Author Topic: So who destroyed the well and camp?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: So who destroyed the well and camp?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
it was the mother ..she apparently killed  ppl to safeguard the island

if u really need a crazy theory here goes she was a smokie herself .. sshhh don't tell anyone  ;D

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I'm inclined to agree with you. The village carnage looked alot like the Temple after MIB tore through it. Also, Mother explained the light as if she had actually experienced it herself. And if she went in there, maybe it had the same effect on her as it did with MIB. So in theory, there could be more than 1 smoke monster...but yeah, thats a bit out there.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »
I agree that she was a smokie herself. She was killed the way that Sayid was told to kill Flocke. She had to be powerful to kill all of those people and fill that hole.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
So he's undead...another clue to the Lost Zombie season...

neither alive or dead...but undead...made to walk the earth for eternity...

I don't think it would take too much to colapse the hole, it was lined with rock, we don't know how fragile the hole was...one lost beam and the whole hole could colapse....

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »
I agree that she was a smokie herself. She was killed the way that Sayid was told to kill Flocke. She had to be powerful to kill all of those people and fill that hole.

I agree and disagree with you here. I don't think Dogen ever intended for Sayid to be successful. I actually believe Locke when he said that Dogen sent Sayid there so Locke would kill him. I think the "kill him before he speaks" gets taken a little too literally. I mean, the poor schmucks guarding the plane didn't let Locke talk, but he was invincible to them.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »
Key point is, does it matter how she did it?

"there is a freaking smoke monster on the show people" quote Damon Lindelof

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »

Well yes, because there was no smoke monster in the show when the well collapsed!!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »

Well yes, because there was no smoke monster in the show when the well collapsed!!
but there is in the show..which goes to show the extent of the reality of the Lost...Damon Lindelof has stated many times, some things cannot be explained, it only a TV show, and I know the fans won't be happy but it is what it is...I'm not talking about continuity, but it is fantasy/fiction...
It's like trying to find a rational answer in an irrational situation...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »

but there is in the show..which goes to show the extent of the reality of the Lost...Damon Lindelof has stated many times, some things cannot be explained, it only a TV show, and I know the fans won't be happy but it is what it is...I'm not talking about continuity, but it is fantasy/fiction...
I understand, it was a poor attempt at humor

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

I understand, it was a poor attempt at humor
I laughed, because I really hadn't thought of that when I said it...but i was talking as a whole, but you were right at the timing of it and smokey LOL ;D

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »
They said it was her. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Next topic.

I missed where they said she did it.  Doesn't it seem odd that she could fill the well, including knocking a tree over on top of it, and take out 10-15 people without getting a scratch on her?

There was a post-show interview with Damon and Carlton where the interviewer said something about "...after Mother killed all the Others and destroyed their camp," and they didn't disabuse the interviewer of that impression.  They didn't flat-out state that she did do it, but they continued on with answering the question as if that assumption was correct.  Now, whether or not Mom was Smokey at the time or not, I do not know.  I tend to think not.  I think Smokey was bottled up until MIB went over the falls.  The "eruption" of Smokey out of that spring seemed kinda, I don't know... is "joyful" the right word?  It reminded me of the Genie in "Aladdin" -- "Ten thousand years can give you SUCH a crick in the neck!" 

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
They said it was her. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Next topic.

I missed where they said she did it.  Doesn't it seem odd that she could fill the well, including knocking a tree over on top of it, and take out 10-15 people without getting a scratch on her?

There was a post-show interview with Damon and Carlton where the interviewer said something about "...after Mother killed all the Others and destroyed their camp," and they didn't disabuse the interviewer of that impression.  They didn't flat-out state that she did do it, but they continued on with answering the question as if that assumption was correct.  Now, whether or not Mom was Smokey at the time or not, I do not know.  I tend to think not.  I think Smokey was bottled up until MIB went over the falls.  The "eruption" of Smokey out of that spring seemed kinda, I don't know... is "joyful" the right word?  It reminded me of the Genie in "Aladdin" -- "Ten thousand years can give you SUCH a crick in the neck!" 

I agree. That scene was to show the viewers the creation of Smokey and where he came from.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »
Well, I don't know that it showed us the creation of Smokey as much as it showed us the release of him upon our world / our story.  I think he was already stuck down over that waterfall.

The creation of him is still part of what I want to know, and apparently something we aren't going to get -- if it's part of the "mythology" of the series.

I wonder if they'll at least tell us about the mechanical noises?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »

Right, but I like the idea that the hole was just lined with rocks. She could have dislodged one or two and gravity would have done the rest. Any work that wasn't done she could have piled some more dirt on the top for good measure. MiB could have been out for hours.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »

Right, but I like the idea that the hole was just lined with rocks. She could have dislodged one or two and gravity would have done the rest. Any work that wasn't done she could have piled some more dirt on the top for good measure. MiB could have been out for hours.

Semi possible, but it was filled to the brim with dirt. Then, she single handedly killed the village people? She's not Chuck Norris. Then I'd believe it.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

I agree and disagree with you here. I don't think Dogen ever intended for Sayid to be successful. I actually believe Locke when he said that Dogen sent Sayid there so Locke would kill him. I think the "kill him before he speaks" gets taken a little too literally. I mean, the poor schmucks guarding the plane didn't let Locke talk, but he was invincible to them.
I think Juggy may have a point here.  If we assume for a moment that "Mom" had some of the same "Smokie" capabilities and Dogen told Sayid the proper way to kill Flocke (thinking that either way - a dead Flocke or a dead Sayid - he's made progress), then the scene plays properly.  The other thing that makes it possible in my mind was "Mom's" reaction... she said "thank you" as if it was a release and a relief.

Or not.  That works, too.

What if MiB is actually the protector of the island and he just doesn't know it?  "Mom" was protector (as a "Smokie"... only you can prevent forest fires, er, Island damage) and she knew that "Brother" would eventually find his way into that light (by choice or not)... that could have been the real "transition" moment.  Just another random thought.