'T say there wouldn't be a movie about the creation of a mysterious island of light.  They could call it 'Episode One: in The Beginning'!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »

Rather than present some vast origin story where the aliens come down or Atlantis or some B.S. that would be unacceptable, they just leave it a mystery for both the audience and the most informed character, Jacob.

I agree.  I've heard TPTB say they were going to answer the questions that are important to the characters, but not all the mysteries of the island, and I've been preparing myself to be disappointed with the ending.  But you've made me feel a whole lot better, even BEFORE the finale airs.  I've been basing my theories from a Christian point of view and I've taken some hits from non-Christians and atheists along the way.  Now I understand that the writers can still put together a great ending for these characters without actually saying 'the island is this' or 'the island is that'.  The island can be Atlantis for some, the Garden of Eden for others, or an alien spacecraft for all we know.  The point is, jacob doesn't even know what the island is.  We only know that the heart of the island is the source of all life, death and rebirth and needs to be protected from weak-minded people who would choose to abuse it's power.  If it isn't protected, the light will go out and all life will end.  That's all we need to know for this story to be completed.  The actual origin of the island is a whole other story in itself that has nothing to do with flight 815.  Which brings up another possibility.  TPTB have said there won't be any movies or sequels to LOST.  They DIDN'T say there wouldn't be a movie about the creation of a mysterious island of light.  They could call it 'Episode One: in The Beginning'!

Oh dear lord, I hope they don't make a cinematic abortion about LOST. Doesn't anyone remember the mistakes they made with the X-files movies?? I know that occasionally they do get it right when they do the movie thing to TV shows (Serentity for Firefly is the main example I have), but more often they screw everything up because they have this big budget and just make the show seem tacky.