Author Topic: Time of Jacob & MIB's birth  (Read 3866 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Time of Jacob & MIB's birth
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:43:10 AM »
I am very courious about one thing: what year (or at least what period) did the ship with Jacob & MIB's mother crash on the island?
Since they were speaking a rather American English and there were ships big enough to cross the ocean, I assume it was not too far away from when the Black Rock crashed. If so, why the latin? And what about those egyptians???

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Time of Jacob & MIB's birth
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:47:28 AM »
I think the change to English was solely for the purposes of the watching audience, so that we wouldn't have to keep reading subtitles. I don't think the characters actually started speaking english in reality.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:55:33 AM »
I thought of that too, but still, it had to have been post 1000AD if people could build ships that can cross oceans. And the Roman Empire was in its peak much earlier. But maybe I don't know my history.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:02:06 AM »
Don't forget that the island is mobile according to Ms. Hawking. It could be any ancient, seafaring culture that once visited the island. I'm propagating the rumor is that they are from Atlantis. (late night kicks will be mine... oh, they will be!)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:35:45 AM »
I agree that the switch from Latin to English was just a contrivance so that the entire episode wouldn't have to be in captions.

"Brother" got his Roman knife from after living with Claudia's people, right?  Can anyone pinpoint what age of Roman culture it must be from the knife?

The game that Jacob and "Brother" were playing is the ancient Egyptian game Senet.  "Mother" said she left that for them to find -- so is she Egyptian?

Claudia's people built the wells and the Donkey Wheel.  What about the Egyptian statue and the (now underground) chambers with Egyptian hieroglyphs and images of Smokey?  If we just saw the "birth of Smokey", then that stuff has to be later than this point.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 04:40:16 AM »
Don't forget that the island is mobile according to Ms. Hawking. It could be any ancient, seafaring culture that once visited the island. I'm propagating the rumor is that they are from Atlantis. (late night kicks will be mine... oh, they will be!)

That Atlantis thing would work. Once they install the Donkey Wheel, and then test it out, the Island goes "bloop" and disappears...kinda fits the Atlantis myth. Not exactly, but close enough.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
I like the Atlantis angle, too.  I like it a lot!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
It's not Atlantis it's the Garden of Eden and the light is the Tree. Everyone put you fig leafs on

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
I think the change to English was solely for the purposes of the watching audience, so that we wouldn't have to keep reading subtitles. I don't think the characters actually started speaking english in reality.
I agree that the switch from Latin to English was just a contrivance so that the entire episode wouldn't have to be in captions.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but just for confirmations sake I am currently listening to Jorge Garcia's podcast and they just read from the script, saying "As she says it in Latin, we push in on Mother and do the infamous Hunt For Red October language swap and from here on in we hear them speak English."

Offline rdudeck

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
I believe that the time period that they arrived was 23 AD (confirmend by TPTB.)  As for the statue and the underground caverns/ heiroglyphics, they we probably already there.  The statue, based on the dating of it, would go back about 3-4 thousand years, I'm guessing.  I think the idea is that people have been drawn to this island for a very, very long time!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
Keep in mind that just because we have the earliest recorded boat travel as XXXX B.C.E. doesn't mean there wasn't any other boat travels happening before then. I mean how many times have you ever heard about some ancient inventor or thinker having to hide their work from people or otherwise beconsidered a witch or something?? LOL But seriously, just trying to play Devil's advocate here.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:11:01 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
If this happened in 23AD, do you realise Jesus was supposedly alive when Jacob and MIB were born?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
If this happened in 23AD, do you realise Jesus was supposedly alive when Jacob and MIB were born?

Why 23 A.D.?? Such a random number to come up with.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
"Jacob has a thing for numbers" so it could have easily been 4 A.D., 8 A.D., 15A.D., 16 A.D., or 42A.D., as well--  ;D

Offline katbriil

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
So, if this takes place in 23 AD, does that mean the island was, at the time, significantly closer to Europe? The explorers of the time didn't exactly take long-distance trips like that.