Author Topic: We have a Winner (IMHO)  (Read 3984 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: We have a Winner (IMHO)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
I like this also. MIB was not necessarily evil in this story, but smokie sure is. This theory explains whe flocke is such a killing machine

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
i think it also explains, at least to me, that is doesnt really matter...the story is a story of how these people interact...the how and why of the island are irrelevant, we have come as close to what the island is and how it works as we are going to get...unless they come up with a solution soon, like a huge hamster on a wheel...it's a McGuffin, at each curve and hilltop we get a glimpse, but after we reach that point of the ride, it was thrilling, but we see it again around the next turn or dip...

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
I like the idea that The Light sucks all the light out of a person, but in that case I'd be more concerned about containing The Light rather than stopping the darkness from leaving the island.  The Light is much more destructive.  There is evil in the world already, but it's balanced by goodness.  If the darkness got out the world would only be a bit darker than it is now, but if The Light got out it would turn the whole world into Darkness by sucking up all the light we have, thus upsetting the balance.   Dark is bad but Light is worse.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »
Yeah I see what you are saying and I think now with MiB the way he is he as added a new task for the Protector of the Island. The Protector now has to protect the Light from going out, however that is, AND protect the outside world from MiB.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:42:04 AM »
I like the idea that The Light sucks all the light out of a person, but in that case I'd be more concerned about containing The Light rather than stopping the darkness from leaving the island.  The Light is much more destructive.  There is evil in the world already, but it's balanced by goodness.  If the darkness got out the world would only be a bit darker than it is now, but if The Light got out it would turn the whole world into Darkness by sucking up all the light we have, thus upsetting the balance.   Dark is bad but Light is worse.

Yeah I see what you are saying and I think now with MiB the way he is he as added a new task for the Protector of the Island. The Protector now has to protect the Light from going out, however that is, AND protect the outside world from MiB.

I think we almost have it.  There is a balance.  I think if MIB leaves the island, the balance will be upset and the light will go out, on the island and everywhere.  The end of life.  He will then have destroyed himself and everyone else without having to go on a murderous rampage.  Just the act of leaving will be enough and he might not even know it himself.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »

I think we almost have it.  There is a balance.  I think if MIB leaves the island, the balance will be upset and the light will go out, on the island and everywhere.  The end of life.  He will then have destroyed himself and everyone else without having to go on a murderous rampage.  Just the act of leaving will be enough and he might not even know it himself.

I like it.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
I agree with this. Good thoughts SOL

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
I agree with this. Good thoughts SOL
Suzanne, I thought it was your idea!

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »
 :D ha! I agree with myself all the time  :D

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »
I like the idea that The Light sucks all the light out of a person, but in that case I'd be more concerned about containing The Light rather than stopping the darkness from leaving the island.  The Light is much more destructive.  There is evil in the world already, but it's balanced by goodness.  If the darkness got out the world would only be a bit darker than it is now, but if The Light got out it would turn the whole world into Darkness by sucking up all the light we have, thus upsetting the balance.   Dark is bad but Light is worse.

Well, I don't know if it would only be a BIT darker lol...I would imagine what we have now is more like how dark it is right as the sun sets, a good mixture of day and night (light and dark). If the "dark" from the cave got out, it would be like looking at the night sky while deep in the middle of the forrest, with all of the stars extinguished. Just pure blackness.

At any rate, it appears that the Light has no "desire" (so to speak) of leaving the island, so whatever "destructive" manner it may have won't be unleashed on the world. It was kinda funny, but I was taking a walk yesterday right before sunset, and it was really quiet out and no cars or anyone around...lots of open space around me. And I thought about "Lost", and imagined this incredibly gigantic pillar of dark smoke suddenly rising out of nowhere in front of me and filling the sky. I gotta tell ya, that would be DAMN eff'n scary lol.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 07:13:41 AM »

I thought mother didn't want him to leave the island, because she loved him. Jacob doesn't want him to leave the island,
because mother told him that he cannot leave. I hope he will leave.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »

I thought mother didn't want him to leave the island, because she loved him. Jacob doesn't want him to leave the island,
because mother told him that he cannot leave. I hope he will leave.

Jacob doesn't want him to leave because if he gets off the light will go out. If that is because MiB has the light with him now, or because the balance would go out I'm not sure. The motives to keep MiB on the island are much more grave than "His Mother Told him too."