Author Topic: The Rules of the game....  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
The Rules of the game....
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:26:45 PM »
http://wesheb.tdonnelly.org/esenet2.html

That is a link to a page with the rules of Senet, the game MIB found on the beach and the game that's been featured in Lost.  I've read through and thought there might be some similarities between the game and the happenings of Lost.  Have a peak and see if something jumps out at you. 

"#5.  A piece forced into the water loses any remaining throws. Once in the House of the Waters, a piece can't be moved. To reactivate the piece, the player must either throw a 4, or move the piece to Square 15 (right above Square 26) and lose a turn. A player may try for a throw of 4 as often as they wish, but they get only one try per turn. If they give up after repeated tries, they can move to Square 15 on their next turn."

I thought this part was interesting, just not sure if it has anything to do with Lost.

"Senet is played on a board of 30 squares arranged in 3 rows of 10 each. Each player has 5 pieces (some games use 7). Counting sticks are thrown to determine moves. The object of the game is to be the first to carry all your pieces off the board, while hindering your opponent by either blocking his way or sending his pieces back to earlier squares."

This was pretty eye opening for me.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules of the game....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
"#5.  A piece forced into the water loses any remaining throws. Once in the House of the Waters, a piece can't be moved. To reactivate the piece, the player must either throw a 4, or move the piece to Square 15 (right above Square 26) and lose a turn. A player may try for a throw of 4 as often as they wish, but they get only one try per turn. If they give up after repeated tries, they can move to Square 15 on their next turn."

Four!! Fifteen!! The numbers!! lol

By the way, who were #4 and #15 on the lighthouse wheel? Anyone remember?

Offline fan of Sawyer nicknames

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »
4 was Locke, and 15 was Sawyer (Ford)

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
So much Egyptian influence...the statue, the symbols on the hatch countdown clock, and this too. You got me thinking......

I found this on another site:

The House of Rebirth - the starting square and the square pawns return to when landing on The House of Water. Didn't a character say something like everyone starts all over on the island? Or could this mean the well inside the temple where some (Lil Ben, Sayid) were reborn?

The House of Happiness - all pawns finish a move here, even if they threw enough to move past it. Would it be safe to say that each Candidate had some moments of happiness on the island? Hmmmm

The House of Water - any pawn finishing a move on this square must go back to The House of Rebirth. Can't leave by water (unless you know the super sekret headings) you just keep coming back to the island. (Back to the House of Rebirth)

House of the Three Truths - a pawn landing here may only leave the board if a three is thrown. This would be interesting to explore. Have all the candidates come to terms with some truths, let alone three each?

House of Re-Atoum - a pawn landing here may only leave the board if a two is thrown. Re = source of light, Atoum was an Egyptian god whose name means "He who is and is not" and who was associated with the sun.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
Wow! This is a really good find!

I wonder if there really is something special about this game in relation to the "game" and "rules" set up by Jacob and MIB (and their "fake mother"). The game is Egyptian and has a lot to do with numbers. Why assign each candidate to a specific number?

Very interesting...!