Author Topic: Candidate Sawyer and Candidate Sheppard  (Read 2459 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Candidate Sawyer and Candidate Sheppard
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »
I'm thinking it's not the light that will stop MIB but the water.  He has a problem with water.  So if they can trap him somewhere like a cave where they can flood it with water, that should do it.  Gee, too bad they can't figure out a way to sink the whole island.........wait a minute......... ;)

But wasn't smokey residing in the light cave (filled with water)? Smokey has also been seen in the rain. How do we know he is repelled by water?

We don't, some of us are just taki9ng a throw away line that Sawyer said, and making it mean way more than we know it to.

I don't think they use many 'throw away lines' in this show.  As I said, remember the scene where Ben 'summoned' Smokey.  Smokey couldn't get into the village because of the sonic fences, but Ben let him in simply by draining a few inches of water from a little pool.  The thing can uproot trees and throw people through the air, but it can't pass through water.  That's what I took from that scene.  Lame, maybe.  Cheesy, sure.  But we've all accepted a frozen donkey wheel can move an island through space and time, right?   ;)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »
I'm thinking it's not the light that will stop MIB but the water.  He has a problem with water.  So if they can trap him somewhere like a cave where they can flood it with water, that should do it.  Gee, too bad they can't figure out a way to sink the whole island.........wait a minute......... ;)

But wasn't smokey residing in the light cave (filled with water)? Smokey has also been seen in the rain. How do we know he is repelled by water?

We don't, some of us are just taki9ng a throw away line that Sawyer said, and making it mean way more than we know it to.

I don't think they use many 'throw away lines' in this show.  As I said, remember the scene where Ben 'summoned' Smokey.  Smokey couldn't get into the village because of the sonic fences, but Ben let him in simply by draining a few inches of water from a little pool.  The thing can uproot trees and throw people through the air, but it can't pass through water.  That's what I took from that scene.  Lame, maybe.  Cheesy, sure.  But we've all accepted a frozen donkey wheel can move an island through space and time, right?   ;)

I'm talking about the line from Sawyer when he tells Jack to "...just get him in the water, and I'll take care of the rest." People are taking that line and turning it into some kind of key element about Smokey. I mean we have seen Smokey in water several times. Even when Locke came back to life after the Ajira flight, he was standing in the water eating the mango.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »

I don't think they use many 'throw away lines' in this show.  As I said, remember the scene where Ben 'summoned' Smokey.  Smokey couldn't get into the village because of the sonic fences, but Ben let him in simply by draining a few inches of water from a little pool.  The thing can uproot trees and throw people through the air, but it can't pass through water.  That's what I took from that scene.  Lame, maybe.  Cheesy, sure.  But we've all accepted a frozen donkey wheel can move an island through space and time, right?   ;)

I'm talking about the line from Sawyer when he tells Jack to "...just get him in the water, and I'll take care of the rest." People are taking that line and turning it into some kind of key element about Smokey. I mean we have seen Smokey in water several times. Even when Locke came back to life after the Ajira flight, he was standing in the water eating the mango.

I know, I'm not saying that he melts like the wicked witch if he gets wet.  I'm referring to the conversation where Flocke says that if he could just 'fly over' to the Hydra island, he would.  There has been debate that smokey is somehow 'tethered' to the island and can't travel over or through water.  This was also discussed waaay back as an explanation as to why he can't just fly over the sonic fences.  So if this has any merit, my guess is that the sunken island, which I'm assuming they won't leave hanging out there at the end of the series, will be how MIB is ultimately defeated.  I'm also guessing that Desmond will be the one to sink the island.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
I know, I'm not saying that he melts like the wicked witch if he gets wet.  I'm referring to the conversation where Flocke says that if he could just 'fly over' to the Hydra island, he would.  There has been debate that smokey is somehow 'tethered' to the island and can't travel over or through water.  This was also discussed waaay back as an explanation as to why he can't just fly over the sonic fences.  So if this has any merit, my guess is that the sunken island, which I'm assuming they won't leave hanging out there at the end of the series, will be how MIB is ultimately defeated.  I'm also guessing that Desmond will be the one to sink the island.

I thought that line about flying off the island wasn't about getting from the main island to Hydra island, but about getting off the island completely.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
I would agree, but I think the only crash survivor that is going to make it all the way to the end is going to be Jack. Whatever happens will be a big struggle between Jack and Locke/MiB.

Bring MIB back to the light and maybe he is defeated?

I think both jack and Desmond will play a hand in defeating MIB.  Desmond will be the only one able to bring him into the light without being destroyed himself.

Apparently, only the island protector can find the cave. So yeah, if Jack will be the new island protector he could lead Desmond to the cave, and Desmond could fool Smokey into entering the cave after him.
The only problem is I don't want Smokey to die, I want him to escape.  :)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »

I thought that line about flying off the island wasn't about getting from the main island to Hydra island, but about getting off the island completely.

Either way, sink the island (save the cheerleader), save the world!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »
I would agree, but I think the only crash survivor that is going to make it all the way to the end is going to be Jack. Whatever happens will be a big struggle between Jack and Locke/MiB.

I think both jack and Desmond will play a hand in defeating MIB.  Desmond will be the only one able to bring him into the light without being destroyed himself.

Apparently, only the island protector can find the cave. So yeah, if Jack will be the new island protector he could lead Desmond to the cave, and Desmond could fool Smokey into entering the cave after him.

Yes, I would love to see someone finally have the cajones to write a story where the good guys fail and the world is destroyed!  Talk about a surprise ending with no chance of a movie option!   ;D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

Are you thinking that's why MiB couldn't find the cave without his mother, and why she "...knows that now..." that Jacob was the one that was suppossed to be the protector??

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »

Yes, I would love to see someone finally have the cajones to write a story where the good guys fail and the world is destroyed!  Talk about a surprise ending with no chance of a movie option!   ;D

I used to think that way until I saw The Perfect Storm. OK so the world isn't destroyed, but everyone dies and I felt it wasn't a good way to end a movie. I know it was based on a true story, but it still sucked to see them all die.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 02:23:13 PM »

Yes, I would love to see someone finally have the cajones to write a story where the good guys fail and the world is destroyed!  Talk about a surprise ending with no chance of a movie option!   ;D

You've seen the saw movies, right?? Bad guy deffinitely wins there.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »

Yes, I would love to see someone finally have the cajones to write a story where the good guys fail and the world is destroyed!  Talk about a surprise ending with no chance of a movie option!   ;D

You've seen the saw movies, right?? Bad guy deffinitely wins there.

Those movies aren't my type.  But I'm talking about an all out end-of-days story where the end actually comes and no one survives.  What a concept! 

Offline sobrien

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »
I hadn't seen this anywhere here, but it seems to me that Sawyer is the candidate to replace MIB (wants to leave the island) and Sheppard is the candidate to replace Jacob (wants to stay). 

Trash at will.

I don't think there needs to be a candidate to replace MIB.  He is the antagonist of the "protector/Jacob."  For all intents and purposes, Smokie seem immortal - he doesn't die and doesn't seem to be able to be killed; that leads me to believe he needs no replacement.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 05:28:29 PM »
I hadn't seen this anywhere here, but it seems to me that Sawyer is the candidate to replace MIB (wants to leave the island) and Sheppard is the candidate to replace Jacob (wants to stay). 

Trash at will.

I don't think there needs to be a candidate to replace MIB.  He is the antagonist of the "protector/Jacob."  For all intents and purposes, Smokie seem immortal - he doesn't die and doesn't seem to be able to be killed; that leads me to believe he needs no replacement.

Yeah I agree with this here. I am not sold that a way to defeat MiB will not ever be found, but I don't think a replacement is needed.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
900. At this rate I'll definately hit my goal.