Poll

Is MIB dead or Smokey?

MIB was killed in the cave by Jacob
MIB metamorphisized into Smokey

Author Topic: Is MIB dead or Smokey?  (Read 9447 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Is MIB dead or Smokey?
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:54 AM »
OK after "What They Died For" I'm back 100% in the MIB = Smokey camp. The whole scene with Jacob, although I'm sure someone can argue it differently, put the final seal on it for me. I may still be proven wrong in the end, but I'm sticking with MIB = Smokey.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »
OK after "What They Died For" I'm back 100% in the MIB = Smokey camp. The whole scene with Jacob, although I'm sure someone can argue it differently, put the final seal on it for me. I may still be proven wrong in the end, but I'm sticking with MIB = Smokey.

Exactly, Jacob talked about the monster as if it were his brother and that he 'did this to him'.  No question in my mind, MIB=Smokie.  The cave holds life, death and rebirth.  What more do we want?  MIB's body died and his spirit was reborn as Smokie.  He is the dark, and the light is the....uh.... light!

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »

Exactly, Jacob talked about the monster as if it were his brother and that he 'did this to him'.  No question in my mind, MIB=Smokie.  The cave holds life, death and rebirth.  What more do we want?  MIB's body died and his spirit was reborn as Smokie.  He is the dark, and the light is the....uh.... light!
I think this is where I am at... the rest of the debate is semantics. (Not meaning that in a bad way.)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »

I think this is where I am at... the rest of the debate is semantics. (Not meaning that in a bad way.)

Of course not, I would never suggest you are anti-semantic!   ;D

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
Sorry if this has been said but don't have time or patience to read back.

Jacob's brother is dead he was not dead when he went into the cave he was passed out.  The mother said never to go in there (for a reason) as we see when the smoke monster comes out. It took whatever life force it needed before disposing of the physical being.  Ergo the body on the trees.

So the physical body of Jacob's brother is gone, but Cerebus lives on and uses what it needs to achieve it's goal.  The answer will be provided in the final hours of the show.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »

Jacob's brother is dead he was not dead when he went into the cave he was passed out.  The mother said never to go in there (for a reason) as we see when the smoke monster comes out. It took whatever life force it needed before disposing of the physical being.  Ergo the body on the trees.

So the physical body of Jacob's brother is gone, but Cerebus lives on and uses what it needs to achieve it's goal.  The answer will be provided in the final hours of the show.

But that kind of goes against what Mother said that going in there would be a "fate worse than death". Therefore MIB is not dead, therefore MIB=Cerberus.

Then again, Jacob and Mother could be wrong, and you could be right.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2010, 03:37:13 AM »
In re-watching this week's episode again tonight, one of the things that jumped out at me was Locke's answer about why he doesn't fly everywhere... he likes the feeling of his feet on the ground similar to when he was alive.  That definitely implies that MiB and Smokie really are one and the same.  Obviously, I am not perfectly convinced, but I have been mostly swayed.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2010, 04:59:40 AM »

But that kind of goes against what Mother said that going in there would be a "fate worse than death". Therefore MIB is not dead, therefore MIB=Cerberus.

Then again, Jacob and Mother could be wrong, and you could be right.
Well it is a fate worse than death.  I think the confusion lies in the fact that there was a physical being and that is gone and layed to rest in the caves.  So my implication that he is dead is to the physical part that is dead , but what came out of the depth of the light and island is Cerebus/Smokey and in it contains Jacob's brother. 

Remember that bodies had to be buried and it links back to Cerebus and taking them and possibly using them.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2010, 02:53:33 AM »
Well if anyone watched the re-airing of the pilot episode today, about 4-5 times throughout the episode, the pop-ups said that the smoke monster was MIB. I know I've argued about the validity of the pop-ups, but when something is reapeated that many times, I think they mean what they say. The smoke monster is MIB.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2010, 02:59:52 AM »
Well if anyone watched the re-airing of the pilot episode today, about 4-5 times throughout the episode, the pop-ups said that the smoke monster was MIB. I know I've argued about the validity of the pop-ups, but when something is reapeated that many times, I think they mean what they say. The smoke monster is MIB.
Just like smokey = MIB TPTB also stated MIB = Locke..to them...even though they are different personas/characters....they are still the same antagonist...if we can safely call him the antagonist...=)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:12:51 AM by Cowboy Up »

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2010, 05:02:10 AM »
Just like smokey = MIB TPTB also stated MIB = Locke..to them...even though they are different personas/characters....they are still the same antagonist...if we can safely call him the antagonist...=)

Hold on a sec, Tex. Let's not compare apples or oranges here. If TPTB said MIB=Locke, it was before the big reveal at the season finale that made our brains explode. In fact, I don't think they ever said MIB was Locke. They likely only called the Ajira Locke, "Locke".

On the other hand, they have already shown the backstory of MIB. Unless there is going to be a major 180 after what they just showed us a couple episodes ago, I really don't think you can compare the 2.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:12 AM »
Actually the enhanced episode stated what I have been saying over and over again.   The Smoke Monster is Jacob's brother.  He has taken the form of Locke and he did that to achieve his goals to date.  Smoke Monster even stated why he took that body.

Locke is dead his form is being used as a housing for the smoke monster.

Not to hard to understand as it has been told us over and over. ;)