Author Topic: So who installed the frozen wheel?  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Barringer

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
So who installed the frozen wheel?
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »
We saw that the man in black made the wheel, but his "mother" knocked him out and filled the well before it was actually placed. So... how did it get put into the state in which we saw Ben and Locke turn it to leave the island?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: So who installed the frozen wheel?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »
All I can assume is that other people who arrived at the island over the centuries also dug in that same spot, saw the donkey wheel, and put 2 and 2 together.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:51:51 AM »
We saw that the man in black made the wheel, but his "mother" knocked him out and filled the well before it was actually placed. So... how did it get put into the state in which we saw Ben and Locke turn it to leave the island?
Agree - that seemed to not make sense.  Not to mention, how did MiB decide that somehow the light source could transport him off the island, and putting a wheel there would somehow control the effect?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
Agree - that seemed to not make sense.  Not to mention, how did MiB decide that somehow the light source could transport him off the island, and putting a wheel there would somehow control the effect?

How did ANYBODY come to that conclusion? lol...Well, the people from the shipwreck had been there for, say, over 30 years. But I'd have a hard time imagining scientists today reaching that conclusion about the light source and the electromagnetic properties of the island, nonetheless scientists from 1,000 years ago.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:49:47 AM »
Well, "Mother" knocked out "Brother" at the bottom of the well.  But he woke up lying on the ground in the campsite of Claudia's people.

No telling how much time elapsed between those two moments.  They could have at least installed the wheel when they discovered his body and carried it back to the surface.  Then "Mother" kills them all and burns the campsite while "Brother" is still out.  Lame, but you have to give TPTB a break at this point.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:04:39 AM »
It was stated at least twice that MiB is special and Knows things without being taught. He knew how to play the game when it washed ashore, mother took the credit but it probably came from his peoples shipwreck. She wanted him to love her and take her place later. He knew what the light could be used for and told the others to help make the wheel. He knew because he is special and just knows things. Mother even asked him how he knew the wheel would send him off island.

This could play into Walt and Aaron having special abilities maybe like MiB has.

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
why couldn't it be mib himself taking some dead body's apparition ..i mean he could hold a baby and the lantern  as christian ..he is able to give dagger to richard   :-\

Offline 00Dawg

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:23:44 AM »
Lame, but you have to give TPTB a break at this point.
After how they handled last night's episode, I am disinclined to do so.  :D
Anyway, it's entirely possible that Smokey later shares the knowledge of installing the wheel with the next batch of folks to come, hoping to still use it in some way to get off the island, even if that only means using it to manipulate more people.  
I'm wondering if we're going to get clarification on the statue and temple like we did the wells.  Given that Jacob and MiB's people were Romans, I would've thought the statue and temple (and the game), appearing to be ancient Egyptian, would've already been there.  'Course, Egyptian lore didn't die with the rise of the Romans, so they could still show up later.  If you go with the Atlantis theory, and put the island originally in the Med, both peoples could easily shipwreck on the island.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
When Dr. Chang took the xray of the wall wasn't it still lying against the wall as it was in this episode. I assume Dharma put it together.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
When Dr. Chang took the xray of the wall wasn't it still lying against the wall as it was in this episode. I assume Dharma put it together.

Could you be that good to naill this?

I do not remember the xray myself but I do recall seeing the wagon wheel shape which it would not show if installed horizontally.

Great thought Sue

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »
Dharma had the scientific team with them so they probably are the ones that installed the donkey wheel with Smokey's help somehow. That would explain the polar bear in Tunsia--perhaps they sent a bear through first to see what would happen!  :)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
I have a semi-ridiculous idea that MiB had some sort of plan drawn up for "installing" the wheel, and someone found it. As for when Dharma found the wheel with the radar or whatever...

http://www.screencaps.org/SciFi/Lost/Season5/Episode1/LostS5E1-046.jpg

http://www.screencaps.org/SciFi/Lost/Season5/Episode1/LostS5E1-047.jpg

Looks like it is in the rock to me.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:54:35 AM »

Suzanne absolutely KILLING it today. Well played ma'am and I differ to you from here on out on all theories LOST. I think we can close this topic right up with this post.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
If I remember the xray image correctly, it showed half a wheel indicating it was already installed.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
If I remember the xray image correctly, it showed half a wheel indicating it was already installed.

Like I just posted. The Wheel was in the wall, behind all of the rock the D.I. was drilling and removing, so they most deffinitely did not put it there.