Author Topic: MIB's the GOOD GUY now...  (Read 9122 times)

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: MIB's the GOOD GUY now...
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
I assumed that MIBs remark to jacob about his people being bad/corrupt/destructive was because he wanted to leave and his family (im assuming his dad was shipwrecked too) /friends were travelling to a new world to start a new life and just wanted to set up camp to live out days ( not look for rescue or a way off)...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
I assumed that MIBs remark to jacob about his people being bad/corrupt/destructive was because he wanted to leave and his family (im assuming his dad was shipwrecked too) /friends were travelling to a new world to start a new life and just wanted to set up camp to live out days ( not look for rescue or a way off)...

It must have been quite a culture shock for him to see the settlement.  He has lived his whole life under his mother's wing.  Mom was rearing them up to be possible protectors after her reign was over.  (What did one snowman say to the other snowman?)  They lived a life that was sheltered.  It was probably surprising to see a society where people get drunk, fights break out, people fish for their own fish etc.  I guess he was so ready to see the bad in humanity (thanks, mom!) he over looked a lot of the good.  He did touch on their thirst for knowledge, their curiosity.  After what we saw it's pretty easy to see why maybe Jacob hates technology!

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »

It must have been quite a culture shock for him to see the settlement.  He has lived his whole life under his mother's wing.  Mom was rearing them up to be possible protectors after her reign was over.  (What did one snowman say to the other snowman?)  They lived a life that was sheltered.  It was probably surprising to see a society where people get drunk, fights break out, people fish for their own fish etc.  I guess he was so ready to see the bad in humanity (thanks, mom!) he over looked a lot of the good.  He did touch on their thirst for knowledge, their curiosity.  After what we saw it's pretty easy to see why maybe Jacob hates technology!

Great reasoning. The best part of the episode for me is the children asking Mother "what's a ship?", "what's dead?" or "what's across the sea"?
MIB's only crime is being curious. His mother was acting almost like that Austrian psycho Fritzl (except for the raping part), keeping the kids away from the light (and I'm not talking about the cave here). The 'knowledge is bad' state of mind seems to have infected Mother and then Jacob. The episode was great at character level (that Titus guy can sure act, and his motives really made sense) but partially failed at mythological level by explaining everything with "it's magic", "you can make your own rules" etc.

Offline Justin

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
for the ppl that think the smoke monster is not the man in black...i disagree.
smokey still wants to leave. still cant kill jacob. sure it was taking the form of his old body in "the incident" and "ab aterno", but its still his own soul. he turned into the smoke monster.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
smokey still wants to leave. still cant kill jacob. sure it was taking the form of his old body in "the incident" and "ab aterno", but its still his own soul. he turned into the smoke monster.

Well said. Remember the butterfly we saw in Ab Aeterno? Seemed a bit random at the time, but now it looks like excellent symbolism, doesn't it?

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »

Well said. Remember the butterfly we saw in Ab Aeterno? Seemed a bit random at the time, but now it looks like excellent symbolism, doesn't it?

Yeah I like this.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »

BAM!  Let me just pick my brains up off of the floor!