Author Topic: Anyone else feel let down???  (Read 5568 times)

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else feel let down???
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »
I think we will see an evil side of Jacob there have already been hints.

Like dragging ships-ful of people to the island and to their deaths, just to prove a point to his brother?

Yeah, but I am not ready to call this "Evil" until we figure out how the SideLinetm ties in. If as a "Thanks for Playing" You get a new and largely improved life, then I can't say that drafting people into service for the well being of all mankind is evil

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »
Just a sad attempt to connect dots with a lame story, a tunnel of light?  Really?  Donkey wheels to manipulate the source of life and death?  Seems there is no real need to even try anymore.  After all, if the people don't like it so what.  We already got rich off of product.

Good? Evil? Jacob? Smokey? Who cares anymore.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:07:01 PM by jkbeaulieu »

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
Just a sad attempt to connect dots with a lame story, a tunnel of light?  Really?  Donkey wheels to manipulate the source of life and death?  Seems there is no real need to even try anymore.  After all, if the people don't like it so what.  We already got rich off of product.

Good? Evil? Jacob? Smokey? Who cares anymore.

Because with skies turning purple, magic mirror lighthouses, and islands going bloop, there should be perfectly scientific explainations for all that? Personally, I really liked how they showed that heart of the island, but didn't say something silly like "The core of the island is unobtanium." That would have been...how did you put it?...lame.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
I still think MiB is the antagonist of the show. We are seeing very clearly that different choices lead to very different people. Here we have the story of two brothers, one loved more than the other. In the present day we are watching as one member goes around fending and thinking only of himself. He thinks people are inherently bad and corrupt. The other brother has grown into a person with a more forgiving take on people. He has watched them at their most vulnerable and their greatest times and knows that inside all people are capable of good.

The thing that's interesting about this is that the brother who thinks people are so wonderful is the the brother who didn't grow up around any people except his mom!  How can he know beans about human nature?  He's only ever seen his brother and Crazy Mom!  OK, so apparently at some point he gained the ability to hop away from the island and observe people, so maybe he did actually "live" with other people to see what was good about them.  (yet another question we didn't get answered in this eppy was how that all came about...)  And there's the Lighthouse where he did his Peeping Tom imitation.  But has he actually "lived" with people?  He seems awfully pompous and sure of himself in that beach scene, for someone who's a total loner.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
I still think MiB is the antagonist of the show. We are seeing very clearly that different choices lead to very different people. Here we have the story of two brothers, one loved more than the other. In the present day we are watching as one member goes around fending and thinking only of himself. He thinks people are inherently bad and corrupt. The other brother has grown into a person with a more forgiving take on people. He has watched them at their most vulnerable and their greatest times and knows that inside all people are capable of good.

The thing that's interesting about this is that the brother who thinks people are so wonderful is the the brother who didn't grow up around any people except his mom!  How can he know beans about human nature?  He's only ever seen his brother and Crazy Mom!  OK, so apparently at some point he gained the ability to hop away from the island and observe people, so maybe he did actually "live" with other people to see what was good about them.  (yet another question we didn't get answered in this eppy was how that all came about...)  And there's the Lighthouse where he did his Peeping Tom imitation.  But has he actually "lived" with people?  He seems awfully pompous and sure of himself in that beach scene, for someone who's a total loner.

true, and I think this is where the line gets drawn by the viewers. Do you agree with Jacob or MiB regarding Human Nature. I agree with Jacob, and maybe that is why I find his motives to be justifiable.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
Just testing to see what happens if you add a new comment to this thread.

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 11:48:34 PM »
I had to come here to have the episode explained, take that for what it is worth. Glad this site has been here to explain everything to me all these years...ya'll are great!