Author Topic: The Same?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The Same?
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:00:37 AM »
Allison Janney said to Jacob "we are the same now"?

what could that mean?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:49:06 PM by Numbers Junkie »

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: The Same?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
I kind of took it to mean he now knows everything about the island, life, the world...everything that she knows.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:16:33 AM »
I took it as MiB and Jacob were both candidates for her replacement...jacob took her spot....they are now the same...keeper of the light of Lost island...

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:32 AM »
I also think that whatever powers the island granted on Mother were now bestowed upon Jacob. I'm not sure if she herself couldn't die, but it seemed as if she had the power to give immorality to others.  It seems she too could not be hurt or die until this gift was given to the next candidate and once that happened she could die. I only assumed this becuz she thanked MIB before she died. And Jacob granted immortality to Richard.

I believe that Mother was given the islands power while she was the Caretaker. Apparently the gift is passed onto the Next caretaker.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 03:09:11 AM by KoKoNut »

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:45:06 AM »
I also think that whatever powers the island granted on Mother were now bestowed upon Jacob. I'm not sure if she herself couldn't die, but it seemed as if she had the power to give immorality to others.  It seems she too could not be hurt or die until this gift was given to the next candidate and once that happened she could die. I only assumed this becuz she thanked MIB before she died. And Jacob granted immortality to Richard.

I believe that Mother was given the islands power while she was the Caretaker. Apparently the gift is passed onto the Next caretaker.

^ I pretty much agree with that word for word. Well said.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:51:44 AM »
I thought it was interesting that drinking from that bottle of wine was what made Jacob the new protector. The very same wine he gave to Richard. So if the mother could die after she gave Jacob the responsibility of protecting the source by having him drink the wine; does that mean that when Richard drank the wine he actually became the new protector without actually knowing it? Could explain why he was granted immortality and Jacob could die after. Jacob's great deceit... he has already passed on the responsibility to Richard.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
I thought it was interesting that drinking from that bottle of wine was what made Jacob the new protector. The very same wine he gave to Richard. So if the mother could die after she gave Jacob the responsibility of protecting the source by having him drink the wine; does that mean that when Richard drank the wine he actually became the new protector without actually knowing it? Could explain why he was granted immortality and Jacob could die after. Jacob's great deceit... he has already passed on the responsibility to Richard.

I don't think the wine Richard drank had the same effect as the wine Jacob drank. For one thing, Jacob didn't say an incantation before giving the wine to Richard like Mother did. I think it was what she said over the wine that turned that glass into an elixer or whatever. And for another thing, I just dont think Jacob would anoint him 5 minutes after meeting him, beating him up and chatting with him. He could have done that with anyone centuries ago and gone to live in Fresno. I think Richard's immortality came from the Touch and gives him the power to be Jacob's messenger boy, not the next protector. Otherwise, why would Jacob still be seeking and protecting candidates?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »

I don't think the wine Richard drank had the same effect as the wine Jacob drank. For one thing, Jacob didn't say an incantation before giving the wine to Richard like Mother did. I think it was what she said over the wine that turned that glass into an elixer or whatever. And for another thing, I just dont think Jacob would anoint him 5 minutes after meeting him, beating him up and chatting with him. He could have done that with anyone centuries ago and gone to live in Fresno. I think Richard's immortality came from the Touch and gives him the power to be Jacob's messenger boy, not the next protector. Otherwise, why would Jacob still be seeking and protecting candidates?
I don't think I'm right about that either. Just a thought I had after that scene in remembering that Richard had drank from the very same bottle. But you're right I doubt very much that is the case. Especially since after that he just gives the wine to MIB who then breaks the bottle. So if the wine really was that instrumental, he probably wouldn't have given it to him. Unless he knew for sure that this time would be the last time...

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
I'm wondering if the Caretaker or Keeper of the Island somehow communicates with the Island itself? It made me start thinking that although there are candidates for the next Caretaker, ultimately does the Island already know who is The One?

And I wonder what Mother was chanting when she was pouring the wine? Maybe that's an ancient language of the Island?