Author Topic: Jack wins the election!  (Read 2421 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Jack wins the election!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »
Funny how in the Sideways world they are both now Men of Faith - now that Locke believes he is supposed to be fixed.  It was kind of nice seeing the "real" John Locke back (you know, the Man of Faith).  I've missed him.

How is Alt Jack a man of faith? Didn't he say to Locke not to confuse coincidence with fate?

Right, he isn't quite there yet in the ATL.  He is more confident in himself than the original Jack, but still hasn't taken the leap.  He needs a little more time and Desmond to knock him in the head a little and he'll come around.  He'll get a huge push when Desmond holds an island reunion at David's concert that night!  ;)

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I was a little disappointed in Jacob's process. "Ok, who wants to do this?"
I get the whole thing of him giving them a choice (because he didn't have one), but still, it was pretty predictable that it was going to be Jack.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
I was so waiting for Ben to show up and kill Jack just before they finished, that would have been a surprise ending we all would have been talking about for months.

LOL I was thinking the same thing too. I was half expecting a tentacle of black smoke to knock the cup out of Jack's hands.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
So if Jacob didn't really know who was going to wind up being his replacement . . .

but Jack still says, "This is what I'm supposed to do" . . .

Then, is there some higher power -- The Island? -- that is directing Fate?

In this scene, even Jacob seems to be a Free Will guy, but Jack is acting like there's something beyond his free will that is direction his "choice".

------

I'm still confused about what message TPTB intend for their story.  (And I'm hoping it's not a copout, "everyone can draw their own conclusions as they see fit")  That would be weak.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
I'm still confused about what message TPTB intend for their story.  (And I'm hoping it's not a copout, "everyone can draw their own conclusions as they see fit")  That would be weak.

I'm afraid you might be right about this, I've heard TPTB say there will be a definite end with no chance of a continuation, but that it may not be perfectly clear what the end means and that the viewers will have different opinions about it.  So rest assured that at least you have the 'free will' to decide for yourself whether it's weak or not!  They can't take that away from us!  ;)

Offline saltwater

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »
As this season went on I thought it would be Jack who would take the torch from Jacob and had this vision of him siting on the island in that cave with a staff in his hand like some little king, But Jacob said to Jack you have to defeat Flocke to protect the island and that got me wondering that if even if Jack defeats Locke, that might be it,  his reign may be short lived, The island may still sink, everyone will die but they all live happily ever after in the Alt world..

The big flaw in that would be why Desmond would be going around hitting people and running them over trying to get them to remember, what would be the point.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »
As this season went on I thought it would be Jack who would take the torch from Jacob and had this vision of him siting on the island in that cave with a staff in his hand like some little king, But Jacob said to Jack you have to defeat Flocke to protect the island and that got me wondering that if even if Jack defeats Locke, that might be it,  his reign may be short lived, The island may still sink, everyone will die but they all live happily ever after in the Alt world..

The big flaw in that would be why Desmond would be going around hitting people and running them over trying to get them to remember, what would be the point.

The point of Desmond's crusade is that if everyone dies on the island, but get to live on in the ATL with no memory of what happened, it would seem to the audience as if the past six years didn't even matter.  In order for it to be an emotionally satisfying ending, they have to survive their ordeal with their memories intact.  Otherwise, they may as well have Kate wake up the next morning and find Patrick Duffy as Bobby Ewing taking a shower in her bathroom...."It was all a dream....."!!!   ;D