Author Topic: Answers to The Statue and Fertility...You're Welcome  (Read 1542 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Answers to The Statue and Fertility...You're Welcome
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »
So I kept reading about how alot of people were having trouble with the Fertility issues not being answered along with why the Statue was built. So I used a skill I have. I posted this in another thread, but I am pretty cocky  ;D  So I thought it could use its own thread.

Here's the thing with the fertility issue. I have a feeling this is an instance where we are going to need to use our critical thinking skills we practice so fequently when dealing with this show. What if they have NEVER been able to concieve and carry a child on the island. I think the answer to the fertility question has been staring us in the face all series. We KNOW Ethan was born on the island apparently before people lost the ability to carry a baby full term on the island, and that seems to put a wrench in that, but what if Ethan was concieved off island like Aaron was. I believe we are told at some time during the season that apparently at one time the ability to carry full term was just lost, but what if that time was just after people were no longer brought to the island. This also ties in to the statue. (This is making a whole lot of sense to me) The statue was erected to the Egyptian goddess of fertility right? Maybe it was erected to appeasse her as the builder's people were having trouble having children. It stands to reason that if the Light needs to be protected, that as a Protector of it, you would want to make it so that a long lasting society cannot be built up. And if people are going to inevitably find their way to the Island by accident sometimes, What's the best way to prevent them from establishing a long lasting society? Not let fetuses carry to full term would work.

You're welcome. I just tied up The Reason for the Statue, Why Aaron is important to the mythology (Maybe not as important as people wanted, but just a link to the fertility issue), AND the fertility issue.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Answers to The Statue and Fertility...You're Welcome
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »
yeah but when Ethan was being born someone (I forget who) said that the women always go to the mainland to have their babies.  So this implies that other women have had babies, so they must be conceiving them and carrying them to term on the island.  I find it hard to believe that every pregnant women just happened to get pregnant by chance off the island.  It's also unlikely that they sent them off island specifically to get pregnant.  Good theory but I don't think it works unless it's just an inconsistency.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
yeah but when Ethan was being born someone (I forget who) said that the women always go to the mainland to have their babies.  So this implies that other women have had babies, so they must be conceiving them and carrying them to term on the island.  I find it hard to believe that every pregnant women just happened to get pregnant by chance off the island.  It's also unlikely that they sent them off island specifically to get pregnant.  Good theory but I don't think it works unless it's just an inconsistency.

I'll have to watch that episode again, because I don't remember the line. Also that kind of reinforces the theory if nothing else. I don't think that they would let mothers carry to their last week and then ship them off to the mainland, what with knocking them out for a sub trip and whatnot. I don't even assume that all the pregnancies happen "By Chance" off the island. I think there is a chance that Dharma targeted families, or expectant mothers to have them repopulate the Dharma Initiative. Take Ben and his dad for example, They recruited him to be a "Work Man". Is it reasonable to presume that they actually recruited Ben more than his father. They needed children.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
I feel like it is in MiB's interest to prevent babies from being born there.

If another Shepherd is born to Christian, that's another Candidate (Shepherd was crossed off the list and added back) for MiB to deal with.

This would also explain why Claire "has to raise the child herself", so that another Littleton could be a potential Candidate instead of being given up for adoption.

MiB is also bitter because his mother was killed and he was raised by another.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »

I'll have to watch that episode again, because I don't remember the line. Also that kind of reinforces the theory if nothing else. I don't think that they would let mothers carry to their last week and then ship them off to the mainland, what with knocking them out for a sub trip and whatnot. I don't even assume that all the pregnancies happen "By Chance" off the island. I think there is a chance that Dharma targeted families, or expectant mothers to have them repopulate the Dharma Initiative. Take Ben and his dad for example, They recruited him to be a "Work Man". Is it reasonable to presume that they actually recruited Ben more than his father. They needed children.

I think the reason was that there was no obstetrician on the island who was qualified to deliver babies...but I could be wrong.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »

I think the reason was that there was no obstetrician on the island who was qualified to deliver babies...but I could be wrong.

Yeah that could be the case. Which would also explain why it wasn't until Ben started blocking people from leaving that the babies started dying mid term.

Also Creflo, I think that the "No Babies" rule was in place before Smokey was ever created. I think that is what caused the statue to be built by a group of Egyptians that crashed on the island and were having trouble delivering babies.