Author Topic: We have a Winner (IMHO)  (Read 5118 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
We have a Winner (IMHO)
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
I thought when he was pulled into that light thing it sucked all the "light" out of him and all that is left was the dark part of him. IDK, I was really confused by the shiny water concept

Felt that this needed it's own thread. I REALLY like the way this one works and it kind of ties ALOT of our unanswered questions up nicely. Discuss.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: We have a Winner (IMHO)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »
I like my idea better from "The origins of Smokey" thread

So I got this whacky idea of how smokey came to be. We know were told that inside the Spring of Light lies "Life, death, rebirth, the source" and that there is a little bit of that light inside all men (and women I assume). Where there is light there is dark. If there is light in the Spring, then there is darkness in pefect balance, and a little bit of that darkness lies inside all mankind as well. When MiB went into the spring with the darkness of murdering his "mother" it tipped the scales and the darkness was released in a physical form. The balance of good and evil has been skewed for the last 2,000 years time since Smokey was formed.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
I thought when he was pulled into that light thing it sucked all the "light" out of him and all that is left was the dark part of him. IDK, I was really confused by the shiny water concept

Felt that this needed it's own thread. I REALLY like the way this one works and it kind of ties ALOT of our unanswered questions up nicely. Discuss.

How exactly does it tie up a lot of our unanswered questions?? I mean, I like the way it sounds too, but I don't see what you're seeing IAJ.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »

How exactly does it tie up a lot of our unanswered questions?? I mean, I like the way it sounds too, but I don't see what you're seeing IAJ.

I meant that it ties up why he can't be allowed to leave and why he is referred to as "Evil incarnate". I think it also kind of gives us a little insight into how it ties in to the apparent "Good" light at the center of the island. These were all questions I had at the end of the Ep, and not only does this give answers to those questions, but it also makes sense.

Still don't get how and why the FDW moves the Island, but it may just be the same way the Posi-track on the rear end of a Plymouth works....It just does.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

I meant that it ties up why he can't be allowed to leave and why he is referred to as "Evil incarnate". I think it also kind of gives us a little insight into how it ties in to the apparent "Good" light at the center of the island. These were all questions I had at the end of the Ep, and not only does this give answers to those questions, but it also makes sense.

Still don't get how and why the FDW moves the Island, but it may just be the same way the Posi-track on the rear end of a Plymouth works....It just does.

Fair enough, but maybe next time you post something like that, you should say that it answers alot of your questions, because I wasn't thinking any of this. LOL

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »
What if the light performs a similar "Dogan test" if someone enters it? MIB enters the light just after killing mother so his scale (which Dogan says every man has a scale that represents his or her good and evil) was tipped to the wrong side thus creating an evil smoke monster. Much like Dogan said Sayid's scale was tipped the wrong way (possibly for attempting to kill young Ben) when he entered the pool. This kind of goes along with the "light getting sucked out of him" thing.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »

Fair enough, but maybe next time you post something like that, you should say that it answers alot of your questions, because I wasn't thinking any of this. LOL

Yeah sorry. This post just fit so well and made so much sense to me.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »
I'm really uncomfortable with the morality scale...I feel like I'm in a game of "He said - She said."
Yes, MIB killed his mother, but she had just killed ALL of his family and bashed his head up against the rock wall. She lied to him. She took away his free choice (by keeping his origins from him). She "did something" that made it impossible for him to leave the island.

Obviously, it is wrong to kill your mother.

But Jacob was MORE wrong forcing him out of his body like that. Jacob's motive was purely negative - he was extremely jealous of MIB.

Neither Jacob or MIB are good or evil. I've always felt sympathetic toward MIB, and after last night I feel even more so. He is definitely the one who was wronged.

Rant aside, I think that "the light source" taking away MIB's own spark of light makes a lot of sense, leaving only the dark, smokiness -the dusty-carbon part of us all, our animal selves.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
I like this theory too. I am going with it for now..

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
I've always said that even with all the White and Black sybolism we will be left with clear shades of grey, and I think that is precisely where we are at.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
I've always said that even with all the White and Black sybolism we will be left with clear shades of grey, and I think that is precisely where we are at.
I agree. There is no more pure good and pure evil. Dude, I think we should apologize to Opie lol!

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
After the fake mom explained the light as being the heart of the island I figured like anything "living" it would need something to keep going so to speak. And when MIB got sucked down the drain(because that it what it sounded like) it makes sense that it would take what it needed from him and poof we have the smoke which is the "evil incarnate" that they talk about.
I honestly thought this part of the show was a little wacky, but I come to expect that anymore on Lost. I was just trying to think of a simple explanation for what happened and this made sense to me.  ;)
Thanks for the support IAJ!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
I agree. There is no more pure good and pure evil. Dude, I think we should apologize to Opie lol!

I think we should call this one a draw, no apologies necessary from either side.  MIB started off as an innocent kid with a crazy mother who lied to him about everything.  When he rebelled and tried to go his own way, he paid the price.  Now, only his dark side remains.  That dark side is evil, no doubt, but he didn't ask to be turned into the smoke monster.  Jacob started off as a momma's boy and grew to be a whiny wimp (but I don't WANNA protect the light!).  He always listened to his mother and can't lie, but he's no saint and I'm not sure if he hasn't been looking for a replacement all these years just because he doesn't want the job.  Clear shades of grey?  Nah, this is one big sloppy grey mess!

Offline Abaddons Key

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm really uncomfortable with the morality scale...I feel like I'm in a game of "He said - She said."
Yes, MIB killed his mother, but she had just killed ALL of his family and bashed his head up against the rock wall. She lied to him. She took away his free choice (by keeping his origins from him). She "did something" that made it impossible for him to leave the island.

Obviously, it is wrong to kill your mother.

But Jacob was MORE wrong forcing him out of his body like that. Jacob's motive was purely negative - he was extremely jealous of MIB.

Neither Jacob or MIB are good or evil. I've always felt sympathetic toward MIB, and after last night I feel even more so. He is definitely the one who was wronged.

Rant aside, I think that "the light source" taking away MIB's own spark of light makes a lot of sense, leaving only the dark, smokiness -the dusty-carbon part of us all, our animal selves.

Human nature incarnate?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »

I think we should call this one a draw, no apologies necessary from either side.  MIB started off as an innocent kid with a crazy mother who lied to him about everything.  When he rebelled and tried to go his own way, he paid the price.  Now, only his dark side remains.  That dark side is evil, no doubt, but he didn't ask to be turned into the smoke monster.  Jacob started off as a momma's boy and grew to be a whiny wimp (but I don't WANNA protect the light!).  He always listened to his mother and can't lie, but he's no saint and I'm not sure if he hasn't been looking for a replacement all these years just because he doesn't want the job.  Clear shades of grey?  Nah, this is one big sloppy grey mess!

Hmmmmm, interesting LF. See, I didn't take his whining to his mother to mean that he didn't want to protect the light, but rather that he was upset that she wanted MiB to do it, and "got stuck" with Jacob doing it.