Author Topic: "Everything will cease to exist"  (Read 1525 times)

Offline relient k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
"Everything will cease to exist"
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
A few episodes back, Widmore claims that if the MiB leaves the island, everything will "Simply cease to exist"... how does this one man leaving an island cause this?

Offline Xentro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "Everything will cease to exist"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »
As some people stated some where else, I don't think that M.I.B = smokey.

Smokey is "evil incarnated". It is a visible form of 'badness'/evil. So I don't think evil is human ...

Offline relient k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »

Smokey is "evil incarnated". It is a visible form of 'badness'/evil. So I don't think evil is human ...

That makes sense, but why does it want to leave the island if it's not Jacob's brother? >.<

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »

That makes sense, but why does it want to leave the island if it's not Jacob's brother? >.<

Quoting Jack "What if it's afraid of what happens if we stay?"  Smokey doesn't want to leave the island, he wants everyone ELSE to leave, kinda sad that Jack is the only one that want's/feels the need to stay.  That puts a big ole target on the good doctor. 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »

Because just like Locke's personality leaked into Flocke, so did MIB's affect the smoke.

If the Light is Life, Death, Rebirth then the destruction of it would wipe out humanity.  How Widmore became privy to this information is anyone's guess.  He seems to feel that the Smoke is tied to the Light.  Perhaps it goes back to the balance.  The Light is the stockpile of all Life in the world, perhaps the Smoke is the gathering of all evil in the world.  With the evil off of the island the Light cannot survive.  I'm thinking the flame of a candle.  The candle needs the air around it to continue to shine.  Remove the air and the light goes out.  Take the evil off the island the light of the island goes out.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »

Because just like Locke's personality leaked into Flocke, so did MIB's affect the smoke.

If the Light is Life, Death, Rebirth then the destruction of it would wipe out humanity.  How Widmore became privy to this information is anyone's guess.  He seems to feel that the Smoke is tied to the Light.  Perhaps it goes back to the balance.  The Light is the stockpile of all Life in the world, perhaps the Smoke is the gathering of all evil in the world.  With the evil off of the island the Light cannot survive.  I'm thinking the flame of a candle.  The candle needs the air around it to continue to shine.  Remove the air and the light goes out.  Take the evil off the island the light of the island goes out.

We're on the same boat!  Now we just have to keep from crashing on some crazy island! ;D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »

I don't want it to sound like I'm just being a contrarian, but how is Locke's personality leaking into Smokey? I mean, obviously we've seen how he was able to acquire Locke's memories and thoughts, but I havn't really seen Locke's personality influencing Smokey. The only thing I can think of is Locke yelling to ghost Jacob, "Don't tell me what I can't do!" but I don't think thats enough to say Locke is influencing Smokey.

I do really like your candle analogy though. It's a great explaination!