Author Topic: So where are the Egyptians?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
So where are the Egyptians?
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »
Claudia was speaking Latin.  Brother got his Roman knife from living with her people for 30 years.

Mother gave her boys the Egyptian game Senet.  So is she Egyptian?  Is she Tawaret?  When was the statue built in relation to the events we've just seen?

Did we just see the creation (or just the release) of the Smoke Monster?  If it's Smokey's first appearance then when were the (now underground) caverns built (with depictions of Smokey)?

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: So where are the Egyptians?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »
I am afraid you'll never get these questions answered. Just "three" more episodes left.
I'm starting to get irritated with this season. They had too much filler and too many new questions.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »
I am assuming they come after Smokey was made. We did not see a statue, temple or any other egyptian themed artifact besides the game. If memory serves me correctly, the frozen donkey wheel cave had hyroglyphs carved into them. Unless the "Egyptian" mother carved them out before burying the wheel well, the Egyptians will still need to come.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »
It is possible that the Egyptians came to the island after MiB became Smokey, and for whatever reason started worshipping him. Hence the temple and Hieroglyphics.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
Since there is no statue at the beach it stands to reason that the Egyptians haven't come yet. I assume that they work with Smokey to harness the powers of the island and install the donkey wheel. Therefore they worship Smokey.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
It is possible that the Egyptians came to the island after MiB became Smokey, and for whatever reason started worshipping him. Hence the temple and Hieroglyphics.
I think this is possible. Maybe he brought them there-I would have liked to know how the statue came about.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »

Good thought.  But wasn't the tapestry that Mom was weaving the same one that was hanging in the Foot?  The Foot tapestry had Egyptian themes on it...  It could be a different tapestry, though -- I couldn't tell much about the one she was weaving last night.  And Jacob will have had thousands of years to make more tapestries, I guess.  And you know, what, never mind, I just answered my own question -- it couldn't have been the same tapestry she was weaving, because MIB ripped her tapestry up when he destroyed her camp.  (Unless she'd made several.  Ugh.  This can get so circular.)

It kinda ticks me off that they were so specific with telling us about Richard ("Tenerife, Canary Islands, 1867") and yet they couldn't give us a crawl about these dates.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »

Good thought.  But wasn't the tapestry that Mom was weaving the same one that was hanging in the Foot?  The Foot tapestry had Egyptian themes on it...  It could be a different tapestry, though -- I couldn't tell much about the one she was weaving last night.  And Jacob will have had thousands of years to make more tapestries, I guess.  And you know, what, never mind, I just answered my own question -- it couldn't have been the same tapestry she was weaving, because MIB ripped her tapestry up when he destroyed her camp.  (Unless she'd made several.  Ugh.  This can get so circular.)

It kinda ticks me off that they were so specific with telling us about Richard ("Tenerife, Canary Islands, 1867") and yet they couldn't give us a crawl about these dates.

Yeah, you deduced correctly, the One Jacob was making was much larger.

Offline cookieshoes

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »

I think that's part of the larger "quick-and-messy cleanup" of the series that the writers have been doing with this entire season. They spent 5+ years being obsessively specific about every detail of this show, drawing every thing out at a snail's pace, dropping ambiguous hints all along, and now in this final season all of that pacing and expert story-telling is all out the window. Why? Because the series is ending and it doesn't matter what gets answered and what doesn't, or how they give it to us. All that matters is that they can finish the show with a finale that gives us an ending to it all. Which seems to me to mean that we should probably forget about suspense. We don't get to know what the MiB or his mother's name is (or, at least, we haven't yet), and we get handed all of these BIG answers in short lines of dialogue by characters who have no real reason to be giving them out, and with no fanfare to give it any excitement.  My guess is that they've done this so that none of us are left with a fair shot at poking holes in the continuity and timeline errors that things like this are bringing up.  The seasons up to this point were mostly "airtight", logically-speaking, so that we the viewers could piece things together and make some good guesses as to how everything connects. That era of the show has long since disappeared. The explanations we're getting are pretty much now being invented with each new episode, so it didn't really matter what our previous guesses to things were. They had created these many mysteries like "Adam and Eve" six years ago so that they could come up with an answer when they needed to years later.  So, after having drug us all out for so long on so many questions, what we're now seeing is the result of their mad rush to get all of these questions answered as quickly as possible.

Did the area where the well was being built look at all like the same area where Sawyer/Charlotte/Miles appeared when they were time-jumping?  I recall that area was flat and had no hills around it. Just jungle.  And since you could see the back of the statue's head, it must've been very close to the beach.  Yet, the well is where the Others would later build the Orchid station, which was supposed to be nowhere near the beach.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »

I think that's part of the larger "quick-and-messy cleanup" of the series that the writers have been doing with this entire season. They spent 5+ years being obsessively specific about every detail of this show, drawing every thing out at a snail's pace, dropping ambiguous hints all along, and now in this final season all of that pacing and expert story-telling is all out the window. Why? Because the series is ending and it doesn't matter what gets answered and what doesn't, or how they give it to us. All that matters is that they can finish the show with a finale that gives us an ending to it all. Which seems to me to mean that we should probably forget about suspense. We don't get to know what the MiB or his mother's name is (or, at least, we haven't yet), and we get handed all of these BIG answers in short lines of dialogue by characters who have no real reason to be giving them out, and with no fanfare to give it any excitement.  My guess is that they've done this so that none of us are left with a fair shot at poking holes in the continuity and timeline errors that things like this are bringing up.  The seasons up to this point were mostly "airtight", logically-speaking, so that we the viewers could piece things together and make some good guesses as to how everything connects. That era of the show has long since disappeared. The explanations we're getting are pretty much now being invented with each new episode, so it didn't really matter what our previous guesses to things were. They had created these many mysteries like "Adam and Eve" six years ago so that they could come up with an answer when they needed to years later.  So, after having drug us all out for so long on so many questions, what we're now seeing is the result of their mad rush to get all of these questions answered as quickly as possible.

Did the area where the well was being built look at all like the same area where Sawyer/Charlotte/Miles appeared when they were time-jumping?  I recall that area was flat and had no hills around it. Just jungle.  And since you could see the back of the statue's head, it must've been very close to the beach.  Yet, the well is where the Others would later build the Orchid station, which was supposed to be nowhere near the beach.

What's weird about this is that what you see as a messy clean up of the ambiguous hints, I see as a red herring. These guys know how obsessive we are, and I really think they won't do that to us. I'll leave that as it is, because I could go on and on about it. As for the statue, I think it was actually a very large statue, so they didn't necessecarily need to be that close to the beach to see the head.