Author Topic: Jack will fix Locke in ATL....  (Read 1909 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Jack will fix Locke in ATL....
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
First, island occurences have bled over into the ATL, but we have yet to see anything from the ATL affect the island. 

Second, I don't think the goal in the ATL is going to be preventing the happenings on the island from happening again.  I think the ultimate goal is to stop Smokie on the island, possibly by sinking it, end of that story.  Meanwhile, Desmond is working to bring everybody's consciousness from the island into the ATL so that they can go on with their lives aware of what they had been through.

In other words, I think once MIB is defeated, it is indeed ended and once the island is sunk, it will no longer need protecting (the light won't go out because the power is in the light and the water together).  But if the characters went on in the ATL with no memories of the island, that would be a frustrating ending for the viewers, almost as if they did indeed all die.  However, if Desmond is successful, they will be able to merge with their island lives and retain both, almost as if they had never died on the island.  Life, death and rebirth.

I get this LF, but the question I have about this whole situation that I didn't want to ask too early for fear of a flooding of comments from people. Why is the Offisland timeline 3 years in the past, and what would make that happen??

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
As soon as Locke said he was ready to get out of that chair and Jack said okay I got a nervous feeling that something would go wrong during the operation and Locke would end up dying.  I really hope not.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
First, island occurences have bled over into the ATL, but we have yet to see anything from the ATL affect the island. 

Second, I don't think the goal in the ATL is going to be preventing the happenings on the island from happening again.  I think the ultimate goal is to stop Smokie on the island, possibly by sinking it, end of that story.  Meanwhile, Desmond is working to bring everybody's consciousness from the island into the ATL so that they can go on with their lives aware of what they had been through.

In other words, I think once MIB is defeated, it is indeed ended and once the island is sunk, it will no longer need protecting (the light won't go out because the power is in the light and the water together).  But if the characters went on in the ATL with no memories of the island, that would be a frustrating ending for the viewers, almost as if they did indeed all die.  However, if Desmond is successful, they will be able to merge with their island lives and retain both, almost as if they had never died on the island.  Life, death and rebirth.

I get this LF, but the question I have about this whole situation that I didn't want to ask too early for fear of a flooding of comments from people. Why is the Offisland timeline 3 years in the past, and what would make that happen??

Yeah, I'm still hoping that we'll see how the ATL 'broke off' from the 'reality' we've known for the past six years.  We started seeing it at the point of the 815 flight because we were meant to think that the bomb reset things from the point that the plane DIDN'T crash.  But then we were shown that Jack now has a teenage son at that point, so we were then meant to consider that the past was changed from 1977 when the bomb actually went off.  I'm not sure yet, but I think the actual split in the timelines will be the major series-ending 'reveal'.  The ATL is the result of the end of the battle.  I just hope they give us an idea of how it comes to be and that they don't just leave it up to us to theorize.