Author Topic: Time of Jacob & MIB's birth  (Read 3865 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Time of Jacob & MIB's birth
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »
That's what bugged me in the first place. I'm not sure they showed us the remains of the ship, because that would have helped (there must be some boat-expert on these boards  :) )

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
So, if this takes place in 23 AD, does that mean the island was, at the time, significantly closer to Europe? The explorers of the time didn't exactly take long-distance trips like that.

Dynamite also was nit invented when the Black Rock crashed into the island, not everything on the show is 100% historically accurate.

Offline katbriil

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 10:50:17 PM »
So, if this takes place in 23 AD, does that mean the island was, at the time, significantly closer to Europe? The explorers of the time didn't exactly take long-distance trips like that.

Dynamite also was nit invented when the Black Rock crashed into the island, not everything on the show is 100% historically accurate.

Oh, I know, I was just trying to figure out if the island was moving at the time, and where it might be. To be honest, it wasn't even my thought, it was my husbands, and I looked at him like he was insane when he suggested it, so I was really just throwing it out there to see if anyone else was thinking that way.

Offline Tekkaman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 08:28:40 AM »
We know the donkie wheel still has to be build and used. So it is possible that smokie made someone do this and by doing that they go back to ancient times resulting in the statue and the temple being build. So Jacob and Smokie could be there for a very long time indeed.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »

Dynamite also was not invented when the Black Rock crashed into the island, not everything on the show is 100% historically accurate.

Well, (just to be an insufferable know-it-all  ;))  yeah it was.  But, it's probably a fair argument that some ship from the Canary Islands would not be likely to have a huge store of this newly-invented item on board... unless ol'Magnus was a big player in the industry (or a time-traveller.  Which he might very well have been either.)  Anyway... it's too nit-picky to argue this point which obviously has no bearing on the story, so I'm not picking a fight, I'm just offering this up for your Google educational tip of the day... :D

In 1863, Alfred Nobel invented the Nobel patent detonator or blasting cap for detonating nitroglycerin. The Nobel patent detonator used a strong shock rather than heat combustion to ignite the explosives.  (Somebody should've told Ilana about this...)  The Nobel Company built the first factory to manufacture nitroglycerin and dynamite.

Nitroglycerin and Dynamite
Nitroglycerin was first invented by Italian chemist Ascanio Sobrero in 1846. In its natural liquid state, nitroglycerin is very volatile. Albert Nobel understood this and in 1866 he discovered that mixing nitroglycerine with silica would turn the liquid into a malleable paste, called dynamite. One advantage of dynamite over nitroglycerin was that it could be cylinder-shaped for insertion into the drilling holes used for mining.

Patenting of Dynamite
In 1867, Nobel received U.S. patent number 78,317 for his dynamite. To be able to detonate the dynamite rods, Nobel also improved his detonator (blasting cap) so that it could be ignited by lighting a fuse.