Author Topic: TPTB's plan to make even more money  (Read 2566 times)

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
TPTB's plan to make even more money
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »
I think TPTB are setting us all up. TPTB have said once the show is over it is over. No room for sequels or continuation of the story. What if they are planning to do a prequel much like George Lucas did with the Star Wars movies. The episode last night created so many new questions and barely answered anything. So, imo they are planning a prequel movie in a few years which will lead to a resurgence in the series--making them more money.... I feel duped....

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: TPTB's plan to make even more money
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
If so, I won't be fooled again.  I loved LOST more when it was a story about survivors of a plane crash who had a chance to redefine themselves and leave the past behind.  I liked it when it had the mystery of the Dharma Initiative and what were the powers of the island - physical or spiritual or both.  While I like the themes of faith/science, fate/ free will, good/evil, I am not interested in seeing a new group of people unpack their garbage, battle known unknowns, only to find the same veiled mysteries not fully explained.  It would be the worst show ever.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »
I assume you are talking about a pre-Mother cast right? There would be no technology and no Smokie borring, they could just give us that info in a few lines of dialog or a 2 minute flashback.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »
I assume you are talking about a pre-Mother cast right? There would be no technology and no Smokie borring, they could just give us that info in a few lines of dialog or a 2 minute flashback.

No I mean a movie to explain:
1 why MIB was kept in a cabin,
2what ash has to do with him,
3what is this game they are playing,
4what are the rules,
5 is MIB still part of smokey or did smokey take MIB over,
6why Jacob wants to prove to MIB that people are good when his whole life his mother said they weren't and he was to stay away from them,
7etc etc etc...
basically all the key info we should have gotten last night but didn't

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »
I think any of these issues will be handled one of two ways, Special features on the DVDs, or a LOST movie like the idiots did with the X-files movies.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »

4what are the rules,
6why Jacob wants to prove to MIB that people are good when his whole life his mother said they weren't and he was to stay away from them,
7etc etc etc...

There are still 3 hours of show. There is still time to have a keystone answer that helps us to other answers after we get it.  I am not cutting bait and assuming we are all going to be left out in the cold on our important answers.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »

There are still 3 hours of show. There is still time to have a keystone answer that helps us to other answers after we get it.  I am not cutting bait and assuming we are all going to be left out in the cold on our important answers.
[/quote]

Technically, 3.5 hours left, since next week is 1 hr and the finale is 2.5 hours.  I am still unsure of what they will be able to answer in that timeframe, however, especially with all the new questions they created last night. :(

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
And let us remember that an hour show is actually about 35 minutes of show and the rest advertisements.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 03:58:12 PM »
And let us remember that an hour show is actually about 35 minutes of show and the rest advertisements.

42 minutes of show to be exact.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »
They figured out that ashes from a burned [who knows?] would stop him.  We saw it stop the smoke when it was burnt Jacob.  Maybe the ashes of a burnt candidate or whatever will work.

Either way, someone tricked Smokey into going into the cabin, then trapped him with the ash.  Or, Jacob surrounded himself or another candidate with ash to keep Smokey out.

4what are the rules,

The battle for the redemption of mankind.  If Jacob finds a successor who meets criteria, he wins.  If Smokey rules out all candidates, he wins.

The rules are, Smokey can't directly harm any candidate.  He either has someone else do it, or he convinces them to forfeit.  Smokey can read minds and take the form of any dead person.

Jacob's self-imposed rule is that he doesn't directly tell a candidate what to do.

Looks like Smokey is what's left of MiB, although (less likely) the body just released a separate entity from the cave.

Mother wanted MiB to be The One.  That's probably why he had the magic powers even as a boy (saw dead mom).  Mother wanted him to carry on in the tradition of distrusting the nature of man.  She fed him the line "they come, they fight, etc...it all ends the same"

Jacob accepted the default, 2nd choice appointment as Protector, but he didn't share his step-mom's pessimism.  He's out to prove her wrong.  See 3 and 4 above.

7etc etc etc...

Sure, what I wrote (as if it's gospel) is combined speculation and established fact.  I recognize your frustration with not having been given crystal-clear exposition of every last element.  Not only is it best to leave some things for the viewer to work out, also keep in mind that we have another episode PLUS a movie that's as long as Avatar to finish clarifying things.

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
Well i have never watched a single episode of "alias"... and ive been catching up on 'fringe" on abc.com... i didnt instantly watch "lost" it was recommended by some co-workers who were absolutely useless on the day after lost aired and i figured WTf and rented season one and finally caught up LIVE after seeing season 2 on abc.com...

anyways.... am i ever going to watch an abrahms/lindelof show again... probably not...

and with this being their next venture... i can gaurantee i wont be ...
http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/entertainment/2010/05/jj_abrams_back_in_the_spy_game.html

im not saying this because i dont like where the end of lost is going.... im saying it because ive heard how people hooked on alias were less than happy about its conclusion... and im a stephen king fan so i can list 20+ books of his that resemble "losts" amazing start/middle and sloppy ending...

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »

42 minutes of show to be exact.

So we have exactly 147 minutes of Lost left? (3.5*42 = 147)
That's about an answer a minute they have to give us :)

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
This show has (and still is, imho) done it's job very well. It's taken us out of our lives every week, and, even further, into forums and websites digging for information to try to figure out what is going on. A lot of people seem to think they are going to be 100% disappointed with what we will be given in the next 2 episodes. I really don't think we are going to be left disappointed. It may not go where some people "want" it go to, but it will go somewhere nonetheless. Get ready for the finale, because it's going to pack a punch.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
Coming this fall, the sequel to the hit show Lost, the next tv sensation on ABC...."Found"
*bwwwaaaaaaaaaammm*