Author Topic: Attempting To Answer My Own "Lost" Questions LOL  (Read 613 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Attempting To Answer My Own "Lost" Questions LOL
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
Ok, I've asked a lot of questions this season, so I'm gonna try and answer them somewhat logically:

Q: Why did Widmore want Ben and sent the mercenaries out to get him? Seems that now Widmore's only desire is to keep Smokie/MiB/Whichever from leaving the island.

A: Well, what if Widmore somehow "knows" the events of the future? He WAS married (or involved, anyway) with Eloise, who we know does know the events of the future. And remember when Desmond was trying to find Daniel's mother after he got off the island and was talking to Widmore? Widmore said something to him like "Go deliver your message" to Eloise, even though Des never mentioned wanting to deliver a message. Screw up in the script? Or was that a sign that Widmore already knew ahead of time that Desmond was going to seek out Eloise and give her Daniel's message?

Well, if we do believe that Widmore has some insight into the future, that might help explain why he wanted Ben: because Ben was going to end up killing BOTH Locke and Jacob, and without either one dead MiB can't do his thing. Remember, Widmore met Locke at the "entry point" after turning the donkey wheel (how did he know Locke would be there? Eloise again?), and told Locke that he was going to make sure he didn't die (Locke told Widmore he was supposed to die). So if Widmore DID know in advance all the crap Ben was going to cause though his actions, I can see a possibility of Widmore constantly trying to find the island before Ben can do his damage. Also remember this:

From "The Shape Of Things To Come":

BEN: Iraq is lovely this time of year. When did you start sleeping with a bottle of scotch by the bed?

WIDMORE: When the nightmares started.

Widmore kept that scotch by his bed, and he said he did so ever since having the nightmares. Maybe those nightmares were due to knowing what will happen if MiB/Smokie/Whatever ends up leaving the island.

Q: Is Smokie Jacob's brother? Or rather, is Jacob's brother now Smokie?

A: Nope. Smokie is no more Jacob's brother than he is Locke. One slightly interesting exchange from I think season 3, was this one:

From "The Cost Of Living":

EKO: Yemi!

[Yemi turns around and heads out through the jungle.]

EKO: Wait! Yemi!

[Eko goes after Yemi, who has disappeared.]

EKO: Yemi! You say you want to hear my confession! Why? Why now, eh? Show yourself! Where are you! Where!

[Yemi appears across from Eko in a field of waist-high plants with red flowers. Eko walks over to him.]

YEMI: Are you ready, Eko?

EKO: Yes. I am ready, Yemi.

[Eko pulls out the cross and raises it. Yemi reaches out to caress it but does not take it.]

EKO: I ask for no forgiveness, Father. For I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive.

[Yemi lets his hand fall from the cross and Eko lowers it.]

EKO: A small boy once asked me if I was a bad man. If I could answer him now, I would tell him that... when I was a young boy, I killed a man to save my brother's life. I am not sorry for this. I am proud of this!

[Eko drops to his knees in front of Yemi and spreads his arms out.]

EKO: I did not ask for the life that I was given. But it was given, nonetheless. And with it... I did my best.

[Yemi stares down into Eko's eyes. He looks angry.]

YEMI: [Almost in disgust] You speak to me as if I were your brother.

[Eko cringes back from him, scared and angry.]

EKO: Who are you?

Now, it would be cool if MiB said to Jacob at some point "You speak to me as if I am your brother" lol :D...but I thought it at least mildly interesting that we are wondering whether or not Smokie is Jacob's brother, and yet 3 seasons ago Smokie was basically telling us that he's not what he physically appears to be, he's never what he physically appears to be. I know that in the context of the transcript above, "Yemi's" comment could sound like he's disowning Eko as his brother for not being repentant. And that very well may be true, but I think it also serves a dual purpose: to both show fake Yemi's disgust in Eko and to say pretty bluntly "I'm not your brother"...and Eko's question immediately afterwards--"Who are you?"--shows that Eko at that point realized that whatever it was that was standing in front of him, was definitely NOT Yemi...in fact, it seemed to scare him quite a bit.

So, for now anyway, I'm going on the belief that MiB was merely Smokie taking the form of Jacob's brother, and using what it "scanned" of Jacob's brother's memories and character and using it for its own manipulative purposes. And let's face it, he's done it over and over again (appearing as Alex to Ben, for instance). And am I the only one who thinks it's possible that Smokie didn't appear as Christian in order to lead Jack back to the caves for fresh water, but instead lead him there so that he would find "His" body and his mother's body? Now why he would WANT to do that, I don't know lol.

Q: Who and what are the Others?

A: They're a creation of Richard. I'm pretty sure Jacob didn't have any followers until he decided to "hire" Richard and give him eternal life (or at least age him incredibly slowly). Richard, in turn, tried to get those who crashed onto the island to believe in and start following Jacob's philosophy. And after seeing what Jacob experienced growing up on the island--isolation, fear of outsiders, his brother going to the other side (no pun intended lol), his mother and brother's belief that all humans are greedy, destructive, violent and selfish...perhaps Jacob felt a need to reform and convert the humans who did find their way onto the island from "across the sea". Of course, the reality that Jacob himself (along with his fake mom) is DEFINITELY violent himself is ironic, to say the least. But, hey, as Ben constantly said, "We're the good guys". Quite the rationalization.

Not to mention Richard was probably pretty lonely lol. He would have preferred having others (again no pun intended) to talk to, interact with, etc, etc. I can't imagine walking around the jungle alone for all eternity would be considered much fun. Now, how he got them to believe in Jacob and live by his life philosophy, I have no clue whatsoever. Right now I'm just taking the Others as being, in addition to Richard's creation, a symbol of organized religion and how it has its tenets and dogma, and how organized religions throughout history have used violence against people "In God's/Allah's/Mother Nature's/Pick A Diety's name", and the Others are doing so in Jacob's name. Especially when someone claims to speak for that diety as Ben claimed to do.

Q: Why didn't Jacob (or his fake mom, for that matter) just kill all the people who shipwrecked onto the island instead of letting them live there for decades, THEN killing them all when they felt the need?

A: My guess is that it's biblical in nature. The Bible has its share of moments where God apparently decided that "Enough's enough", and either destroys a city or country, or the entire world in case of Noah and the ark lol.

In particular I'm thinking of the story of the Tower of Babel. Basically, it goes that all of mankind worked together to build a tower so massive that it reached into heaven, and they did this in order to worship and honor not God, but themselves. They wanted a name and place as mighty and important as God's (more or less, I'm summarizing here, folks) and felt the tower would be their avenue to achieving that goal. Well, God said "I don't THINK so!" and destroyed the tower and scattered humankind all over the world, giving us each different languages in order to keep us from being able to do something like this ever again. No gold stars for team work lol.

Well, instead of building a tower upward, the shipwrecked survivors of Jacob's time--and the Dharma folks of the 70s--were digging downward, towards an earthly "heaven" in which "life, death, rebirth" reside. And they want to drill into this "heaven" not for God's glory, but for man's own selfishness and greed and glory. So, I'm guessing that much like God let the people of Babel exist until they came close to reaching the heavens with their incredible tower, "Fake" mom and Jacob let people live on the island until THEY started reaching down into the "heavens" for all the wrong reasons. At that point, they'z gots to go! lol...The shipwrecked people lived for a long time until they started digging into the light. At that point, once fake mom found out she couldn't let them go on with what they were doing. The Dharma people were allowed to reside on the island in a pact with the Others, until they drilled too deep into the earthly "heaven". In the original timeline, there's no bomb and the swan hatch gets completed, and it's sometime after the deep digging that the purge is carried out...possibly for the same reasons? Just a guess.

Anyway, that's it for now lol. Still too many questions that need to be address in my eyes, but I thought I'd try to answer them as well instead of just getting irritated that these questions still exist.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:15:39 PM by WhatThe »